Evgeni Malkin and Erik Karlsson

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Inspired by the poll that one of the well-known instagram users had on his page recently. Results of that poll kinda shocked me. Almost 60% voted for Karlsson as the better player. I'm not comparing their playing qualities but asking about the impact each of them had in this league and on their teams. Does anyone really believe Karlsson is the more impactful player throughout his career than Malkin? Would like to read why.

P.s. Don't bring Crosby argument into this in any way, shape or form cause that'd get this discussion nowhere.

Reactions: byrath

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Malkin has the higher career value atm, I don't think that's really arguable. He's older, has Cups and a Smythe. Better player though, either right now or cumulative .. I still think it's Malkin, but it's close. If I had to pick one for my team, and we're equally lacking at C and D, I think I'd take Karlsson (disregarding contract and age). Seems kind of inconsistent! So I suppose my final answer is :dunno:

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Malkin has the higher career value atm, I don't think that's really arguable. He's older, has Cups and a Smythe. Better player though, either right now or cumulative .. I still think it's Malkin, but it's close. If I had to pick one for my team, and we're equally lacking at C and D, I think I'd take Karlsson (disregarding contract and age). Seems kind of inconsistent! So I suppose my final answer is :dunno:
Pick Malkin, he provides better entertainment value. Hockey is an entertainment after all.

Reactions: Smart Alek

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Maybe people have the fact that karlsson almost single handedly carried his team to the con- finals in mind. The "what if karlson had a good team around him" argument. I actually think their both in the same tier - top 5 in the league
So it's basically one great playoff run that creates anything argument-like for Karlsson. Because Malkin's had multiple of those. In hardware department it's also not close, Malkin is far and away ahead.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The one thing that has bothered me about Karlsson is that he can be rattled if the game gets physical and chippy. Malkin can handle the physical play.
Hard to compare players that play different positions but I would choose Malkin over Karlsson any day. I would rather have my more skilled guys up the middle. On defence I'd prefer better all round players.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Why does Malkin get a new thread comparing him to different guys every day now . On the oilers I’d want ek on Nashville I’d want Malkin .

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Because Malkin gets the good-team tax and Karlsson gets the bad-team bump.
Malkin is one of the two reasons why his team is a good team. Kinda lame argument from his haters to say the least
Malkin benefits by getting secondary matchups. EK65 and it’s not even close.
Again this BS thing. People who say this untruth are the reason why Malkin didn't make it to top-100 all time while he should be in the upper part of that 100.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Arguably the best dman in the world vs one of the absolute best centers, toss up for me. Malkin obviously got the better career being older and on a better team.

Would obivously take Karlsson for the future but I suppose that's not what OP is asking.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Malkin benefits by getting secondary matchups. EK65 and it’s not even close.
When Crosby went down for a good chunk of a season a while back. Malkin excelled. Carried that team. That "easier matchups" thing is nonexistent.
Even if you don't believe that, just watch him play. Clearly this is someone who's at the top talent wise in the whole league.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I'll take the 100 point C. Malkin. It's close, just depends what you value more, a #1C or a #1D?

I'd rather have the #1C who can carry a whole line no matter who the wings are.

Yah...EK had That one great playoffs. But Malkin has had many of those. Like putting up 36 points with Talbot and Fedotanko on his wings.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think Karlsson has shown flashes of truly dazzling elite play to go along with some prodigious scoring - so there’s a degree of questioning if he has already hit his ceiling or whether in the different circumstances he can deliver one for the ages.

But Malkin has delivered a Conn Smythe as the best player on the planet during that crucible that is the NHL playoffs.

I think Karlsson is on the same tier of talent, but has not come close to delivering in the same way.

Last edited:
Reactions: SenatorKarlsson

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Arguably the best dman in the world vs one of the absolute best centers, toss up for me. Malkin obviously got the better career being older and on a better team.

Would obivously take Karlsson for the future but I suppose that's not what OP is asking.

This season will be interesting for Karlsson as he maintains he’s at 110%.

Whether that was to help a trade or its true remains to be seen.

It’s not really how old Karlsson is as much as how old his body is - and it’s taken a beating lately.

I wonder if he’ll be able to play into his late 30s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad