Expansion Draft II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Deckard

Mar 30, 2006
Germany
I tried to do the protections for the Expansion Draft and stumbled over another possibility to get rid of some veterans.

The Flyers will expose at least three forwards that fulfill the criteria of forwards each team has to expose (signed next season, played a certain amount of games recently): Three of Raffl, Read, Weise, Bellemare will be available.

Other teams can't protect their seven best forwards due to that criteria and therefor may be interested in aquiring one of them.

(Another option for them could be extending one of their own players to be exposed.)

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
I think there will be a lot of player movement in general and there will be the possibility to trade for a forward that would be an upgrade on one we have. Hard to speculate who that could be though. Once the protected lists are out, then potential scenarios can be drawn.

Anyone you have in mind?

Rick Deckard

Mar 30, 2006
Germany
It's more along the lines of getting rid of one more veteran. The Flyers expose at least three players who fulfill the 40/70 game requirement and are under contract for next season: Read, Raffl, Weise, Bellemare (one of them can be protected).

There are teams in the league that have to leave one of their seven best forwards unprotected because otherwise they wouldn't have enough forwards they can expose that fulfill these criteria.

Maybe it's possible to send them one of the mentioned players. Afterwards they can protect their own players and have enough veterans they can expose.

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
It's more along the lines of getting rid of one more veteran. The Flyers expose at least three players who fulfill the 40/70 game requirement and are under contract for next season: Read, Raffl, Weise, Bellemare (one of them can be protected).

There are teams in the league that have to leave one of their seven best forwards unprotected because otherwise they wouldn't have enough forwards they can expose that fulfill these criteria.

Maybe it's possible to send them one of the mentioned players. Afterwards they can protect their own players and have enough veterans they can expose.

I see. That could be leverage in a trade for sure. Imagine some team giving more for any of those guys. Sign me up.

I still think there could be an opportunity too to get a better forward than one we have is a similar fashion.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Would there be any chance they would take MacDonald? He does play a reliable game in that he always plays the same and you'll know where he will be.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think our forwards are better value for Vegas. They will be getting dmen from a lot of other teams.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Would there be any chance they would take MacDonald? He does play a reliable game in that he always plays the same and you'll know where he will be.

No.

McPhee has said the WORST pick you can make, is to take a bad contract with lots of term. He said it is better to treat the pick as a throwaway and pick someone with no term instead.

Rick Deckard

Mar 30, 2006
Germany
We need a new thread here, but does somebody want to make a new poll too?

Bump, if a poll is needed, I will add one.

[...]

Back to the wink, wink Weal Deal... So... it is okay to make Deals with Vegas behind the scenes to make sure they don't select a Player... but it is not okay to make a deal with your own UFA to make sure he doesn't get selected??? Damn this 'New' NHL. :shakehead

I think you can offer Weal a deal and he leaves it unsigned, if he wants to stay in Philly he doesn't signs it prior to the Expansion Draft, if Vegas offers a better deal, he can negotiate the Flyers offer or agree to play for Vegas (Philadelphia keeps everyone else), if Vegas claims him without a contract (possible, but unlikely) he can still sign in Philadelphia as an UFA. If he wants to play in Philly he has all options and the Flyers won't circumvent the rules.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I think you can offer Weal a deal and he leaves it unsigned, if he wants to stay in Philly he doesn't signs it prior to the Expansion Draft, if Vegas offers a better deal, he can negotiate the Flyers offer or agree to play for Vegas (Philadelphia keeps everyone else), if Vegas claims him without a contract (possible, but unlikely) he can still sign in Philadelphia as an UFA. If he wants to play in Philly he has all options and the Flyers won't circumvent the rules.

That makes sense to me... I hope it does to the people in the NHL calling the shots.

Thanks for the input.

Flyers1987

Apr 23, 2017
Vegas, if Del Zotto is willing to play there, should be looked at hard as the player claimed off the Flyers. Also if Vegas is in love with Steve Mason and can come to a nice long term deal, Steve Mason could be the player claimed off the Flyers. There are alot of goalies available though.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I dont get why they just dont sign weal and protect him. I mean, who else are they going to protect with that spot? Bellmare? Because Ill seriously be pissed if thats the case.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I dont get why they just dont sign weal and protect him. I mean, who else are they going to protect with that spot? Bellmare? Because Ill seriously be pissed if thats the case.

Raffl is someone they may not want to lose, but at the same time, now that we landed a top 2 pick in the Draft, we can likely spare him. I'd be okay with signing Weal and chancing losing Raffl.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Vegas, if Del Zotto is willing to play there, should be looked at hard as the player claimed off the Flyers. Also if Vegas is in love with Steve Mason and can come to a nice long term deal, Steve Mason could be the player claimed off the Flyers. There are alot of goalies available though.

Both players are UFA, why select their rights when the signing period is just a bit more than a week after?

Flyers1987

Apr 23, 2017
Both players are UFA, why select their rights when the signing period is just a bit more than a week after?
According to the article below, there is a 48 hour window before the expansion draft to agree to terms with a UFA. If Vegas when projecting their team thinks Del Zotto is an upgrade, plus Del Zotto is willing to sign there, it could happen. This could avoid a free agent bidding battle with other teams. Waiting til after the draft is possible but Vegas now has a higher risk of losing him and these deals will be scrutinized just like a Weal to Philly deal after the expansion draft. If Vegas is trying to build a winner right out of the start, I believe Del Zotto and Mason should warrant consideration to be signed to a free agency deal then selected in the expansion draft.

Specifically, GMs worry that Vegas could take advantage of the 48-hour window before the expansion draft in June to quietly agree to terms on a deal with a pending unrestricted free agent, then wait until July 1 to sign him, so as to pluck another player off a team's roster in the expansion draft.

Flyers1987

Apr 23, 2017
According to the article below, there is a 48 hour window before the expansion draft to agree to terms with a UFA. If Vegas when projecting their team thinks Del Zotto is an upgrade, plus Del Zotto is willing to sign there, it could happen. This could avoid a free agent bidding battle with other teams. Waiting til after the draft is possible but Vegas now has a higher risk of losing him and these deals will be scrutinized just like a Weal to Philly deal after the expansion draft. If Vegas is trying to build a winner right out of the start, I believe Del Zotto and Mason should warrant consideration to be signed to a free agency deal then selected in the expansion draft.

Specifically, GMs worry that Vegas could take advantage of the 48-hour window before the expansion draft in June to quietly agree to terms on a deal with a pending unrestricted free agent, then wait until July 1 to sign him, so as to pluck another player off a team's roster in the expansion draft.
I like Del Zotto. Had an off year and injury plagued. But a three year $8 million dollar deal for Del Zotto to fill a D role in Vegas would not be bad. Is only 26 years old. Think this is an option to consider for Vegas versus other Flyers to claim. Plus he can be a DJ out there.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers will protect Laughton, he'll be 23 next year, he scored at a higher rate a 5x5 at age 21 than Drouin, so offensive skills are not an issue, he was sent down to work on his defense, and from all reports took his demotion to heart and improved. You don't give up on young players with his size and speed.

I like Weal, but he has limited upside, he can score 20 goals a year, but he's always going to be limited in other aspects of the game. I'd like him back, but not at the expense of keeping a young player with more upside.

I have no problem exposing the veteran forwards, Raffl is at the point in his career where injuries will always be an issue, as we've seen with Read. PEB is replaceable, and Weiss - was his last month a fluke or something special - doubt LV will gamble on that unless they can trade for Couts!

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I am wondering if LV will end up with bellemare because he does bring speed and from with him getting the A probably veteran leadership. Maybe they agreed to select him with an extension? There really arent many great options from the flyers so maybe we all will get lucky.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I am wondering if LV will end up with bellemare because he does bring speed and from with him getting the A probably veteran leadership. Maybe they agreed to select him with an extension? There really arent many great options from the flyers so maybe we all will get lucky.

That's assuming Hextall doesn't decide to protect him :laugh:

I still think Neuvirth could be in the cards for Vegas with the McPhee connection there.

If it's neither and he's not protected, my money is on Raffl. He's only 28 years old, has a reasonable cap hit, and should put up 10-15 goals and 30 points if given a top 9 role.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/05/03...-veteran-players-exempt-from-expansion-draft/

According to Craig Custance, the league and the players’ association have agreed on a small list of players that will be exempt from being selected by Vegas.

Here’s the official list of names that was sent to every NHL team: Dave Bolland (Arizona), Craig Cunningham (Arizona), Chris Pronger (Arizona), Cody McCormick (Buffalo), David Clarkson (Columbus), Johan Franzen (Detroit), Joe Vitale (Detroit), Ryane Clowe (New Jersey), Mikhail Grabovski (Islanders), Pascal Dupuis (Penguins), Nathan Horton (Toronto), Stephane Robidas (Toronto).

In each case, the player has been forced to miss an extended period of time because of a serious injury, but they haven’t officially retired.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
LeBrun is tweeting that teams can offer an asset to Vegas in exchange for them signing an unprotected UFA or RFA prior to the ED, holding that player until after the expansion draft, then flipping them the player afterwards.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That is something to consider for Vegas obviously because in previous rounds of expansion, you used to get compensation picks for UFA's who signed with another teams. So teams would also pick a bunch of UFA's and hoard the compensation picks.

Better players are also being made available.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
would you take beaulieu to protect him rather than manning ?

Guy Gadowsky

May 10, 2017
The fake expansion draft from the Ottawa sports conference had the Flyers protecting Giroux, Flippula, Schenn, Simmonds, Voracek, Couturier, and Raffl among the forwards. Manning, Ghostbear, Gudas, and Stolarz were the remaining players.

I really only disagree with Raffl. Cousins and Laughton are better players imo and better targets for Vegas. Probably go with Cousins as I think the org has a better role for Cousins than Laughton. (Pang took Pebbles, Cullen took Cousins)

https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft?otthac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad