Confirmed with Link: Evgeny Svechnikov signs 1 year extension

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
It's all about his knee, if it hasn't healed by now, he's probably done as a player.

I have knee issues myself, so I feel for the kid. Best of luck, and I am also rooting for him.

It's not just knee issues though. He's decision making is pretty meh and he really needs to cut down on then stupid penalties. Kid has heart but needs a head to match it.

Reactions: Sir Savage the 21st

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It's not just knee issues though. He's decision making is pretty meh and he really needs to cut down on then stupid penalties. Kid has heart but needs a head to match it.

I don't know. When he was up last year, despite the small minutes, he was making a noticeable, positive difference. He played well. But we know from various reportings that his knee limited him all year, and I think I remember hearing he had some more work done this off-season to clean it up a bit. If his knee is good to go, at the very minimum he's an NHLer, and probably a more effective one than a lot of guys we ran out there.

rwings01

Mar 9, 2004
Montreal
Unfortunately for us God gave his little brother all the skill and heart needed to be a top NHL player and didn’t have enough left for our Svech.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I don't watch a ton of Grand Rapids hockey.
But when I see Svech in wearing the winged wheel, he looks good.
Led the team in scoring in the preseason.
Let the Wings in shots/60 after his callup.
He reminds me of a slower, bigger Tomas Tatar. Always buzzing around the goal. Always putting the puck toward the net.
I can still see a 25- goal season in his future if things turn for him.
But I don't see why he can't be a 15-goal 3rd liner who helps with the PP.

In the future our netfront guys could be Rasmussen, Svech and Givani Smith.

Reactions: avssuc and Henkka

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't watch a ton of Grand Rapids hockey.
But when I see Svech in wearing the winged wheel, he looks good.
Led the team in scoring in the preseason.
Let the Wings in shots/60 after his callup.
He reminds me of a slower, bigger Tomas Tatar. Always buzzing around the goal. Always putting the puck toward the net.
I can still see a 25- goal season in his future if things turn for him.
But I don't see why he can't be a 15-goal 3rd liner who helps with the PP.

In the future our netfront guys could be Rasmussen, Svech and Givani Smith.

Plus Bertuzzi in terms of the net front guys. You should legitimately have one on every line which is interesting.

Reactions: Henkka

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Really pulling for the kid. The injuries really set back his progression, but it'd be a great feel-good story if he could still carve out a role for himself in the league. Hope we have patience and give him a good opportunity next year.

Reactions: Red Stanley

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't know. When he was up last year, despite the small minutes, he was making a noticeable, positive difference. He played well. But we know from various reportings that his knee limited him all year, and I think I remember hearing he had some more work done this off-season to clean it up a bit. If his knee is good to go, at the very minimum he's an NHLer, and probably a more effective one than a lot of guys we ran out there.
Low bar. Erne, Perlini, Hirose, Ehen, Abby, Nielsen. I'm sure he can score more than 2 goals in 3/4 season, lol

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

I mean yeah. He's probably worth putting in over Abby, Perlini etc. I guess my concerns with him are the same ones I had with him BEFORE he got injured, the same ones that I've had regarding his game after watching him for 3 years. Hopefully he can carve himself out a spot. I'm just a little weary about how long term that spot is going to be as we progress through this rebuild.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Low bar. Erne, Perlini, Hirose, Ehen, Abby, Nielsen. I'm sure he can score more than 2 goals in 3/4 season, lol

We use the bars we got until we get better bars. Svech has had injury issues, but he's also shown he has the ability to be productive, he's willing to go down low and to the front of the net, his hands aren't bad, and I think he has pretty decent hockey sense. There's a lot to like about the guy, and I think he's someone who could become a guy with the ability to fill in up and down the lineup. I'm really hoping he stays healthy and becomes a McCarty/Lapointe guy for us - someone who goes out, plays physical, and pops in ~15 goals.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I know very little about him as a player but I do remember that in his callups he was noticeable in a positive way and I was a little baffled by his limited usage. I didn't remember him making any huge gaffes that warranted stapling him to the bench like he was.

Reactions: avssuc

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yup, useless. Nielsen will be needed when Flip, Helm, and LGD are traded at the TDL. He's gotta stay with the team because GR probably isn't playing.... and if GR doesn't play, it's more of a reason to waive Abby so the youngsters like Smith, Svech, and Raz get some ice time. Heck, I'd rather see Pearson than Abby or Nielsen, or anyone from GR under 28 (which is the age when forwards tend to peak).

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Didn't he get loaned to a KHL team too? Not sure if that's still a rumor or...?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad