Exisiting Arena Banners Changed

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
GR reported that the 1996 Eastern Conference Champions and Bill Torrey banners that hang above the rafters in the arena have been changed to brand new red ones. Also, the Celine Dion concert to open the arena back in 1998 was removed.

I guess we know what the Southeast Division one will look like now on Saturday night.

Some fans on Twitter seem pretty disgusted about removing the 1996 Eastern Conference Champions one.

BAltUEHCQAABpSY.jpg:large

Neek

Mar 12, 2009
So glad the Celine Dion Banner is gone. I think the Bill Torrey banner should go with it. AND I'm a huge fan of Bill Torrey growing up an Islander fan in the heyday and appreciating the building of the franchise down here.

But it reeks of desperation to throw banners up in a building to commemorate things like that. You win a division, conference or championship...banner goes up. You retire a player's number, fine. Anything else is just trying to fill the rafters up with something to try and artificially create heritage.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
that celine dion banner has been my theory for years as to why we havent won a championship yet XD YES! we can win now! haha

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Should have left the original 1996 banner.

Also, what happened to the GOAT expansion team banner?

floridada

Jan 31, 2009
Florida
Am I seriously the only person that has never noticed the Celine Dion banner? I feel like a total idiot now.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Might be because I've never been to the arena to see the old one live (hence no love lost at seeing the old one gone), but I think the new one looks better.

I think the Bill Torrey banner should go with it. AND I'm a huge fan of Bill Torrey growing up an Islander fan in the heyday and appreciating the building of the franchise down here.
Torrey deserves to be honored, but a number to go with it and hang it from the rafters? That's a bit too far IMO. Den of honor is the right place to honor those who aren't worthy of having their jersey retired, and this franchise hasn't encountered yet a player worth that honor.

Also, the Celine Dion concert to open the arena back in 1998 was removed.

So glad the Celine Dion Banner is gone.

that celine dion banner has been my theory for years as to why we havent won a championship yet XD YES! we can win now! haha

Am I seriously the only person that has never noticed the Celine Dion banner? I feel like a total idiot now.

Same. I honestly don't recall one.

Don't feel bad. It wasn't very noticeable. Small and white. Kind of tucked in the corner next to the other banners.
At first I thought this was some kind of a inside joke.. :laugh:

There actually was a real one? Didn't notice it at all. :huh:

Neek

Mar 12, 2009
Torrey deserves to be honored, but a number to go with it and hang it from the rafters? That's a bit too far IMO. Den of honor is the right place to honor those who aren't worthy of having their jersey retired, and this franchise hasn't encountered yet a player worth that honor.

Agreed. A plaque in the Den of Honor sounds perfect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad