GDT: Exhibition • North America vs. Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
If team NA was never formed we all wouldn't have got to see that team last night and would all be worse off because of it.

Nationalism be damned, that was fun to watch.

Because they beat up a terrible opponent pretty badly ? Team U-23 NA is an ok idea sure but this Team Europe is not. 30+ year old veteran NHL players don't need showcasing.

Should've made it Team U-23 Europe ( all of Europe ) with maybe some exeptions for older outstanding European players that want to participate .

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
I was dissappointed when I heard that MC David would captain this team over "veterans" like Gaudreau, Ekblad and especially MacKinnon who could be this team's #1C

Ekblad, despite his young years, seems very mature. Also he is , sans doubt, their best Dman. Not meaning to knock the kid, but MacK seems kinda quiet and not that well spoken. Guys that seem relaxed in front of the camera are often natural leaders in the dressing room too. McD, despite his young years, let's face it, is the marquis guy on this team. They need him to shine on the ice, as well, and he does. I don't know if they put it to a vote or not, but McD with the C, and Ekblad with an A, makes sense to me...

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Because they beat up a terrible opponent pretty badly ? Team U-23 NA is an ok idea sure but this Team Europe is not. 30+ year old veteran NHL players don't need showcasing.

Should've made it Team U-23 Europe ( all of Europe ) with maybe some exeptions for older outstanding European players that want to participate .

I can agree with that. I don't like team Euro, but htats one of 8 teams. I LOVE team NA

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
If team NA was never formed we all wouldn't have got to see that team last night and would all be worse off because of it.

Nationalism be damned, that was fun to watch.

I turned off the tv after two periods of play. At that point the game was already over and the Euro team had showed no emotion at all. Never in my life before, have I watched a game that didn't have at least an ounce of a scrum between whistles. No mouth-yapping or facewashing whatsoever.

This is frustrating. The same people who think it's boring to see Canada or the USA crush Switzerland and Slovakia (which in reality often even isn't the case), somehow think it's exciting to see the U23 team crush the Euro team. Talk about double standards.

Sure, the U23 team played with passion and will likely continue to do so. So what, a Canadian B team and C team and D team would also likely play with passion in an event like this. But that doesn't make it right. How is it fair that north americans are given a 2nd "national team" to root for, while the rest of us have one. Or for many in Europe right now, none.

I guess you can say it's NHL's tournaments and they are entitled to do whatever they want. Sure, but you could use that argument about anything the NHL does then. This whole concept makes me think of 'sarcastaball'. Someone made a joke when they were pitching ideas, Bettman took it seriously and here we are.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Gaudreau and McDavid are by far the best players on NA, after the couple of shifts they had together, it should be obvious now they need to be paired up.

Drouin likes to hold it too long to play with McDavid, and Eichel doesn't read the play fast enough to keep up with Johnny.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
*looks at avatar*
*looks at post*

Nope, no bias there.

Bias? No I skate with Paul Byron he's a buddy and loved when he destroyed Phaneuf.

You as a group bring it on to yourselves there is always an agenda or an angle. Just appreciating players that play this game for your enjoyment rather than try and bring them down because they beat your favorite player in a poll.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Lol Bert, the way the leafs and leafs fans ruffle your feathers always makes me laugh.

-

McDavid is just something else, can watch him play any time.

I thought seth Jones had a really strong under the radar game, the defence itself is very versatile. Great size, speed and skill.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Bias? No I skate with Paul Byron he's a buddy and loved when he destroyed Phaneuf.

You as a group bring it on to yourselves there is always an agenda or an angle. Just appreciating players that play this game for your enjoyment rather than try and bring them down because they beat your favorite player in a poll.

If you want people to take you serious, you shouldn't paint an entire fanbase with a single brush bud. Drouin gets very little discussion in our forum, we aren't having town meetings to all decide who to bash together. Lots of different people with different opinions. Personally I think Drouin looked great last night.

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
wait you think we are judging how they played last night based on a poll result

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
For the first game played in September, wow.

That pace from Team NA was incredible. Much faster than the other games, Team Europe just couldn't keep up. It wasn't lack of intensity, it was them chasing the game the entire time.

Kopitar looked fantastic for Team Europe though.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

:laugh: You kids get so wound up.

If you want people to take you serious, you shouldn't paint an entire fanbase with a single brush bud. Drouin gets very little discussion in our forum, we aren't having town meetings to all decide who to bash together. Lots of different people with different opinions. Personally I think Drouin looked great last night.

:laugh: you know that thought is out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad