Evgeny Svechnikov headed to the KHL next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Source is suspect, so not reading to much into this until DRW make an official statement. Would it surprise me, no, but considering what’s he’s gone through to get back to this level, his brother in the NHL, I highly doubt it to be true.

Reactions: lilidk

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Why do you say the source is suspect?
1. This blog post cites a Russian website, that cites a "source", without naming or quoting the "source". That is not journalism.

2. The Russian people commenting on the article are calling bullshit.

3. How does this even make sense? Without knowing how this season ends, or what Detroit's plans for him are, why would he go to Russia? He could hypothetically go a point per game the rest of the year, get handed a big contract and first line duties in Detroit, but he's gonna go to Russia anyway?

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Wouldn't Detroit still hold on to his rights? Could be a good option versus losing him via waivers if he didn't make the big club next year. Gives him another year to rehab.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I could see a scenario where this was Yzermans idea in the first place. Or he at least promotes it. He can’t go to the the AHL next year without going through waivers. This would give him a year of healthy development. While making better money. Win win for everyone.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Contract negotiations have started.

Datsyuk coming Detroit? Then he signs to Yekateringburg.

Imo, this happens almost always with Russian players, they are going over the pond on one direction, and then stay where they are.

Of course, it's a possibility that he goes to Kazan, his former team there, but also, wouldn't keep this as 100% sure thing to happen.

Basic negotiation tactics. You can't negotiate with other NHL team as RFA, so agents of russian players use this home league option usually to drag more money. More money for the player is more money for the greedy agent.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Call me old fashion, but I trust very little reported out of Russia. Should he end up there I wish him only the best.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Wouldn't Detroit still hold on to his rights? Could be a good option versus losing him via waivers if he didn't make the big club next year. Gives him another year to rehab.

As long as they qualify him as an RFA, yes.

My guess is that (if it's even true) this is for some negotiating leverage to try to make his next NHL contract a one-way deal. That or a fall back plan if he doesn't get the NHL offer he wants.

My other guess is that it's click bait speculation from his home country in reaction to the Wings adding more log jam in front of him for this and possibly next season with the additions of Gagner and Timashov.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I will believe it when he reports to a KHL team. I think he will stay. I do however tend not to blame prospects for feeling stuck in the AHL more than most. If you know you have talent and you could be making millions elsewhere and you are getting mixed messages about your future in the NHL then make some waves. It hurts nothing to give this guy ice time and see what he can do in the NHL and then if he can't cut it you go from there. If he bails I would not blame him. I do think its bad timing on his part though considering the organization changes that have been made. I would have given it one more season before rocking the boat.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I would have given it one more season before rocking the boat.

To me that would make the most sense... He can hit waivers if he doesn't make the NHL team this fall. If he stays healthy, keeps producing the rest of this year and has a good camp, Yzerman might look to keep him up as a #13/14 forward option in fear of losing him on waivers. And if not, he could get claimed. Then if he clears, he could try to get his NHL deal terminated so he can go over to the KHL.

If he goes over as a Red Wing's RFA (assuming they qualify him) this summer, they'll have a stake in any potential NHL future he has until he can become a UFA in summer 2024.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Seems like bad time to bail with how open the roster will be next season.

The roster should have been wide open this season.
Leads the team in pre-season points.
Led the team in shots/60 during a short call up.

Yet, Hirose, Erne, Perlini and even Givani Smith played more. And now Timashov will play more.
Svech needs to get the f*** out of Detroit.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
The roster should have been wide open this season.
Leads the team in pre-season points.
Led the team in shots/60 during a short call up.

Yet, Hirose, Erne, Perlini and even Givani Smith played more. And now Timashov will play more.
Svech needs to get the f*** out of Detroit.

Sending highly talented players like Svech back to the AHL while keeping career AHLers like Hirose, Erne and Perlini up is such a Red Wings thing to do. Pisses me off. Do they see something with Svech that we don't? Because as you've said, he's been one of the best player in the preseason AND also during his callup. WTF does he need to do to stay in Detroit?

I hope this report is fake but if he does go back to Russia, I wouldn't blame him one bit...

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Sending highly talented players like Svech back to the AHL while keeping career AHLers like Hirose, Erne and Perlini up is such a Red Wings thing to do. Pisses me off. Do they see something with Svech that we don't? Because as you've said, he's been one of the best player in the preseason AND also during his callup. WTF does he need to do to stay in Detroit?

I hope this report is fake but if he does go back to Russia, I wouldn't blame him one bit...

I have real concerns about Svech's skating. It wasn't great to begin with and blowing out his knee didn't help.
But I love his size, his hands, his release...
No reason he couldn't have spent the season in Detroit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad