Eurolanche: Exclusive: Interview with Igor Shvyrev

EurolancheDavid

Eurolanche talked with Igor with the help of a Russian translator after Magnitogorsk’s practice in Bratislava, Slovakia, where his team was scheduled to face HC Slovan Bratislava. Igor’s contract in the KHL expires after this season. Eurolanche wishes all the best to Igor. Hopefully, he will become an Avalanche player in the future.

How do you like the current season? Is it better than the previous two?

My third season with the team’s been good so far. I haven’t been playing much, because I’m still a prospect, still a young player, but I feel that I’m growing [hockey-wise] and getting better with each day.

Haven’t you thought about going to Canada to play in the Major Juniors? Haven’t you thought about it when you were younger?

I thought about it, but I chose to stay here [in Russia]. My contract will expire after this season and I’ll have to think about my future. Maybe it could still be a possibility.

FULL INTERVIEW AT: Exclusive: Interview with Igor Shvyrev - Eurolanche.com

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Oooh, good job Eurolanche! Hopefully he comes over ASAP. @henchman24 has been raving about this guy if he only comes over so I can only wish. This interview gave me some reason to believe so.

Someone who has watched him: is he truly a dependable two way guy like he says he is? :laugh: I mean, his offensive skills are the ones that I've read to be excellent. Could he be another legit possibility to be our 2C?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I love that he called himself a sniper and laughed. I immediately went and checked his stats. Igor Shvyryov

Hard to tell from a stat sheet what to think of him, has anyone watched him play and feel like sharing some info?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Kid's got a wonderful quick wrister, his sniping is definitely no joke. He's a crafty playmaker, but that sniping is what sticks out most. Also have seen some very nifty takeaways from him in the neutral zone & on the forecheck, though I don't have a firm opinion on his positioning and work in his own zone. That all said I think he'll end up a winger if he does come over.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Someone who has watched him: is he truly a dependable two way guy like he says he is? :laugh: I mean, his offensive skills are the ones that I've read to be excellent. Could he be another legit possibility to be our 2C?

The question with Shvy to me is more about him coming over than his ability. The kid is supremely skilled and works his butt off. Not always graceful skating, but he gets the job done and is much better than given credit for in that area. He is actually good defensive player, not perfect but works hard and is smart. He will learn that side of the game pretty easily.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If he's a true sniper get him over here ASAP. This team lacks a true sniper, to have potentially found one so late in the draft would be such a help to this team's future.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Obviously with translations not being perfect it's hard to read into that interview too much, but man that certainly sounds like a kid who has every intention of coming across the pond at some point possibly even in the near future.

The two parts most important to me were that he says it's even possible he comes over to play in Canada's Major Junior leagues next year(Is he still eligible? I assume yes but not sure), and that he would absolutely attend a camp with the Avs if given the invitation.

That's the words of a kid just waiting for his chance to cross the pond.

Reactions: GBoeklen32

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
That's a great scoop by you guys! Great to hear more about what his plans and hopes are, that's been all speculation up to this point.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Now is definitely the time to try and bring him over as well. Lots of Russian speaking players on the team that would be able to help him with the transition and learning the language a bit more.

Zadorov will be here for a long time(Hopefully), but we dont really know how long Varly, Yakupov, Kamenev, or Mironov will be here for.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
The question with Shvy to me is more about him coming over than his ability. The kid is supremely skilled and works his butt off. Not always graceful skating, but he gets the job done and is much better than given credit for in that area. He is actually good defensive player, not perfect but works hard and is smart. He will learn that side of the game pretty easily.

Does he speak English?

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland

Awesome, thank you. So many positive things are happening for the Avs. Hopefully he comes over and gives us even more things to be happy about. I wonder if he would be fine playing in AHL though, KHL salary must be tempting.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Hejduk couldn't speak any English when he came over either. It's not the worst thing in the world. Between Kamenev and Zadorov looking like predictable long-term roster players, and Boikov in the AHL it's reasonable to think he'll manage it if he comes over. On-ice skill will cover a lot of lumps, especially for a forward who likely won't face a whole lot of defensive responsibility at first the way Mironov is doing.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Great article, even though it probably doesn't mean much, at least Avs have contacted him and that he's at least thinking about it. It doesn't give me hope though when he says that he wish he didn't get drafted.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Great article, even though it probably doesn't mean much, at least Avs have contacted him and that he's at least thinking about it. It doesn't give me hope though when he says that he wish he didn't get drafted.

The way I read it is that it didn't matter to him which team drafts him.

member 116861

He didn't say that though

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

What?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
My guess is that he said something in Russian and that only people who speak Russian understand. Could be wrong though.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well if Eurolanche wants to share the original russian text, we can resolve the questions about what exactly he said

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad