Expansion Draft Ideas

ElfanuReinhard*

Hello Preds fans, I think I've gained a notorious reputation for wanting you guys to trade Ekholm and Jarnkrok to my favourite teams, so let me start by saying I won't bother with any proposals or asking what the price is because I don't want to those annoyed with me to spam me.

Anyways thinking of expansion draft, wouldn't you have to trade one of your top 4 dman, or risk losing them? And if you protect all top 4, then you can only protect 4 forwards. Are you really willing to only protect 4 forwards? Debate.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
This is more an offseason thread or at least we could wait what the last idea will be. Nothing is official yet. But anyway, I'll give it go.

I'd protect our top-4 D but it depends a lot of our next season, how well our other d-men develop. When Rinne is gone, we'll need a strong defense and protecting them would provide that. Also, we don't have anybody in our pipeline with NHL-potential, so no help coming from there unless we steal somebody with NHL-potential in the upcoming draft.

Yes, we would lose a valuable asset in offense but we have a solid core there for the years to come and some nice prospect developing. Losing one of them would hurt but we would recover from that.

I would protect Saros. He is the future and I don't honestly think they'll touch Rinne. They have a lot better options (PIT, ANA goalies)

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Saros won't have to be protected, he's a prospect.

I'd protect the top 4 defensemen, Forsberg, Neal, Johansen and Smith.

I seriously doubt this is the actual rules though.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Saros won't have to be protected, he's a prospect.

I'd protect the top 4 defensemen, Forsberg, Neal, Johansen and Smith.

I seriously doubt this is the actual rules though.

I think you are right on this, I don't see them allowing two different amounts of players depending on choice. I think one has 8 and one has 11.

The other big question is no movement clauses. I get that NTC will likely exempt and those players don't have to be protected, but what about NMC? Rinne has one.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
So we don't have to waist a spot for Rinne? Might as well protect him anyways since we wont need to protect any other goalies

The idea was leave him unprotected because it is highly unlikely that he would be claimed due to his contract. This potentially leaves Saros exposed as he will have played in the AHL for two years. I've seen mixed things about whether playing in the AHL counts as pro experience when it comes to the expansion draft.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
It seem's rather odd to allow 10 non-goalies protected unless you want to protect 4 defenseman, and then you get two less. In that situation, I think it would behoove the Predators to trade Ellis for forwards/picks, and protect 2 more players if it is at all close ....

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
We could always ask Rinne to waive his NMC, send Las Vegas a pick to not take Rinne and call it a day.

jusu11

Jun 27, 2012
Hate these rules. If we can´t protect Saros... well..there goes the future.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
You should be able to protect, say 10 players. However you want to do that is up to you but if you have 5 or 6 defensemen you want to keep, why shouldn't you be able to do that?

I hate the idea that a team spends all the time developing a player and then either has to trade him for likely far less than he's worth or expose him to the draft and lose him for nothing.

Teams should also be able to protect 3 prospects in the AHL if they are not going to be protected.

I know you don't want expansion teams winning like 10 or 15 games but they need to protect teams who actually spent time and money developing their players as well.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
Doubt Saros gets picked without being even a little bit proven. There will be a lot of good goalies available who are more of a sure bet.

Flashback

1998 Expansion draft.
Nashville chose a goalie by the name of Tomas Vokoun.
Drafted in 1994. Stayed in Czech Republic for one season. Played one year in ECHL. Then Two years in AHL. Then selected by Preds in Expansion draft in 1998.
Btw Vokoun was selected in the 9th round 226th overall.

Now on to the 2017??? Expansion draft

Jusse Saros. Drafted in 2013. Stayed in Finland two years. Will have played two years in AHL by then. Btw selected 99th overall in the fourth round.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

PeterLax

Aug 23, 2011
Ottawa, ON
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/expansion-draft-2017-which-players-might-get-shipped-to-vegas/

The 25% exposure rule is going to be what bites the Preds roster. Using thje 1 3 7 rule and exempting the ELC's. If you Hold Rinne, Weber, Josi, Ekholm, Neal, Forsberg, Johanson, Smith, Wilson, Fish(NTC) Then take a pick on one more to protect. Then consider that you can not expose ELCs less than 2 years Someone is going to have to be put up to get to the 25%

I don't think you have to account for Fisher, as he's a UFA anyways.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I don't think you have to account for Fisher, as he's a UFA anyways.

Either way exposing 25% cap is still 17 mil or so that will be required to be exposed so if it is after Fish and Riberio come off thats even more of the guys Poile might want to keep that he would need to put up. Of course other teams will have to do the same but many of them have throw away contracts they can expose. Now that Gaustad and Nystrom are gone The large contracts are the guys we would 100% want I keep I guess but the way the team is comprised a couple of them will have to be exposed to get to that 25% mark.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Flashback

1998 Expansion draft.
Nashville chose a goalie by the name of Tomas Vokoun.
Drafted in 1994. Stayed in Czech Republic for one season. Played one year in ECHL. Then Two years in AHL. Then selected by Preds in Expansion draft in 1998.
Btw Vokoun was selected in the 9th round 226th overall.

Now on to the 2017??? Expansion draft

Jusse Saros. Drafted in 2013. Stayed in Finland two years. Will have played two years in AHL by then. Btw selected 99th overall in the fourth round.

Remember that Montreal paid us off to take him though. ;)

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Im sure there is an expectation by the owners of the new team that for the half a billion dollar expansion fee they will get more than just waiver wire scraps in the expansion draft. that said, contending teams will probably offer draft picks to induce selection of a preferred player.

I think Poile protects our 4 defensemen and the offers a second round pick to get Vegas to take someone like Jarnkrok instead of Wilson

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
Wonder if the same kind of rules on defenseman/Goalies will apply like at the last few expansions?

Such as one of them having to play a certain amount of games over the last two years.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/expansion-draft-2017-which-players-might-get-shipped-to-vegas/

The 25% exposure rule is going to be what bites the Preds roster. Using thje 1 3 7 rule and exempting the ELC's. If you Hold Rinne, Weber, Josi, Ekholm, Neal, Forsberg, Johanson, Smith, Wilson, Fish(NTC) Then take a pick on one more to protect. Then consider that you can not expose ELCs less than 2 years Someone is going to have to be put up to get to the 25%

So, signing one of those "expensive" UFA forwards could make sense afterall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad