Jun 24, 2012
C'mon Gino, you can beat this. :yo:

knuck

On and off fan
Sponsor
Mar 26, 2006
La Prairie Beach
That really, really sucks...

I believe he has several children (like, over 5 or something). This is the worst part ... :(

68*

This is so sad. But maybe there is some hope. I didn't think Bozon would make it, I didn't think Schumi would wake up from his coma but I was wrong. Hoping for a miracle...

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
I wonder if he could get a heart transplant or if the same thing would happen with the new heart. Best of luck to him and his family.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I feel bad/sad for the guy and his family, life has been hard for him since he left hockey :(

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
It look like a genetic disorder meaning Gino always had it. So if it took 43 years to become a serious issue a heart transplant could expand his life and give doctors the time to do something.

Cardiac amyloidosis is irreversible. Amyloid protein is also the culprit in Alzheimer's disease, which is also irreversible. Sad. Forty-three is too short a lifespan.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Cardiac amyloidosis is irreversible. Amyloid protein is also the culprit in Alzheimer's disease, which is also irreversible. Sad. Forty-three is too short a lifespan.

Yeah, not much we can do about these diseases now. And yes, it's almost certainly genetic since he's developing the condition at a relatively young age. Some molecules are known to help in dissolving protein aggregates, but we're still far from treatment.

Sucks. Gino always seemed to me like he was a genuinely nice guy. Reading Dostoievsky and such during flights. But then again, head trauma certainly took it's toll on him lately as well.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
This is so sad. But maybe there is some hope. I didn't think Bozon would make it, I didn't think Schumi would wake up from his coma but I was wrong. Hoping for a miracle...
I'm a nurse and have worked with patients with severe head trauma, both in a "medical" setting and in a "mental health" setting.

He woke up, and might or might not be able to give an interview one day, but he most certainly will be a changed man forever. Wouldn't want to be in his families' shoes right now.

There are some varied and very tough consequences to such head traumas, symptoms that will affect him (pains, headaches, dizziness, etc) AND changes that will affect those around him (personality, behavior, losses in mental abilities). I've seen patients VERY happy to see their family members only to punch one of them minutes later for no reason. He has lost the ability to stop his pulsions, and for some reason felt like punching then and there.

EDIT I guess what I'm trying to say is that sometimes "a miracle" isn't so great after a while. I do wish all the best to him though, hope he comes back healthy and lives a good life.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
So it is just something he was born with, or is it genetic/hereditary?

He's part native right? Do they have a history with this kind of disease?

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002

He has AL amyloidosis. Surprisingly, it doesn't involves the brain.

Anyways, I was in shock when I heard the news yesterday. I've seen quite a few things in my short career thus far but I've never seen a case of amyloidosis. So rare, this is like getting struck by thunder. Life is so fragile!

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I don't think so. At least not according to my primary sources.

If you're talking about native's history with this disease, I think you're right.

These relatively rare diseases often pop up anywhere, anytime. You can't conclude anything from one case. There would need to have history in his family. And even then, with just that information, you couldn't conclude with 100% certainty that's it's related to the community.

That's how genetic mutations work. We need them to evolve, but sometimes things will go horribly wrong.

Anyways, sucks big time. My thoughts are with Gino, let's hope the guy and his family can find some inner peace before the end.:heart:

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
What a shame. He is still pretty young, all things considered. Robert Jordan, the author of the Wheel of Time series passed from the same illness. Positive thoughts sent your way, Gino.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
WOW

what a great letter

makes me wish he can last till the canucks home opener so he can hear

gino gino

one more time

Indeed, this is heartbreaking. This is things like this that made me go into biological science (even if I'm in HIV research ATM)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad