Speculation: Expansion and Our Roster

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
15 Years ago it was 1 Goalie, 5 Defence, 9 Forward or 2 Goalie, 3 Defence and 7 Forward. Some of the other previous rules were

•If protecting one goalie, there is no experience requirement for the goalie left unprotected. If protecting two goalies, they must leave one goalie unprotected who played in at least 10 games the prior season, or 25 combined games over the past two seasons

•Teams must leave one defenseman and two forwards unprotected who played 40 NHL games the prior season, or 70 combined games over the prior two seasons

•Players on entry-level contracts are automatically exempt, and every existing team will have exactly two players selected

Regardless of how it plays out as to numbers, it means some of out roster gets exposed.

Do we need to keep guys like Smith, Chiasson, Michalek, etc past the trade deadline so we can use then as "exposed" players on the roster? I'd assume we'd do 9F, 5D, 1G

Turris, Zibanejad, Stone, Hoffman, Ryan, MacArthur, Pageau, Prince, Michalek??

Karlsson, Methot, Wiercioch, Cowen, Borowiecki

Anderson

Exempt: Lazar, Ceci, Paul, Puempel, O'Connor & other prospects

Unprotected: Chiasson (RFA), Neil (UFA), Smith, Greening, Phillips (UFA), Wideman, Hammond.
Can guys with NMCs be drafted elsewhere? or do they have to be on a protected list? Are UFAs eligible for the list? I guess not.

If so, then Bullet 2 above that is going to force the issue by ensuring that a couple of our developed players will need to be exposed. Michalek can come off the protected list I guess, and we'd have choices to make on D.

Does this affect the possible trade scenarios this coming year. Do we need a couple of these "bad" contracts to cover our roster against losing guys we really want as part of the future?

Last edited:

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Depends on when expansion happens assuming 2017/2018:

O'Connor (he will be RFA)

Karlsson
Methot
Ceci
Boro
Wiercioch

Turris
Ryan
Stone
Zibanejad
Hoffman
MacArthur
Pageau
Lazar
Prince or Puempel

No idea who we would leave unprotected, as Michalek, Phillips, Greening, Neil, Smith and Cowen would all be UFA.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The timing on the Lehner trade could end up being really good if there is an expansion draft next off season.

Wiercioch or Chiasson are probably the most appealing players to an expansion team. Even if he breaks out, Wideman will not get taken as he will be a UFA.

I am guessing guys like Ceci and Lazar won't be exempt. I don't know the exact rules on prospects, but I think under a certain age, players who have played less than. 49 games are exempt. I am guessing prospects who are not waived exempt (ie.Prince) would be able to be selected even if they haven't played 49 games.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Chiasson would be a good scoring option for an expansion team. Had he not been traded I'm willing to bet Lehner might have been an add for an expansion team as well.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The whole NTC/NMC is going to throw a massive wrench into the whole expansion draft process.

I'm not sure if the NHL and NHLPA even negotiated the process involving those clauses in the last CBA.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
It is way too early to worry about it.

Always wondered why a team would consider protecting 2 goalies in all the expansion drafts though. You would need really crappy D and Forwards and two crazy great goalies.

I am pretty sure a few times teams protected 2 goalies. I think the Rangers did some kinda trade when they had Beezer and Richter? Something happened there. I forget and am too lazy to research it.

A new expansion draft will be all about the Cap. And very different then ever before. Players eligible will all be about getting rid of Cap and the expansion teams will be trying hard to get close to the floor before UFA market opens.

It is way too early to anticipate anything. It will be the most interesting thing to happen in player movement... Maybe ever. Make July 1st or trade deadline seem uneventful. Players like Ryan could be available. Really good players, stars, with long high valued contracts that teams could want gone due to Cap reasons. Also teams might leave a Ryan or Phaneuf type a available believing they won't get picked probably. Expansion teams will want to pick up some guys like that but there might be so many available.

Almost all teams will make a flurry of trades before a draft if they have extra slots they don't need to protect guys, or too many guys to protect. Expansion teams will employ experts... Not the kind of amateur hour crap teams like Ottawa had in their hockey ops when they were at the expansion draft. I bet 120-150 players change teams in some way from the trade deadline until July 1st that year. Anticipating or rather predicting, moving parts now is impossible. It will be almost impossible even in March, April and May of the expansion draft season. Trade deadline will be so much more intense that season as teams both go for it... And load up at the same time... And not just in anticipation of that years entry draft and playoffs.

I can't wait.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You're right. The Cap wasn't around for the last expansion, either.

I have no idea how the heck the league is going to handle this whole process.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
You're right. The Cap wasn't around for the last expansion, either.

I have no idea how the heck the league is going to handle this whole process.

I think they will need clear rules in place and the expansion process worked out a full 12 months in advance for all teams to have that long to work out what they will do. From that point... Roster management will start for all 30 teams.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think they will need clear rules in place and the expansion process worked out a full 12 months in advance for all teams to have that long to work out what they will do. From that point... Roster management will start for all 30 teams.

Agreed.

They have to sort out what to do with both NTC/NMCs, cap space.....and I'll bet the previous formula of 1G, 5D & 9F and the games played for exemption stats will be changed, too.

I have a feeling we will have a system where it won't be choosing between the 1G or 2G rules from before, but more about the kids. It could be something completely different, like 1G, 3D, 5F....but you get to protect all your kids on entry level deals - OR - 1G, 5D, 9F, but your entry level kids don't have an exemption if they had played at least XX amount of games over the last two years. Last time, it was about balancing depth in G & D, this time it could be balancing vets vs kids.

Going to be a crazy couple of years.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I would not protect:

Forwards: Greening, Pageau, Michalek, Neil

Defence: Phillips, Wideman

Goalie: Hammond

I think Chiasson still has value at his age in a trade.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I would not protect:

Most will be gone or retired or UFA by the time expansion comes save Hammond and Pageau. And in two years Pageau and Hammond will be proven established NHLers... Or not.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Most will be gone or retired or UFA by the time expansion comes save Hammond and Pageau. And in two years Pageau and Hammond will be proven established NHLers... Or not.

So much can change in 1-2 years that it is impossible to predict.

Imagine telling someone at the end of the 2013 season that Alfredsson left, Conacher's and Greening were busts, Lehner was traded, Hammond became a local legend, Mark Stone is a first liner, Mike Hoffman is a 27 goal scorer, Spezza was traded for pieces, the team acquired Bobby Ryan, and Ceci has played a year and a half in the NHL.

On yeah, biggest of all.....Condra is gone....tell them that and they'll lose their ****.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

That's true enough & in 2 or 3 yrs I expect that Lazar, Paul, Dzingel & maybe White will be challenging Pageau for a centre job in Ottawa. It will also be interesting to see if Hammond will still be around at that point as well, if he has made it or not. It will be interesting for sure who could be made available.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
O'Connor

Available for freesies
Anderson, Hammond, Hogberg? Dreidger?

Karlsson
Ceci
Methot
Wiercioch
Wideman/Cowen

Available for freesies
Wideman/Cowen, Boro

Turris
Zibanejad
Stone
Hoffman
Ryan
MacArthur/Prine
Puempel
Pageau
Lazar

Available for freesies
Smith, Michalek, Prince/MacArthur, Chiasson, Greening

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Depends on when expansion happens assuming 2017/2018:

O'Connor (he will be RFA)

Karlsson
Methot
Ceci
Boro
Wiercioch

Turris
Ryan
Stone
Zibanejad
Hoffman
MacArthur
Pageau
Lazar
Prince or Puempel

No idea who we would leave unprotected, as Michalek, Phillips, Greening, Neil, Smith and Cowen would all be UFA.

Paul? --- will likely be in the lineup then too. I'd protect him.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
That's true enough & in 2 or 3 yrs I expect that Lazar, Paul, Dzingel & maybe White will be challenging Pageau for a centre job in Ottawa. It will also be interesting to see if Hammond will still be around at that point as well, if he has made it or not. It will be interesting for sure who could be made available.

Pageau could be a 20 goal 50 point 2 way centre by then (my thoughts are a coloured visor so all jerseys look Red and White to him)and Hammond the next flash in the pan older goalie that becomes Tim Thomas good. No way to tell now.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I would not protect:

I would definitely protect Pageau and i bet the Sens management will too.

It would be completely and utterly asinine to let a good young player go away for absolutely nothing.

It is funny that Chiasson apparently still has value, but Pageau has diddly squat to the point where we just basically give him away to a expansion team. Give me a ****ing break. :facepalm:

Last edited:

JessicaN

Sep 11, 2012
I would definitely protect Pageau and i bet the Sens management will too.

It would be completely and utterly asinine to let a good young player go away for absolutely nothing.

It is funny that Chiasson apparently still has value, but Pageau has diddly squat to the point where we just basically give him away to a expansion team. Give me a ****ing break. :facepalm:

That's just like... your opinion, man.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
in this case, it's just one poster, and he's made the opinion known many times

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad