Speculation: Evgeni Malkin

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
Yeah, I don't think the Pens would ever consider it from the Yotes, unless OEL would be going the other way. Plus the Pens are reasonably deep at D, there isn't really a need trading their #2 offensive threat for another D when they have Despres, Maatta, Harrington, Pouliot, etc coming up. If they needed help on D, they would probably resign Niskanen first.

We can file this as not complete impossibility, but along the same lines of alien landings in crop circles.

Don't see the Pens trading Malkin. Niskanen will probably make more than OEL next season. The speculation is that the Pens can't afford to re-sign Niskanen.
They may have trouble re-signing Sutter. That's why I speculate that the Pens may have interest in Stone and maybe even some of our cheaper depth forwards.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
He would be a great fit.
Vermette, Hanzal, and Sutter down the middle would be formidable. And if the Coyotes could also sign Vitale...

I want the Coyotes to get back to being a team that is hard to play against.

The Pens need a GM 1st, and then figure how to rebuild their roster.

Yeah, I'm hoping the new Pens GM decides to do an aggressive retool around Crosby and Malkin, making everyone else available.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He would be a great fit.
Vermette, Hanzal, and Sutter down the middle would be formidable. And if the Coyotes could also sign Vitale...

I want the Coyotes to get back to being a team that is hard to play against.

The Pens need a GM 1st, and then figure how to rebuild their roster.

Ribeiro-Hanzal-Vrbata
Doan-Vermette-Boeds
Domi-B. Sutter-Erat
McMil-Vitale-Szwarz
Biz

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
Yeah, I'm hoping the new Pens GM decides to do an aggressive retool around Crosby and Malkin, making everyone else available.

They're not in cap hell, close, and they do have to be creative if they want to fill their roster. I would imagine they want to do something before free agency to free up space and/or fill up some roster spots. IMO, Letang @ $7.25mil is what is hurting them, and I don't see how they can move him while they don't have a GM or Coach. Niskanen seems to be as good as gone. Or will they trade Neal, so they can free up money to re-sign Niskanen? Sutter's avaiability is based on the premise that he is due a significant raise to what a 2nd line center would make (like around Hanzal-Vermette).

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
the Pens want to rebalance their team a bit and get some grit.

obtaining a guy like James Neal is more realistic. Not sure the status of Jokinen's contract but the pens have to many one way offensive forwards.

Malkin is one of the few Russians in the NHL I would try to get but Pens would be nuts to trade him and the Yotes dont have the assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad