Post-Game Talk: [EXHIBITION] Game 4: Goalie Controversy renewed 3-0 Nucks win! Who gets the shutout?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Weber did not play much on the PP, which doesn't bode well for him.
If he isn't on the PP, he isn't really contributing.
Shades of Tortorella...
Desjardins seemed much more comfortable putting Tanev as RS dman on the PP...more bad news for Weber.

arsmaster*

Any read on the defense last night needs a massive grain of salt. That Calgary lineup would have lost to the Utica comets who started last season 1-10 or whatever it was.

arsmaster*

Center. It's where he's played the bulk of his Pro career, it's where he's played here, it's where his skillset seems best suited.

Though a lot of Canucks fans seem intent on shifting him to the Wing for some reason, probably because it theoretically makes some projected lineups work better position-wise.

He isn't being asked to do any heavy lifting at C though. You think they'd test him there if they though he was going to be there.

I think he'd be a great compliment to either bonino or Horvat on RW.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
Any read on the defense last night needs a massive grain of salt. That Calgary lineup would have lost to the Utica comets who started last season 1-10 or whatever it was.

I remember even last year's wobbly train wreck of a team looked like all stars against Calgary.

I'm happy the team won but wow. That was a bad lineup the Flames iced.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
He isn't being asked to do any heavy lifting at C though. You think they'd test him there if they though he was going to be there.

He doesn't have to. Bonino and Richardson/Horvat will handle the heavy defensive minutes, the twins will draw tough matchups and Vey will be able to play against the rest. At least that's what I'm hoping will happen.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Center. It's where he's played the bulk of his Pro career, it's where he's played here, it's where his skillset seems best suited.

Though a lot of Canucks fans seem intent on shifting him to the Wing for some reason, probably because it theoretically makes some projected lineups work better position-wise.

Vey's neutral zone play simply isn't good enough to be an NHL center, especially one on a team that lacks defensive stalwarts and size up the middle.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I'd like to see a 2nd line of Shinkaruk-Bonino-Vey at some point. Many will deem them as "too small", even though Bonino is 6'1 and Vey is 6'0. I personally think they could be effective as both Shinkaruk and Vey are fast and elusive. It could be interesting to watch.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Playing devils advocate a bit.
Horvat has one point I believe in pre season plus rookies camp.
I'm not so sure that another year of junior would hurt him.
I'm about fifty fifty right now.
I'd like to see him with some good players the last couple of games and see if he can do something offensively. I know I'm probably in the minority on this.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Vey's neutral zone play simply isn't good enough to be an NHL center, especially one on a team that lacks defensive stalwarts and size up the middle.

How so? The word was that Vey could have trouble on the wall and down low. That makes sense. His skill set should make him effective through the middle of the ice... which is why I think Benning likes him there.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
With Vey Bonino and Vrbata I could see our offence being better this year.
Defensively we will probably be a little weaker at forward though.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
How so? The word was that he Vey could have trouble on the wall and down low. That makes sense. His skill set should make him effective through the middle of the ice... which is why I think Benning likes him there.

From what I've seen its his weak spot. I think his speed gets him out of a lot of trouble along the wall. However in the neutral zone I've noticed him cough up the puck or fly by assignments. Don't take my word as a huge criticism, I do think Vey can play some Center, its just tough to see it on a team without any semblance of a top 9 two way Center. When Richardson went down last night my initial reaction was dismay. Without Richardson, this team is terribly imbalanced, to the point that it hampers the teams ability to win games imo.

I think in the best scenario we see Vey and Bonino build chemistry and form 2/3rds of a 2nd line.

I like Vey a lot, I'm just not sure his best fit on this team is at Center.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013

My read on the D was that Sbisa is mediocre and Weber is bad.

Thankfully I don't base my opinions of these players on one game... :/

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Weber did not play much on the PP, which doesn't bode well for him.
If he isn't on the PP, he isn't really contributing.
Shades of Tortorella...
Desjardins seemed much more comfortable putting Tanev as RS dman on the PP...more bad news for Weber.

I think they may be going with the 4 forward, 1 defense set up, at least to start.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I think they may be going with the 4 forward, 1 defense set up, at least to start.

Definitely got that impression on the first unit with Vrbata on the left point and Vey at wing. Think the second unit is up for grabs. Did anyone notice another forward on the point on PP2?

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary

So you're no longer miffed he's being unfairly 'gifted a roster spot'?

Vey is exactly what this team needed coming into this season and I'm not surprised he's impressed thus far. Was fully expecting his skillevel to stand out and it sure has to this point. Offensively, he reminds me of Justin Williams.

For all the talk about 'meat and potatoes', Benning sure has added a nice amount of skill to the top 9. Possibly even enough to make this team watchable again.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Definitely got that impression on the first unit with Vrbata on the left point and Vey at wing. Think the second unit is up for grabs. Did anyone notice another forward on the point on PP2?

I was thinking we would see a 4 forward set coming into the season with Bonino on the top unit. But Bonino likes to play in the same spot as Henrik, which probably makes Vey a better candidate to play on that 1st unit. Vey can play the point, but he also looks like he could be a real threat in the slot taking passes from Henrik - which could open up a lot of time and space for Vrbata on the far side faceoff circle.

With the additions Benning has made, it appears the Canucks will have a fighting chance to ice a good PP. Something that will be an absolute must if they want to remain in the playoff hunt this season. Much different look up front with the additions of 3 forwards with excellent hands. Looking forward to see the full compliment up front.

arsmaster*

So you're no longer miffed he's being unfairly 'gifted a roster spot'?

Vey is exactly what this team needed coming into this season and I'm not surprised he's impressed thus far. Was fully expecting his skillevel to stand out and it sure has to this point. Offensively, he reminds me of Justin Williams.

For all the talk about 'meat and potatoes', Benning sure has added a nice amount of skill to the top 9. Possibly even enough to make this team watchable again.

Still miffed if their plan is to play him in defensive situations.

He hasn't been tested in the 3rd line role as of yet, which was the role we were lead to believe he'd be gifted.

Skill stands out. Don't think his play as a C does.

I'd rather him play 2nd line RW or even RW with Horvat.

So far vey has been given more talent to work with. It looks like they're grooming him for an offensive role which to me isn't at 3C.

He's on the team now. I'm supporting him. Doesn't mean I like how he was acquired or who was moved to get him. I'm also not looking to rehash that. I got kicked out of the training camp thread for explaining my reasons in more than one post.

arsmaster*

He doesn't have to. Bonino and Richardson/Horvat will handle the heavy defensive minutes, the twins will draw tough matchups and Vey will be able to play against the rest. At least that's what I'm hoping will happen.

Bonino doesn't look capable of it either. I want to see vey and bonino together.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Bonino doesn't look capable of it either. I want to see vey and bonino together.

Yes, I would like to see this also. My preferred lines:

D Sedin H Sedin Vrbata
Shinkaruk Bonino Vey
Higgins Horvat Burrows
Dorsett Richardson* Hansen
*Mathias inserted if Richardson can't go

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
With Vey Bonino and Vrbata I could see our offence being better this year.
Defensively we will probably be a little weaker at forward though.

I think our defense will hinge on how Horvat develops. Vrbata can easily replace Kesler's offense, but he's nowhere near as good defensively. If Horvat can fill that void as the season wears on. We could be a stronger team for it.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Yes, I would like to see this also. My preferred lines:

D Sedin H Sedin Vrbata
Shinkaruk Bonino Vey
Higgins Horvat Burrows
Dorsett Richardson* Hansen
*Mathias inserted if Richardson can't go

Believe me, I've wanted that third line too. But Kassian kept ruining it. Also get Dorsett off the team. He's worse than Matthias or Richardson. If Shinkaruk makes it...

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Higgins - Bonino - Kassian
Shinkaruk - Vey - Burrows
Richardson - Horvat - Hansen
Matthias/Dorsett

That's what you'll likely see, imo. Personally, I don't see Shinkaruk making the team until someone is traded.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Ya Jeffery is still up, Sestito better wake up because if Jeffery sticks its on the 4th line. I noticed him as well...

Played a solid checking game.

I noticed Valk was released, I can't beleive they didn't even give him a game or sign him for Utica...???

He's 5'8".

Everyone needs to get over any sort of success in the Young Stars tourney. It's basically stick n puck with a heap of non-NHLers. Not a good indicator.

Valk got a try-out with Utica. That's a huge success for him. He's not very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad