Expansion draft and RFA's

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
How exactly will this work?

I did find something about goalies,
One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list

but what about players? Lets say there is 22yr old forward the team wants to keep and his contract is ending at the end of this year, and next year (2017-2018) he is a RFA. Could the team wait and sign him after the expansion draft basically circumventing the rules and getting 1 additional protected player?

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
If a player doesn't receive a QO before the deadline, they become a UFA. RFAs count as roster players regardless of their current contract status, and thus must be either protected or exposed if they meet the requirements.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Considering Vegas has to take at least 20 contracted players and have a minimum salary requirement to meet, unsigned RFAs might be slightly more unattractive to Vegas. Obviously if a team leaves too good of a player unprotected then they'll get taken but RFAs of similar quality to those signed and left unprotected probably are fairly safe.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
If a player doesn't receive a QO before the deadline, they become a UFA. RFAs count as roster players regardless of their current contract status, and thus must be either protected or exposed if they meet the requirements.

But when is the qualifying RFA date? I don't believe that is actually set up before the expansion draft. The expansion draft is June 18-21 and I think the start of FA being typically starting early in July the RFA end date is usually just 1 week before that.

But it is listed also that Vegas has the ability to try to sign any pending UFA/RFA for 48 hours before the expansion draft is officially decided, and if they sign a guy from a team that counts as the picked player.

So Unsigned RFA Forwards/Dmen can be signed but not simply drafted.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

The QO deadline is june 30. The expansion draft will take place first. I would guess LV could select a soon to be RFA and then give them a QO to retain their rights.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
How exactly will this work?

I did find something about goalies,

but what about players? Lets say there is 22yr old forward the team wants to keep and his contract is ending at the end of this year, and next year (2017-2018) he is a RFA. Could the team wait and sign him after the expansion draft basically circumventing the rules and getting 1 additional protected player?

I think the goalie part is because there are so few goalies compared to other positions. There are other requirements for forwards and defensemen which are easier to meet, because 12 or 6 guys play every game. A goalie only gets credit for a game played if they play, not just being in a jersey on the bench.

So no, teams won't get around anything if they have RFA forwards or defensemen.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
People are really misunderstanding the expansion draft requirements.

If a player is not protected or exempt they are eligible to be drafted. Whether they are UFA/RFA in a weeks time or not. Vegas can for sure select a pending RFA. Being a pending RFA doesn't make the player protected.

The requirements just lay out that so many of the players that are left unprotected have certain NHL requirements. But the teams could skip past those meeting the NHL requirements for a career minor leaguer if they so desired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad