Exclusive interview with Andreas Martinsen

EurolancheDavid

Why did you choose Colorado Avalanche? You had offers from Pittsburgh Penguins and New York Islanders as well.

It was the club with the best environment, and I felt it is a place where I have the best opportunity to get into the NHL-team. And also I know they need my type of a player for the roster.

Who in the Avalanche organization contacted you first?

Head of player development, David Oliver. This was in December 2014. He had a great influence on why I chose the Avalanche.

We read about you being signed by the Avalanche before the World Championship. Why it was announced just last week?

I honestly don’t know exactly. It was some kind of the rule I think. I agreed with their offer before the tournament and signed it after. After our final game at the WCH, I could finally release this news. I signed with them right after.

If you made the Avs roster, you would not be the first Norwegian in their jersey.

Firstly, I have to say that even if didn’t make the NHL roster on the first try, I would get what I love – I will be much closer to my dream and I will do anything for it. I am prepared. If I didn't make the roster, I am determined to stay and fight for the spot.

I talked with Jonas Holos about this. Holos wants to come back to Colorado, but only if they offered him one-way deal. I would like to see him there. But my situation is probably better for me now. I am almost 25 years old and I have never tried NHL before. Jonas did and he is older.

Full interview
>>> http://eurolanche.com/article.php?id=6339 <<<

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Good interview. Thanks for this.

I just have to laugh at Holos. Still wants that guaranteed NHL money/roster spot. Good luck with that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
For Holos it is probably as much about the money as anything. He can get a pretty big chunk of money in Europe... why pass that up to go ride the bus in the AHL for ~100k?

Pittsburgh is a new name in this. It is interesting to me he didn't choose them.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Great job as always!

Interesting David Oliver was a key in this for him. I recall Rendulic said the same thing.

I like his attitude, hoping for the best for him!

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Camp is my favorite thing of the whole year,I think about it all the time. The draft might be my second favorite.

-The actual season/Playoffs (if the Avs are in them, if not...then I just pay less attention)
-UFA/Trade Deadline Day
-Draft
-Training Camp

Well, I'm glad he's already saying that if he gets sent to the AHL that he will just work harder, because it's likely that's where he'll start, unless he just has an amazing training camp and out-performs others.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I don't think we could ever express enough appreciation for what you all add to our Avs fandom. Thanks again for more great content!

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Wouldn't be surprised if Holos gets his one way deal. Why not give him a shot? Our defense if terrible and if he isn't good enough you send him down and pay him the extra 600k. Just give him a one year deal.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Wouldn't be surprised if Holos gets his one way deal. Why not give him a shot? Our defense if terrible and if he isn't good enough you send him down and pay him the extra 600k. Just give him a one year deal.

I can see that side of it. And from Martinsen's quote, he only said Holos wanted a 1-way deal, nothing about a guaranteed roster spot...now, I know that 1-way deals usually mean a roster spot is guaranteed, but the Avs paid Noreau his full $625k while in the AHL.

So...yeah, if they wanted to, why not, he literally could not be worse than seeing Guenin/Holden out there

Would you rather have him or Elliott come back? Or replace Hejda. Because that's what it would be. There aren't many D contract slots left.

Pretty sure Gervais was on an NHL deal last year as well, so if anything he could be a Gervais replacement...albeit one who might actually have a legitimate shot at getting some NHL time (unlike Gervais who never stood a chance)

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Pretty sure Gervais was on an NHL deal last year as well, so if anything he could be a Gervais replacement...albeit one who might actually have a legitimate shot at getting some NHL time (unlike Gervais who never stood a chance)

Don't forget Bigras and Geertsen are "new" contracts that are using up slots. There are only a finite number of contract slots left per position and per level. I've written a lot about it lately so I'll spare the speech. There are exactly only 4 slots for defense left in the complete organization for defense. EJ's partner, Hejda replacement, Clark (who surely will get brought back) and one more for the AHL. That's it.

Speaking of, looks like Martinsen got some good coin out of his deal. 742k according to the multitude of cap sites. That's the 4th highest in our AHL system (Rendulic and Everberg are under 650k)

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Don't forget Bigras and Geertsen are "new" contracts that are using up slots. There are only a finite number of contract slots left per position and per level. I've written a lot about it lately so I'll spare the speech. There are exactly only 4 slots for defense left in the complete organization for defense. EJ's partner, Hejda replacement, Clark (who surely will get brought back) and one more for the AHL. That's it.

Speaking of, looks like Martinsen got some good coin out of his deal. 742k according to the multitude of cap sites. That's the 4th highest in our AHL system (Rendulic and Everberg are under 650k)

Caron may not be back, so there's another contract slot. They got rid of Stollery, and even though they took back Hamilton, they still freed up an additional contract slot with the Talbot deal.

I'm not saying they can just throw them around with reckless abandon, but I would think that if they were inclined to throw one Holos' way, it wouldn't be the worst thing, and they would still be able to look at more effectively helping the NHL squad as well.

And who knows what could happen with our other players this offseason

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
For a guy who isn't all that good, he sure does have a lot of demands. On July 1st, maybe some other NHL team will cater to all of his needs and guarantee him whatever he wants.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Thanks for the heads up on the article. Yeah it sounds like it's more than just about the one way money, he wants a top 4 spot guaranteed. That's cool if that's his choice, he probably won't get that but he says he's not waiting for it either. He says he's done with the KHL too, too much instability and he doesn't want to go to one of the poorer teams there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad