Excuses over. Barry Trotz available (no longer available)

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
From what I’ve read from Caps fans, Trotz has a lot of similar deficiencies in his roster management as Q has. If we’re getting a new face behind the bench we need to go new wave and not another old 70s player. We should be looking for the next Mike Sullivan (Coilton?) and not the next Q.

I’m curious as to why the OP thinks Trotz is that much better of a coach than Q though. I’m not a big Q guy at this point but I agree with most posters in this thread in the fact that going from Q to Trotz is a lateral move at best.

Impossible for another NHL coach to be that dense.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Exhibit A: Dan Bylsma.

Exhibit B: Michel Therrien

But there are not many that are dense like that.

Why even select those considered awful when it's the go to of complaints of every coach. Even those praised as the greats make awful roster management or lineup choices and dont win with stacked teams. It's there with Babs, Julien, Lavs, Bb, every coach in the league and not. Sheldon Keefe too when you ask those following the Marlies. People cry for JC but he had typical coach moves people act like Q is unique and dumb doing. Not playing skilled guys more, playing robin norrell at forward, etc.

You should try to name the coaches one thinks are absent of it because in reality that list will be slim to none.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I would think the Caps would be throwing money at Trotz to keep him since they won their first cup ever. To let him leave now doesn't make any sense to me at this point unless they will be losing a lot of players and he knows it.

I mean, he resigned. It may not have been about the money.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Why even select those considered awful when it's the go to of complaints of every coach. Even those praised as the greats make awful roster management or lineup choices and dont win with stacked teams. It's there with Babs, Julien, Lavs, Bb, every coach in the league and not. Sheldon Keefe too when you ask those following the Marlies. People cry for JC but he had typical coach moves people act like Q is unique and dumb doing. Not playing skilled guys more, playing robin norrell at forward, etc.

You should try to name the coaches one thinks are absent of it because in reality that list will be slim to none.

I was more implying that there are more than you think. I have spoke to Babcock doing that same things that Q does before. I guess I forgot the :sarcasm: so that is my bad.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
/\ Not buying it. Sorry.

Of course, poor roster decisions will happen on occasion for any coach but with Q it's chronic... and he typically compounds the issue by stubbornly sticking to his poor decisions, long after it has become obvious to everyone that things aren't working very well.

We saw a prime example last season with Cat and Kane playing on separate lines literally all season long no matter how bad things became. In recent times we have seen it with Kempny, with Forsling, with Seabs, with Hino, with Oesterle, with Gus, with Bouma, with Franson to name just a few.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
/\ Not buying it. Sorry.

Of course, poor roster decisions will happen on occasion for any coach but with Q it's chronic... and he typically compounds the issue by stubbornly sticking to his poor decisions, long after it has become obvious to everyone that things aren't working very well.

We saw a prime example last season with Cat and Kane playing on separate lines literally all season long no matter how bad things became. In recent times we have seen it with Kempny, with Forsling, with Seabs, with Hino, with Oesterle, with Gus, with Bouma, with Franson to name just a few.
Is there dozens of fans here who will say that about their coach? Yes.. including Caps and Vegas fans and fans around the league can see it.

Every single teams fans can break down half a dozen of miscast, overused, oddly punished, weird combos, etc per season by their coach.

And Im not thinking Q shouldnt he gone but theres rational to how to evaluate and praise coaches but theres no fantasy all wise choices.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Is there dozens of fans here who will say that about their coach? Yes.. including Caps and Vegas fans and fans around the league can see it.

Every single teams fans can break down half a dozen of miscast, overused, oddly punished, weird combos, etc per season by their coach.

And Im not thinking Q shouldnt he gone but theres rational to how to evaluate and praise coaches but theres no fantasy all wise choices.

So let me get this straight: You think Q's roster decisions aren't any worse than other NHL coaches? Right? If so, this conversation is over.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
So let me get this straight: You think Q's roster decisions aren't any worse than other NHL coaches? Right? If so, this conversation is over.

Is that said or implied? But what other. You dont seem to be dedicated to any nuanced discussion about what positives there are to your so clear better options of Trotz or Keenan other than Keenan being tough and saying he wins everywhere despite his last 3 Nhl coaching stints not winning anything.

You have Trotz making a terrible goalie choice that was odd and joked st for going against how he deferred before saying who they play could determine his choice. Then he claimed oh that bad choice added a boost to the team... that's as if Q praised in the cup parade his fresh legs of teuvo abd vermette getting those OT points. I never heard such a thing happen.

If you think Q is the worst of coaches you should want any solution but that's intellectually lazy to conclude

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad