Former Bruins Ex Bruin general discussion II

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
A lot of temptations out there, especially if you have money.
Hope he gets it together and keeps it there.

Gotta go, got to run over some smurfs, or was it habs.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I watched the Islanders today for the first time in a while, losing yet another game, this time to Calgary. It was nice to see Chara again. He looks pretty much the same as ever since he cracked 40. It was a reminder too that despite how much the Isles have sucked this year he still has a better plus/minus than any Bruins defender except McAvoy and Gryz. And that he was basically pushed out of Boston supposedly to make way for youth, but his direct spot is essentially currently being filled by a 29 year-old trade-in who costs 3 times as much while not being as good and bringing none of Zee's leadership and gravitas.

Which is not to hate on Forbort, who's fine for what he is, or to resent Chara being let go, which was a logical enough decision in principle. Rather it's to reflect on Sweeney making one of his many moves that was right in theory but botched in execution, like Ritchie for Heinen or giving washed up Foligno a bad contract.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I watched the Islanders today for the first time in a while, losing yet another game, this time to Calgary. It was nice to see Chara again. He looks pretty much the same as ever since he cracked 40. It was a reminder too that despite how much the Isles have sucked this year he still has a better plus/minus than any Bruins defender except McAvoy and Gryz. And that he was basically pushed out of Boston supposedly to make way for youth, but his direct spot is essentially currently being filled by a 29 year-old trade-in who costs 3 times as much while not being as good and bringing none of Zee's leadership and gravitas.

Which is not to hate on Forbort, who's fine for what he is, or to resent Chara being let go, which was a logical enough decision in principle. Rather it's to reflect on Sweeney making one of his many moves that was right in theory but botched in execution, like Ritchie for Heinen or giving washed up Foligno a bad contract.
A bird in the hand should've been worth 4 in the bush.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

Really don’t mind he got let go. He might have a better plus minus but here, he was painful to watch. The puck died in his stick. Heck, even Washington didn’t resign him. I’m over Mr .Chara. Will wait until he comes back to coach here eventually.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Really don’t mind he got let go. He might have a better plus minus but here, he was painful to watch. The puck died in his stick. Heck, even Washington didn’t resign him. I’m over Mr .Chara. Will wait until he comes back to coach here eventually.
As long as he doesn’t come back as a strength and conditioning coach. Like a St Bernard in a small apartment, he would break things and players.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

As I said, I have no issues with Chara being let go. The timing was right. Same goes for Krug. It was fine to let him seek the bigger bucks elsewhere. But you've got to then replace what's been lost and ideally improve the team by doing so. And that hasn't happened. The 2018-2020 Bruins D was comfortably better than what we have now. It's gone backwards at a time when the team is supposedly still trying to win a Cup. That's not how it's supposed to go.

Reactions: veganbruin

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
As I said, I have no issues with Chara being let go. The timing was right. Same goes for Krug. It was fine to let him seek the bigger bucks elsewhere. But you've got to then replace what's been lost and ideally improve the team by doing so. And that hasn't happened. The 2018-2020 Bruins D was comfortably better than what we have now. It's gone backwards at a time when the team is supposedly still trying to win a Cup. That's not how it's supposed to go.

I often agree with what you say, but letting go of Krug was an awful move. Letting him go without replacing was done to line Jacob's pockets.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I often agree with what you say, but letting go of Krug was an awful move. Letting him go without replacing was done to line Jacob's pockets.
I don’t think it was an awful move, but what they used his money for wasn’t great. How does Krug not resigning benefit JJ’s pockets if they’ve spent the money elsewhere?

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

As @The National said, the issue lies in what Krug's money was used for. Torey's a really good player, but is he really worth $6+ mil and a contract that lasts until 2027? I'd say not, and so I think moving on from him was fine, much as I miss him. But you've got to then replace him and what he brought to the table effectively. And that hasn't happened. Basically his role is being covered between Gryz and Reilly. Gryz is better 5v5 but he was already in Boston and doing that anyway, and on the PP he can't get close to Krug. Neither can McAvoy. And Reilly's best form is ok but it's well short of Krug's level. Plus Krug despite his short stature has plenty of moxie, and Gryz and Reilly just don't. So the void the Hobbit left hasn't been completed filled, let alone improved upon, and that's another fail in the Sweeney ledger.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
I liked Krug, but you have to be realistic in a cap era. $6.5 million to Krug would have handicapped the entire structure.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I was every bit in moving on from Krug IF they would replace him with a top 4 physical, two way defenseman. Instead they added Reilly and Forbort. Would have made more sense to just keep Krug instead of throwing the cap space away.

Exactly this, or many of Sweeny's other lousy signings.
Chizler not out of touch vis a vis the cap. They have been under the cap the 1.5 mil to pay Krug.....Kinda fuuny that this team has never used ltir to spend above the cap................

Last edited:
Reactions: KnightofBoston

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Exactly this, or many of Sweeny's other lousy signings.
Chizler not out of touch vis a vis the cap. They have been under the cap the 1.5 mil to pay Krug.....Kinda fuuny that this team has never used ltir to spend above the cap................

because you need a buffer to move guys up and down when needed. LTIR is not free money and you dont want to go there unless really forced to.

Cap and 23 man roster and sick/ injured work hand in hand.

I hate the ownership but ffs reality is they arent cheaping out like pre Cap.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
because you need a buffer to move guys up and down when needed. LTIR is not free money and you dont want to go there unless really forced to.

Cap and 23 man roster and sick/ injured work hand in hand.

I hate the ownership but ffs reality is they arent cheaping out like pre Cap.

It would be a terrible look for JJ to cheap out given that he led the charge for the cap to begin with. It is also a lot harder to be cheap without looking cheap under the cap which was always a strong point for him :laugh:

Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad