GDT: [EX GM 6] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | 7:00PM PST | Canucks.com

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Possibly. There are ways around it but it involves getting his replacement back in a trade. You’d also have to be completely confident that Miller and Pettersson are 100% Cs for a long time.

Semi-related; did you know Dylan Larkin will be an UFA?
Rumor was Larkin was going to sign was it not?

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Hoglander has earned a spot on this team. He’s sporadic and needs to calm down and think for half a second sometimes but his tenacity and motor is NHL tier.

Agree. I feel like you have to just ride it out with Hoglander.

I remember Viktor Arvidsson showing the same motor and skills but he didn't put it together until he reached 23 years old.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Survived that ugly stream, and survived that ugly game.

Psychologically, that was probably a needed win. But at the same time, Edmonton probably feels pretty good about the amount of dirty crap they got away with in this game with zero response.

- Pettersson is going to have a huge season if he stays healthy and maintains this intensity. This is the best he's looked since the first 20 games of his career 4 years ago. But disappointingly that line with Podkolzin didn't really get the liftoff everyone hoped for tonight, although the choppy game and tons of PPs didn't help. Probably Podkolzin's worst game of the preseason. Kuzmenko was a bit quieter tonight but still looks like a better version of Boeser on the PP.

- Horvat ended up picking up a couple points, but man what a piss-poor effort. Lazy passes to nobody in the middle of the ice, not moving his feet to chase for pucks, didn't respond physically when 4 separate teammates were cheapshotted - in most cases with him on the ice. Barf. Needs to be way more checked in than that.

- Garland has had a good preseason and keeps picking up points. Pearson had a better game than against Seattle and was the only guy who at least tried to respond to Edmonton cheapshots.

- Dickinson-Aman-Lazar line was decent. Zero skill level but 3 big guys who work hard and get around the ice well and can zero-event their shifts. Aman has hung in the roster discussion longer than I expected.

- disappointing game for Joshua after the way he trucked Seattle earlier in the preseason. Was invisible physically tonight in a game where the team needed it.

- Hoglander was a little better tonight, but still choppy and isolated. But did score again. Hard to see where he fits in the lineup, doesn't really seem to have chemistry anywhere or really fit on any line.

- Kyle Burroughs should be locked into the top 6 to start the season. Was probably the team's best defender tonight while playing his off-side with a bumbling Tyler Myers. Barely put a foot wrong and everything he did looked crisp and effective. Skating better, playing with more tempo and assertiveness to start this season. Absolutely no contest between he and Poolman in this preseason in terms of effectiveness. Has been strong in every game he's played.

- Poolman was the opposite of Burroughs. Everything he did, he did slowly. Chasing the play, looking confused despite being in a good situation with the reliable OEL. On merit, he should just leave his gear in a locker in Abbotsford tonight.

- Quinn Hughes did some nice things offensively on the PP but had a rough as hell night defensively at ES. Schooled by McDavid, and was totally switched off (along with Myers) in conceding a breakaway with 20 seconds left. Not a sharp effort for him.

- Martin was ... meh. Hard to blame him in a vacuum for any of the goals but didn't really make any huge saves and had a few ugly rebounds that created second chance opportunities that shouldn't have happened.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Hughes Schenn
OEL Myers
Rathbone Burroughs
Wolanin

Poolman to AHL. Clear as day to me.

Also took a quick look at the Edmonton board. The average IQ there is 10-20 points lower for sure. Lots of hoping for Canucks injuries and even saw one about sending Petey to the hospital lol

Last edited:

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Game had some real feeling in it. Canucks fortunate the Hughes and Pettersson weren't too badly hurt. If the team wants to go anywhere they needs to respond fully to any attempt to take out those players.

Good

Garland - pepper pot who never takes a shift off. Effective in every zone.

Hughes - outstanding. Played it smarter with McDavid as game went on by moving up and knocking puck away as McDavid was picking it up.

Pettersson - worked hard both ways and his shooting was the difference.

Burroughs - got so you wanted the puck on his stick more than almost any other d-man stick not named Hughes.

Bad

Poolman - couldn't handle Oiler speed. Looks off balance near all the time.

Myers - at his ugliness in this one. Might have been one step up from Poolman but that's debatable. We know he can play better than this whereas we know Poolman can't

Horvat - looked like he gave a damn late in the third but otherwise stank. Didn't think he showed any skill any of his shots on goal. Terrible coming back in defensive transition. So far this season, his skating, never very good, seems to have taken a step back.

Others

Joshua - can't do anything with the puck. Really hasn't met minimum expectations to this point in terms of actually being able to play.

Dickinson - maybe his best game but still not good enough. Simply cannot win a battle for the puck. Mediocre at best in every skill. Had no chance of slowing McDavid in the neutral zone or even making him change direction.

Lazar - had some good moments and a positive step in this game. Looks like he may help the team.

Aman - complimentary player but doing better along boards than most of his competition for a job.

Martin - certainly not stellar and I don't know how confident you can be with him as the back up. Probably better than Skinner however.

Kuzmenko - finding his way in this game a bit. Times when him and Pettersson showed some chemistry but he also had trouble getting the puck out of his end and through neutral ice.

Hoglander - good start but faded after getting high-sticked by Nurse (you wonder if the League will review that)

Dries - best game of the pre-season. Had the wheels in this one to stay in the play. Maybe got a little boost playing in front of Abby fans.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Can we interpret the 10 power plays being the result of the Canucks playing well and forcing Edmonton to take penalties. Probly not, but thought I'd throw that out there.Wasn't watching the game too closely due to the poor broadcast quality.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Hughes Schenn
OEL Myers
Rathbone Burroughs
Wolanin

Poolman to AHL. Clear as day to me.

Also took a quick look at the Edmonton board. The average IQ there is 10-20 points lower for sure. Lots of hoping for Canucks injuries and even saw one about sending Petey to the hospital lol
A bad egg doesn’t ruin the whole dozen? Don’t paint us all as bad please :)

Have a nice day

ChemicalHansen

Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
Anyone know where I can find video highlights? It doesn't normally take this long to find highlights on the NHL app, Youtube, Canucks.com directly, etc....

Reactions: Indiana

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I was really disappointed to see the response on the Pettersson hit, especially when it looked like Horvat was trying to diffuse the situation rather than show any sort of push back. Really pathetic. I don't expect him to come in there swinging his stick around like an axe but I'm sick and tired of this team being such a wilting flower that can watch its best players be pushed around. This team needs to show some heart and stick up for each other and that culture starts with the captain.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I was really disappointed to see the response on the Pettersson hit, especially when it looked like Horvat was trying to diffuse the situation rather than show any sort of push back. Really pathetic. I don't expect him to come in there swinging his stick around like an axe but I'm sick and tired of this team being such a wilting flower that can watch its best players be pushed around. This team needs to show some heart and stick up for each other and that culture starts with the captain.

And it's one thing when it's a 1-goal game in the 3rd period in the regular season and you don't want to lose the game by reacting.

It's another when it's a preseason game and the result is meaningless. If some guy cheapshots your teammate, you get your pound of flesh. Putting your team shorthanded is completely irrelevant.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Can’t stress enough how sad it was to see Horvat actively turn away each time he saw someone get cheapshotted. Absolutely unacceptable from the captain, wow

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Can’t stress enough how sad it was to see Horvat actively turn away each time he saw someone get cheapshotted. Absolutely unacceptable from the captain, wow

I've been on the trade Horvat train since the lack of any response during the covid debacle. He's not a good leader. Evidenced over and over. Ship him out for a strong RD or boatload of picks.

Reactions: brock hughes007

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I've been on the trade Horvat train since the lack of any response during the covid debacle. He's not a good leader. Evidenced over and over. Ship him out for a strong RD or boatload of picks.
oh my god

Reactions: rypper

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Gotta give it to Pearson for always being the first to jump in after a dirty play. When do we see Horvat jump in like that

never. maybe once in a bluemoon. that one game in detroit, garland got mugged and he came in in his defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad