Expansion Draft question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardi44

Jan 31, 2011
Two questions on expansion draft:

Do players who are RFA (Strome etc. ) count towards protected/unprotected list?

My eyes might be deceiving me, but Brady and Trouba and Buch do not have NMC? Would think that means they will be ones unprotected.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
NMC guarantees protection. Outside of that, the team can pick and choose who to protect within the rules.

By the time expansion arrives, Trouba's NMC will be in effect.

Now, at that time, pending UFAs like Lundqvist, Staal, Smith, etc. won't need to be protected. Not sure if the same goes for pending RFAs (Buch/Lias/Chytil/etc.). Were there pending RFA's during the Vegas expansion (not just for NYR, but league-wide)?

Ardi44

Jan 31, 2011
NMC guarantees protection. Outside of that, the team can pick and choose who to protect within the rules.

By the time expansion arrives, Trouba's NMC will be in effect.

Now, at that time, pending UFAs like Lundqvist, Staal, Smith, etc. won't need to be protected. Not sure if the same goes for pending RFAs (Buch/Lias/Chytil/etc.). Were there pending RFA's during the Vegas expansion (not just for NYR, but league-wide)?

Right, that i get. but, according to cap friendly, Brady, Trouba and Buch do not have NMC listed which is odd, no?

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Right, that i get. but, according to cap friendly, Brady, Trouba and Buch do not have NMC listed which is odd, no?

Those guys have an NMC by virtue of the fact that they would be claimed if they were waived, so the Rangers obviously won’t waive them. On the player side, not bargaining for an NMC/NTC allows for some more cash leverage.

Ardi44

Jan 31, 2011
Those guys have an NMC by virtue of the fact that they would be claimed if they were waived, so the Rangers obviously won’t waive them. On the player side, not bargaining for an NMC/NTC allows for some more cash leverage.

But* that means they can be exposed in the expansion draft then

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
NMC have to be protected. Unless it’s an expiring NMC. Trouba has a NMC starting in 20-21. The Rangers have to protect him. Lundqvist has an expiring NMC. The Rangers don’t have to protect him. Panarin and Zibanejad have NMC. The Rangers have to protect them.

The expansion draft is for the 21-22 season.

1st and 2nd year pros are exempt. Kakko. Kravstov. Fox. Exempt.

The others with 3 years or more pro experience are eligible. Andersson. Howden. Chytil. The Rangers would need to protect them.

Ardi44

Jan 31, 2011
NMC have to be protected. Unless it’s an expiring NMC. Trouba has a NMC starting in 20-21. The Rangers have to protect him. Lundqvist has an expiring NMC. The Rangers don’t have to protect him. Panarin and Zibanejad have NMC. The Rangers have to protect them.

The others with 3 years or more pro experience are eligible. Andersson. Howden. Chytil. The Rangers would need to protect them.
thank you for that. didnt know.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
RFAs need to be protected if they aren't exempt...not that we are forced to protect them like guys with NMC but in that they can be claimed.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
RFAs need to be protected if they aren't exempt...not that we are forced to protect them like guys with NMC but in that they can be claimed.
Depending on who they are, that may not be bad. Then you could offer sheet the guy if the compensation was low enough. It would be Like losing a second or third round in the expansion draft.

SickNice

Oct 7, 2005
Hoboken, NJ
Depending on who they are, that may not be bad. Then you could offer sheet the guy if the compensation was low enough. It would be Like losing a second or third round in the expansion draft.
which in almost every case would be matched by rights-holding team

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
RfA's are exposed if not protected.
NYR will lose a good or promising player.
But just 1.
I, for one, refuse to get nuts about it.
I say, dont overthink or maneuver, craft a protected list that FO likes, and let it happen.

Been watching these since early '70's, almost always much ado about nothing.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Bingo.

So to be clearer the Rangers will have to have at least one eligible to be drafted goalie. Shesterkin and Huska are exempt. If Georgiev is still around and the choice is between him and Henrik--you keep Georgiev.

Then the Rangers will have to choose whether to protect 10 players or 8. The thing with protecting 10 is you can only protect 3 eligible defensemen. If you protect 8 you can protect any combination of defensemen or forwards that add up to 8 eligible players.

Exempt from the expansion draft--Kakko, Kravtsov, Fox, Rykov, Reunanen, Shesterkin--K'Andre, Lundkvist, Robertson etc. and other currently unsigned will be exempt too.

Players who will not be exempt--some of whom might be with other teams by then:

F-Panarin (NMC--has to be protected), Zibanejad (NMC-has to be protected), Kreider, Buchnevich, Namestnikov, Fast, Strome, Andersson, Chtyil, Howden, Lemieux.

D-Trouba (NMC-has to be protected), Skjei, DeAngelo, Hajek, Lindgren, Staal, Smith.

And then there will be a bunch of other guys like Nieves, McKegg, Lettieri, etc but the above are the main ones.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Bingo.

So to be clearer the Rangers will have to have at least one eligible to be drafted goalie. Shesterkin and Huska are exempt. If Georgiev is still around and the choice is between him and Henrik--you keep Georgiev.

Then the Rangers will have to choose whether to protect 10 players or 8. The thing with protecting 10 is you can only protect 3 eligible defensemen. If you protect 8 you can protect any combination of defensemen or forwards that add up to 8 eligible players.

Exempt from the expansion draft--Kakko, Kravtsov, Fox, Rykov, Reunanen, Shesterkin--K'Andre, Lundkvist, Robertson etc. and other currently unsigned will be exempt too.

Players who will not be exempt--some of whom might be with other teams by then:

F-Panarin (NMC--has to be protected), Zibanejad (NMC-has to be protected), Kreider, Buchnevich, Namestnikov, Fast, Strome, Andersson, Chtyil, Howden, Lemieux.

D-Trouba (NMC-has to be protected), Skjei, DeAngelo, Hajek, Lindgren, Staal, Smith.

And then there will be a bunch of other guys like Nieves, McKegg, Lettieri, etc but the above are the main ones.
The Rangers are actually in a fantastic spot as regards the expansion draft – in fact, based on where the roster stands now, they may actually need to acquire players for the specific purpose of exposing them.

As of now, you protect:

F: Panarin, Zibanejad, Buchnevich, Andersson, Chytil, Howden, Lemieux.
D: Trouba, Skjei, Hajek.
G: Georgiev.

Seattle likely takes ADA.

(I know people are going to get on me for choosing Hajek over ADA, but in my mind, by that time, a) Hajek will have proven himself a very valuable all-around defenseman, b) Lundkvist will be ready, and c) ADA, despite his offensive prowess will continue to be both a problem child and a defensive liability.)

Last edited:

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
The Rangers are actually in a fantastic spot as regards the expansion draft – in fact, based on where the roster stands now, they may actually need to acquire players for the specific purpose of exposing them.

As of now, you protect:

G: Georgiev

(I know people are going to get on me for choosing Hajek over ADA, but in my mind, by that time, a) Hajek will have proven himself a very valuable all-around defenseman, b) Lundkvist will be ready, and c) ADA, despite his offensive prowess will continue to be both a problem child and a defensive liability.)
I don't want to lose ADA, but this absolutely makes sense... However, I just hope that Gorton has the foresight to get value for him prior to the ED and sign some vet on a short-term deal to expose instead.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

As of now, you protect:

G: Georgiev

It could happen exactly that way but I'm not sure on DeAngelo. Hajek might turn out great but there are also a whole lot of LD coming and I'm thinking Rykov has a shot to end up with the Rangers after camp which would probably mean Hajek back in Hartford. But K'Andre Miller, Robertson, Reunanen and Lindgren also LD. We're deeper on that side. I'd also wonder if at that point the Rangers would consider moving on from Skjei--not in the expansion draft mind you but as part of a deal. If K'Andre comes in and blows off the doors I could see that happening.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I think I’d rather expose Skjei than DeAngelo. That might be a hot take.

We should probably try to make a deal with Seattle like other teams did with Vegas to take someone less desirable.

Reactions: Ola and bernmeister

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
If Shestoykin shows something this year, I wonder if they consider moving Georgiev next summer so they can go with Lundqvist and Shestyorkin in 2020-21. Neither of them require protection, so they could grab a goalie from a team that needs to protect two potentially on the cheap to tandem with Shestyorkin. Ilya Samsonov will require protection. Who knows which prospects will have emerged in that time? Kaapo Kahkonen? That would be fun!

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens

As of now, you protect:

I think with the defense you need to see how the prospects shake out. There are so many solid defensive prospects that I think you make a call on LD/RD depending on how they all have progressed. If Skjei doesn't take a step forward and isn't worth the $5m we're paying him, would we leave him exposed and hope that Seattle takes his contract? Lots to consider on D.

But I think you're spot on with the forwards. Only question in my eyes is if we re-sign Kreider, what happens then? I don't think we will re-sign him, but hypothetically if he re-signs with an NTC/NMC we'd have to leave one of the kids exposed.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

As usual, RB usually has the best take.

As of now, you protect:

No bones about you keeping Hajek there.
Should move Skjei and ADA as soon as possible if/when the return is high enough.
Later, who knows?
Right now,
Philly is churning over Prov not close to signing and not as high as Ghost.
also
Det needs D. badly.

If Shestoykin shows something this year, I wonder if they consider moving Georgiev next summer so they can go with Lundqvist and Shestyorkin in 2020-21. Neither of them require protection, so they could grab a goalie from a team that needs to protect two potentially on the cheap to tandem with Shestyorkin. Ilya Samsonov will require protection. Who knows which prospects will have emerged in that time? Kaapo Kahkonen? That would be fun!
We should move Georgiev once somebody ponies up enuf.
Should be gone before the exp draft.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
As usual, RB usually has the best take.

No bones about you keeping Hajek there.
Should move Skjei and ADA as soon as possible if/when the return is high enough.
Later, who knows?
Right now,
Philly is churning over Prov not close to signing and not as high as Ghost.
also
Det needs D. badly.

We should move Georgiev once somebody ponies up enuf.
Should be gone before the exp draft.

expansion draft has zero impact on georgiev's future since we don't have any other goalies to protect.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
The one thing that the Rangers have to do is make two forwards and one defenseman available who are a) RFA or under contract and b) have played 40 NHL games in 20-21 or 70 NHL games in 19-20 and 20-21. (e.g the Greg McKeggs of the world)

Given all of the young assets that the Rangers have (and will have) you may see some guys get contracts that stretch into 21-22 to cover this need.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Exempt: Kravtsov, Rykov, Reunanen, Shestyorkin, Kakko, Fox (anyone whose first NHL contract started on or after July 1st, 2019)
Mandatory protection: Zibanejad, Panarin*

That leaves 5 forwards, 3 defensemen and 1 goalie to protect.

Pending UFAs do not require protection even with a NMC. 2021 pending RFAs are under control, so they are seen as long-term assets (or at least past the 2021 off-season). Chytil, Lias, Howden, Buchnevich etc would need to be protected.

My guess for the protection list because of these factors, is this:

7 forwards: Panarin, Zibanejad, Buchnevich, Chytil, Andersson, Howden. 1 spot left for either Strome, Fast or Lemieux (assuming they are still on the team)
3 defensemen: Trouba, Skjei, DeAngelo
1 goalie: Georgiev

Exposure is easy. they can expose a guy like Hajek on defense, one of Lemieux/Fast/Strome and some minor league goalie who fits the criteria. Finding the players to expose is the easy part. It's determining who to protect, that is tricky for a lot of teams.

*The mandatory protection could be subject to change because NHL contracts aren't as clear on no-movement clauses as we may think. The Vegas expansion draft had players on NMCs not be automatically protected and then players who had a NTC were.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Exempt: Kravtsov, Rykov, Reunanen, Shestyorkin, Kakko, Fox (anyone whose first NHL contract started on or after July 1st, 2019)
Mandatory protection: Zibanejad, Panarin*

That leaves 5 forwards, 3 defensemen and 1 goalie to protect.

Pending UFAs do not require protection even with a NMC. 2021 pending RFAs are under control, so they are seen as long-term assets (or at least past the 2021 off-season). Chytil, Lias, Howden, Buchnevich etc would need to be protected.

My guess for the protection list because of these factors, is this:

7 forwards: Panarin, Zibanejad, Buchnevich, Chytil, Andersson, Howden. 1 spot left for either Strome, Fast or Lemieux (assuming they are still on the team)
3 defensemen: Trouba, Skjei, DeAngelo
1 goalie: Georgiev

Exposure is easy. they can expose a guy like Hajek on defense, one of Lemieux/Fast/Strome and some minor league goalie who fits the criteria. Finding the players to expose is the easy part. It's determining who to protect, that is tricky for a lot of teams.

*The mandatory protection could be subject to change because NHL contracts aren't as clear on no-movement clauses as we may think. The Vegas expansion draft had players on NMCs not be automatically protected and then players who had a NTC were.

Trouba is mandatory protection too. It just doesn't show up on the front Rangers page of Cap Friendly but if you go on Trouba's page it does.

Reactions: bernmeister
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad