Expansion and Protected Players

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
We all know that an expansion is coming in the NHL.
With the new divisions, it is now obvious we will eventually have 2 new teams.

The last time the NHL had an expansion, they added 2 teams in 2 years.
They will probably use the same process this time around.

In 1998, it was NASHVILLE
In 1999, it was ATLANTA

And as reported by different medias, it seems like we would add a new team
sooner rather than later (to balance the new division)...meaning next summer.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/3...l-expansion-team-in-seattle-by-2014-15-report

The rules was the following:

Each franchise was allowed to protect either one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards or two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards.

Let say the NHL repeat the exact same process next summer.....

Which Habs players would you protect if it would go down the same way as it did in 98-99?
And do you think, in a cap world, the same process will apply?

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
We all know that an expansion is coming in the NHL.
With the new divisions, it is now obvious we will eventually have 2 new teams.

The last time the NHL had an expansion, they added 2 teams in 2 years.
They will probably use the same process this time around.

In 1998, it was NASHVILLE
In 1999, it was ATLANTA

And as reported by different medias, it seems like we would add a new team
sooner rather than later (to balance the new division)...meaning next summer.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/3...l-expansion-team-in-seattle-by-2014-15-report

The rules was the following:

Each franchise was allowed to protect either one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards or two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards.

Let say the NHL repeat the exact same process next summer.....

Which Habs players would you protect if it would go down the same way as it did in 98-99?
And do you think, in a cap world, the same process will apply?

Assuming that you don't have to protect prospects, correct? 1 goalie 5 d 9 forward just roster players?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Assuming that you don't have to protect prospects, correct? 1 goalie 5 d 9 forward just roster players?

Last time, if i remember correctly, it was only roster players who played at least 40 regular games the previous year.

Let say, Tinordi play at least 40 games this year, he would need protection.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Carey Price

PK Subban
Jared Tinordi
Alexei Emelin
Josh Gorges
Andrei Markov

Max Pacioretty
Alex Galchenyuk
Brendan Gallagher
Tomas Plekanec
Lars Eller
Brandon Prust
Ryan White
Rene Bourque
George Parros

So I say bye bye to :

Raphael Diaz, Brian Gionta, David Desharnais, Daniel Briere, Francis Bouillon, Doug Murray, Davis Drewiske & Travis Moen

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Carey Price

PK Subban
Jared Tinordi
Alexei Emelin
Josh Gorges
Andrei Markov

Max Pacioretty
Alex Galchenyuk
Brendan Gallagher
Tomas Plekanec
Lars Eller
Brandon Prust
Ryan White
Rene Bourque
George Parros

So I say bye bye to :

Raphael Diaz, Brian Gionta, David Desharnais, Daniel Briere, Francis Bouillon, Doug Murray, Davis Drewiske & Travis Moen

I really don't have a clue if players like Brière with an NMC would be available though.......his contract might protect him anyway!!

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Terrifying notion at first but might be a good way to streamline a team's core.

Of course there would be chemistry issues abound after the purge.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Carey Price

PK Subban
Jared Tinordi
Alexei Emelin
Josh Gorges
Andrei Markov

Max Pacioretty
Alex Galchenyuk
Brendan Gallagher
Tomas Plekanec
Lars Eller
Brandon Prust
Ryan White
Rene Bourque
George Parros

So I say bye bye to :

You'd really protect an aging goon over Desharnais and Diaz?

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
There will be some very serious provisions that the Habs must demand for any expansion plans to be accepted IMO. They can't expand while the Habs Dynasty is still in progress (Meaning until they win their 5th SC.) Then and only then can the expansion take place unless of course the Habs win the lottery for McDavid, after all the help the Habs gave up to the Exp. teams over the last 50 yrs. :sarcasm:

Realistically the Habs should receive Ekblad and McDavid, that way they can show the new teams how great their franchises can be after a few losing seasons.:laugh:

The NHL Board of Governors should elect S Bah as their new boss and when I run the Show the Habs will win SC's just like Boston does when Jacobs is the head honcho. What goes around comes around I always say, so Boston can look out when I'm in charge. No longer will Chiarelli & Burke be allowed to cheat Canadian teams, while giving Boston draft choices that insure their future SC's.

What are the odds that Burke ends up in Boston running the Bruins I wonder 1-1 probably.:sarcasm:

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Last time, if i remember correctly, it was only roster players who played at least 40 regular games the previous year.

Let say, Tinordi play at least 40 games this year, he would need protection.

Interesting.
That might explain why MB signed vets on short term contracts. Having the kids play in the AHL this year removed their names from that to-be-protected list. Smart forward thinking if that's the case.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
For THIS year, I'd go with:

Carey Price

PK Subban
Jared Tinordi/Murray if Tinordi didn't need protecting
Alexei Emelin
Josh Gorges
Andrei Markov

Max Pacioretty
Alex Galchenyuk
Brendan Gallagher
Tomas Plekanec
Lars Eller
Brandon Prust
Daniel Briere
Rene Bourque
Brian Gionta

I'd leave the following players unprotected:

Raphael Diaz, David Desharnais, Francis Bouillon, Doug Murray, White, Parros, Davis Drewiske & Travis Moen

Basically protect the top 9 and youth and leave the bottom pairing players unprotected. It's a lot harder to reaquire skill than size without the top 6 skill.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I'd protect

Price

Subban
Diaz
Markov
Emelin
Tinordi

Pacioretty
Eller
Plekanec
Prust
Gallagher
Galchenyuk
Bourque
Desharnais
Gionta

As much as I don't like Desharnais, I'd rather have him over Briere.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Price

Subban
Gorges
Emelin
Diaz
Markov/Tinordi

Pacioretty
Galchenyuk
Gallagher
Eller
Plekanec
Bourque
Desharnais
Prust
Briere

It's common sense to keep the most valuable players. Sign the bottom pairing/bottom-6 forwards in Free Agency or trade for them with the more valuable players. Anyone who's including Desharnais or Diaz in their non-exempt list seriously needs to give their head a shake.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
I dont agree. I keep players I think will help us long term.

Diaz will ask for a pay raise, and I dont like him. DD is our 3rd center, next year. And hes paid 3M$. I let them go. And sign UFAs or let Hudon, Collberg, Beaulieu, etc get a chance.

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
Price

Emelin
Subban
Markov
Tinordi (assuming he plays with habs, if not, Gorges)

Plekanec
Pacioretty
Galchenyuk
Eller
Gallagher
Bourque
Prust

2 spots left? dunno, guess Gio, everyone else me nah care.

Would be cool to see new expansions teams. And as much as it will suck for those teams in first few years, the team will be built from scratch almost, so that should gather and create a solid and very loyal fanbase.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
Price

Subban
Markov
Gorges
Emelin
Tinordi

Plekanec
Pacioretty
Gallagher
Galchenyuk
Eller
Prust
White
Gionta
Bourque

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
At the moment?

Price

Subban
Markov
Diaz
Emelin
Gorges

Plekanec
Pacioretty
Gallagher
Galchenyuk
Eller
Bourque
Prust
Desharnais
White/Leblanc (really hesitating here)

Things I take for granted :

- Tinordi and Beaulieu do not have to be protected.
- White has to be protected (probably the case), as does Leblanc (here I'm not sure -- would have to be protected by virtue of playing lots of games LAST season).
- A team cannot lose more than two players, and may protect additionnal players after one has been picked. I'm not sure about this one though, but I know it has been a frequent clause.
- Brière doesn't need protection due to his NMC.

After the process, I certainly look at dealing Diaz and/or Desharnais to a team that might have lost a player or to the expansion team.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Unless the expansion teams will be exempt from the cap floor then they will have to use a different set of rules. I seem to remember last time there were rules about having to leave 1-2 veterans unprotected. They might do something similar with cap hits where you have to make at least one player with a 3m+ caphit available.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Interesting.
That might explain why MB signed vets on short term contracts. Having the kids play in the AHL this year removed their names from that to-be-protected list. Smart forward thinking if that's the case.

Exactly my thoughts.....

It might not be the best year to let top prospects enter the NHL.
Unless there's some places left to protect them.

For THIS year, I'd go with:

Carey Price

PK Subban
Jared Tinordi/Murray if Tinordi didn't need protecting
Alexei Emelin
Josh Gorges
Andrei Markov

Max Pacioretty
Alex Galchenyuk
Brendan Gallagher
Tomas Plekanec
Lars Eller
Brandon Prust
Daniel Briere
Rene Bourque
Brian Gionta

I'd leave the following players unprotected:

Raphael Diaz, David Desharnais, Francis Bouillon, Doug Murray, White, Parros, Davis Drewiske & Travis Moen

Basically protect the top 9 and youth and leave the bottom pairing players unprotected. It's a lot harder to reaquire skill than size without the top 6 skill.

But knowing that some of them might go for free....
Trying to get some return for those players might be a better option

I'd protect

Price

Subban
Diaz
Markov
Emelin
Tinordi

Pacioretty
Eller
Plekanec
Prust
Gallagher
Galchenyuk
Bourque
Desharnais
Gionta

As much as I don't like Desharnais, I'd rather have him over Briere.

Briere, one more year
Desharnais, 3 more year

DD would need to have a really great season for me to take him over Briere.
Briere's contract is less dangerous long-term.

Unless the expansion teams will be exempt from the cap floor then they will have to use a different set of rules. I seem to remember last time there were rules about having to leave 1-2 veterans unprotected. They might do something similar with cap hits where you have to make at least one player with a 3m+ caphit available.

Not a bad idea....

UFA might always seems more tempting for these new teams....

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
Still hate NSH for that expansion draft.

He wasn't yet with the team so there are probably rules surrounding prospects and how much time they've been in minors.

Price

Subban
Emelin
Tinordi
Beaulieu
Thrower (Gorges)

Galchenyuk
Gallagher
Eller
Patches
Collberg (Briere)
Pleks
Prust

I believe there are rules about how many players we can lose and I've left some vets unprotected because they aren't likely to be picked and can be replaced with free agency. Collberg and Thrower are going to be valuable players here and based on Vokuon I suspect they would be vulnerable. If they weren't in parenthesis are the players I'd protect. Markov would be a gamble by any expansion team... no point protecting him.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Interesting.

You actually think MB signed veterans because he thinks an expansion will happen within the next two years and will let his young players stay in the AHL instead of coming here? That's absolutely ridiculous.

I know you're a big fan of MB, but no need to exaggerate here..

That wouldn't even be a good idea.

MB signed vets to short term deal because they're old and/or on a decline. As simple as that. No need to look further.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad