Expansion Draft Ideas

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I'd prefer to keep Ellis and Ekholm. That may just be me though. If you had to trade one of them, I'd trade Ellis. Really don't want to do it though.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I'd prefer to keep Ellis and Ekholm. That may just be me though. If you had to trade one of them, I'd trade Ellis. Really don't want to do it though.

Me too. No interest in touching our top-4 knowing that we don't have literally anybody in the pipeline. That's why I'd prefer to draft a d-man in the 1st round.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
So if the rumors are true and that players with NMC's are indeed immune from the expansion draft, this would mean that we wouldn't have to protect Rinne, which would mean we would get to protect Saros.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
So if the rumors are true and that players with NMC's are indeed immune from the expansion draft, this would mean that we wouldn't have to protect Rinne, which would mean we would get to protect Saros.

Yep, and if those rumors are true, we gotta give everybody we sign now until the expansion draft NMC. Especially Forsberg.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

is it true that they are "immune" or is it that teams must protect them? I cant imagine that its the former because that rewards teams for handing out NMCs like candy (but if its true Id imagine both Forsberg and Johansen get NMCs with their new contracts)

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Yeah I think it's that NMC = "must protect". You can expose players with no-trade clauses based on what I've read, but not no-movement clauses.

So I think it's more likely that NMC means Rinne HAS to be protected.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Yep, and if those rumors are true, we gotta give everybody we sign now until the expansion draft NMC. Especially Forsberg.

If they are indeed immune, I assume it would exclude any fresh and short NMCs signed after the agreement.

PeterLax

Aug 23, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If they are indeed immune, I assume it would exclude any fresh and short NMCs signed after the agreement.

Along with the fact only players going into UFA years are eligible for a NMC, so we wouldn't be able to give one to Forsberg.

There's no way that rule is going to fly. Chicago would be eligible to protect 14 players if that was the case. Every team is going to be giving up a middle-6 forward or a 2nd line D. Just because you made a poor choice with your NMCs, doesn't give you an advantage in this draft. Let's be real here though, it's going to be someone like Wilson or Jarnkrok, nobody is taking Saros unless he has a breakout year next year. Poile will offer a pick to protect Ellis, like has been done in many expansion drafts before.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Me too. No interest in touching our top-4 knowing that we don't have literally anybody in the pipeline. That's why I'd prefer to draft a d-man in the 1st round.

You said that twice in this thread. I will disagree.

Nashville had Aronson. He scored 40 points (5th in scoring) in 64 games, but almost all were assists, for a +5. He was as good as Bartley on defense. He would get better in the NHL. He would have been a #5 or #6 D-man, maybe a #4 some day.

Jimmy Oligny is another Ellis type player. I could see him him as a #4 in the NHL. He plays bigger than his size at the AHL level. He is 5'11" and 209 pounds. He just turned 23 last month. Oligny throws a few big checks like Greg Zanon. You need to keep an eye on him if you are an opposing forward with the puck. He is a stay at home type D-man, not much offense, but he was a +14.

Ellis is 5'10" and 180 pounds, is 25.5 and rarely checked anyone in Milwaukee. Both are steady, not flashy defenders.

Trevor Murphy had 32 points in 59 games. He helped out on the offense and was a +4. He was a good defender. He is 5'11" and 180 pounds, he will be 21 in July.

There isn't a Shea Weber in Milwaukee, but Oligny could play on the third pair next season. Murphy could be a future Pred in 2 years. He is still on the young side.

Last edited:

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
You said that twice in this thread. I will disagree.

Nashville had Aronson. He scored 40 points (5th in scoring) in 64 games, but almost all were assists, for a +5. He was as good as Bartley on defense. He would get better in the NHL. He would have been a #5 or #6 D-man, maybe a #4 some day.

Jimmy Oligny is another Ellis type player. I could see him him as a #4 in the NHL. He plays bigger than his size at the AHL level. He is 5'11" and 209 pounds. He just turned 23 last month. Oligny throws a few big checks like Greg Zanon. You need to keep an eye on him if you are an opposing forward with the puck. He is a stay at home type D-man, not much offense, but he was a +14.

Ellis is 5'10" and 180 pounds, is 25.5 and rarely checked anyone in Milwaukee. Both are steady, not flashy defenders.

Trevor Murphy had 32 points in 59 games. He helped out on the offense and was a +4. He was a good defender. He is 5'11" and 180 pounds, he will be 21 in July.

There isn't a Shea Weber in Milwaukee, but Oligny could play on the third pair next season. Murphy could be a future Pred in 2 years. He is still on the young side.

I can't find any contract info on Oligny. Do you know why?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad