Expansion Draft and FA Game

pmorris

May 24, 2008
NYC Area
So, because it's almost official that the Coyotes are going back to Winnipeg, I was thinking, we could have a free-agent game that centered on bringing two other teams back into the league for an expansion draft (Whether it be the Nordiques, Whalers, soon-to-be extinct Coyotes, Kansas City Scouts, maybe even the Hamilton Blackberries or the Las Vegas Gamblers). And just like any other free-agency game, we could have a mock entry draft and free-agency period after so the GMs that take the current 30 teams have more to do than just pick a core of players.

So here are the rules:
In the Expansion Draft (virtually like the 2000 expansion draft), each team can protect either
1.) one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards
2.) OR two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards
3.) To throw a new twist to it: each team can protect up to 6 prospects in addition to either option 1 and 2 (prospects are defined as players who are under the age of 24 and have played in less than 40 NHL games; unsigned draft picks are off limits)
4.) Unrestricted free agents cannot be included in the protected players lists; RFAs are fair game to be protected
5.) And no team can lose more than 3 players from their organization (so, say the Pens GM is Mike Milbury and he leaves Crosby, Malkin, Staal, and Fleury unprotected, once three of the four are picked, the fourth automatically goes back to Pittsburgh)
6.) Each team gets 25 picks. Expansion Draft is NOT in zig-zag order (1 team always picks 1st in each round)
7.) A deadline to set your protected players list will be announced when we have everybody signed up to a team (probably the next day after we’re filled), and the expansion draft will be held immediately after

For the Entry Draft:
1.) Only 2 rounds (to get it over quickly)
2.) Expansion teams get picks #4 and #5 in each round (sorry Devils, Islanders, and Senators)
3.) Expansion team who picks 2nd overall in the Expansion Draft gets the #4 pick in each round
4.) The Entry Draft will happen shortly after the Expansion Draft

For the Free Agency Period
1.) GMs can talk to their team’s impeding UFAs and RFAs whenever, and can resign them whenever
2.) A TBD time for other teams to start contacting free agents will be set when we have everybody
3.) And another TBD time for when teams can announce signings (probably 2-3 hours after teams are allowed to start contacting FAs)
4.) Salary Cap will be $62 million. No team can go over $68 million and everyone must be under $62 million by end of the game.

I’m going to take first dibs and call bringing back the Hartford Whalers into the league. Whoever gets the next team can choose if you want to pick first in the Expansion Draft or the 4th pick in the Entry Draft. If you want to be a co-commissioner who can help in sorting through trade proposals, protection lists, and signings, PM me ASAP. If you’re interested in being either a GM or an agent post in the thread. If you PM me I might not get it before somebody else calls that team in the thread. We’ll break up the agents much like the last game, where one agent covers a position for an entire conference (except goalies b/c there isn’t that many of them).

So without further ado...

GMs:
Hartford Whalers (Expansion Team #1)- pmorris
Minnesota North Stars (Expansion Team #2)- johnnydollaz89
ANA-
ATL-
BOS-
BUF-
CAL-
CAR-
CHI-
COL-
CBJ-
DAL-
DET-
EDM-
FLA-
LAK-
MIN-
MON-
NAS-
NJD-
NYI- CooperDean
NYR- jamesins54
OTT- Derian Hatcher
PHI- sakupi
PHO/WIN-
PIT- CookeKilledJFK
SJS-
STL-
TBL-
TOR- Makaveli
VAN-
WAS-

Player Agents:
Forwards: (East) | (West)
Defensemen: (East) | (West)
Goalies:

One more thing to alleviate some confusion: The players agents will be based on the roster that they ended the season on. So if Brad Richards is traded to an Eastern Conference team in this game before the start of free agency, he will still be represented by the player-agent for forwards out of the Western Conference.

Last edited:

pmorris

May 24, 2008
NYC Area
And one more thing; don't feel pressured to pick between this game and the current game going on. This one will start to pick up when FA game 2 is virtually over.

johnnydollaz89*

Ill be an expansion team and bring the Minnesota North Stars back

pmorris

May 24, 2008
NYC Area
Uh I think the boards have been having some problems today, cause I was trying to check this all day. Anyhow, still plenty of spots open

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad