Everything you need (and more than you'd want) to know about sticks

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
True. I just see a lot of blade testing during things like pre game warmup, shinny hockey after taking a slapshot or one timer.

The testing had nothing to do with being slashed or what have you. That was my main point ... the blade test happens often enough for me not to try one out yet.

I test my blade a lot, it's mainly out of habit... but I'm not looking for breakage, I'm looking for loss of stiffness. Sometimes it feels different receiving a pass, I take a look at the tape and give the blade a little twist.

My main point here is that these sticks are well made, they aren't made "to break so you have to buy more." That would be stupid, it's made to break during the first use... ok, well then they have to pay to replace the stick under warranty and ship a new stick to the customer. Directly cutting into their profits. Remember, they already sold their sticks, that's how you bought one from your LHS or online retailer.

Also keep in mind that an unbreakable stick would be dangerous. Have you ever seen someone get a blade stuck in the zam door? It's begging for injury as is, imagine a stick that doesn't break. Even aluminum shafts would break or bend(over time they would "warp") ...and you pretty much have to use a wood blade in them. Heavy suckers too... but I digress.

:)

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
My main point here is that these sticks are well made, they aren't made "to break so you have to buy more."

yes, technically true. But I recall a conversation an associate of mine had with a representative from Easton when Synergys just hit the market.

"My customers are complaining that they're breaking a lot"
"Well, you sell more then don't you?"

Saved*

ACTUALLY, Sticks are made to break. They're not made 'indestructible' because they do not want someone being impaled on a stick if it gets stuck into a corner. That's their reasoning at least, because if it flexes and breaks instead of going into someones stomach, they survive.

GuitarAwesome

Feb 18, 2009
ACTUALLY, Sticks are made to break. They're not made 'indestructible' because they do not want someone being impaled on a stick if it gets stuck into a corner. That's their reasoning at least, because if it flexes and breaks instead of going into someones stomach, they survive.

ACTUALLY, this is an incredibly stupid comment.
You think an old wood stick is going to snap in half if it gets stuck? No. And they still let people play with them. The reason they don't make them indestructible, is because they would be worthless as hockey sticks.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Is there a comparable piece of equipment in all recreational sports that costs as much and breaks as often as a 1 piece hockey stick? I understand the amount of force that are put onto the sticks each game but what about baseball bats or something similar? My main argument is if the sticks are roughly the same weight and the materials have not seen a jump in price over the years why has the price gone from $150 to $220? Is the S17 more durable than the original Synergy? I'm sure it weighs less but how can anybody justify the $70 price increase?

ModSquad

Jan 26, 2005
www.modsquadhockey.com
New technologies, cost of materials, plus the fact that we're at war - the government gets dibs on carbon fiber/Kevlar. This is exactly why you are seeing more 12k blades out there (the wider weave). The tighter weave can be manipulated better than the wide weaves.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
I test my blade a lot, it's mainly out of habit... but I'm not looking for breakage, I'm looking for loss of stiffness. Sometimes it feels different receiving a pass, I take a look at the tape and give the blade a little twist.

My main point here is that these sticks are well made, they aren't made "to break so you have to buy more." That would be stupid, it's made to break during the first use... ok, well then they have to pay to replace the stick under warranty and ship a new stick to the customer. Directly cutting into their profits. Remember, they already sold their sticks, that's how you bought one from your LHS or online retailer.

Also keep in mind that an unbreakable stick would be dangerous. Have you ever seen someone get a blade stuck in the zam door? It's begging for injury as is, imagine a stick that doesn't break. Even aluminum shafts would break or bend(over time they would "warp") ...and you pretty much have to use a wood blade in them. Heavy suckers too... but I digress.

:)

Please stop ... you can't magically change my mind just because you believe what you believe.

Good grief ... give it a rest.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
Is there a comparable piece of equipment in all recreational sports that costs as much and breaks as often as a 1 piece hockey stick? I understand the amount of force that are put onto the sticks each game but what about baseball bats or something similar? My main argument is if the sticks are roughly the same weight and the materials have not seen a jump in price over the years why has the price gone from $150 to $220? Is the S17 more durable than the original Synergy? I'm sure it weighs less but how can anybody justify the $70 price increase?

Supply and demand and that crap ... I don't know how old you are but do you remember when they first came out with aluminum shafts after the NHL guys used them for a couple of years first? They were outrageously expensive because that was what the pros used.

The chromed Gretzky shaft was absolutely outrageously priced even more than the regular aluminums.

These one piece sticks are overpriced for sure. No doubt about it I believe you are correct.

I have also noticed that the medium priced ones are heavier and it makes me wonder if they last longer because of it .... any comments from someone here who actually has used medium priced one piece sticks?

I use a 2 piece so I cannot comment .... by the way I have not broken any shafts yet. I have been using a couple for a few months now since december 2008. I was using wood before that or wood blades in aluminum shafts which I finally retired to the closet.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Please watch the personal comments. Disagreement is no reason to start attacking another poster, no matter what you make think or feel regarding their posts.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
I have also noticed that the medium priced ones are heavier and it makes me wonder if they last longer because of it .... any comments from someone here who actually has used medium priced one piece sticks?

Those sticks contain less carbon fiber and more fiberglass. That's what makes them heavier. It doesn't make them any more durable, just cheaper to produce.

Cheap composite sticks are just that, cheap. If you're buying an OPS on a budget, you're better off getting a top end stick from a few years.

Here are a few good examples.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mission-hockey-stick-titanium-sr.html

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-hksynergystsr.html

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-hockey-stick-synergy-elite-sr.html

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-hockey-stick-dolomite07-sr-clr.html

SyracuseBulldogs*

hockeyfan68- From reading your actual words it sounds like it's just your teammates being silly. You said they test them "often" because "the guys on my team check their blades because they break them once in a while." That doesn't sound like there is a big issue merely some people being paranoid for no good reason. If you got a flat tire "once in a while" would you test your tires every time you drive? Anyone who isn't paranoid would not.

stick9- Exactly what I do, I have yet to pay anything close to full price for a stick. I get top of the line models from last year and get them at a significant discount.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
hockeyfan68- From reading your actual words it sounds like it's just your teammates being silly. You said they test them "often" because "the guys on my team check their blades because they break them once in a while." That doesn't sound like there is a big issue merely some people being paranoid for no good reason. If you got a flat tire "once in a while" would you test your tires every time you drive? Anyone who isn't paranoid would not.

stick9- Exactly what I do, I have yet to pay anything close to full price for a stick. I get top of the line models from last year and get them at a significant discount.

Well if one had flat tires often they WOULD indeed be checking their tires often. It is pretty established that flat tires are a rare occurance so yes that would be silly to check them often.

Hey .... I report what I see and that is all I can do. They really do check their ONE piece composite sticks often to see if the blade is cracked as do many folk at shinny hockey. It happens enough for me not to trust them enough to buy one myself.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Here is something I've found, I'm 5'6, 135 pounds, and 16 years old. I'd be perfect for an intermediate but I use senior because the intermediate feels skinnier and a little too skinny for me, plus I leave my sticks a bit longer than usual.

I personally think it's all preference.

SyracuseBulldogs*

Well if one had flat tires often they WOULD indeed be checking their tires often. It is pretty established that flat tires are a rare occurance so yes that would be silly to check them often.

Hey .... I report what I see and that is all I can do. They really do check their ONE piece composite sticks often to see if the blade is cracked as do many folk at shinny hockey. It happens enough for me not to trust them enough to buy one myself.

Who said anything about having flats "often?" I used your exact terminology "once in a while."

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
Who said anything about having flats "often?" I used your exact terminology "once in a while."

Why would someone check their tires if they didn't go flat very often. They wouldn't, please re-read what I typed in my first response please.

You equated checking tires as being as silly as someone checking the blade of one's stick because these things rarely happen according to you.

I stated if flats did happen often that they would check the tires for flats. 2 + 2 = blades break often enough for players to check them often.

SyracuseBulldogs*

Why would someone check their tires if they didn't go flat very often. They wouldn't, please re-read what I typed in my first response please.

You equated checking tires as being as silly as someone checking the blade of one's stick because these things rarely happen according to you.

I stated if flats did happen often that they would check the tires for flats. 2 + 2 = blades break often enough for players to check them often.

Look, you claimed these guys are checking them often and then said because they break blades once in a while. I gave an example of why it is just people being silly and now you are trying to spin things. Get over it.

Johnny Law

Sep 16, 2008
Philadelphia
I won't get into the overall debate except to say that you need to remember all that goes into making these sticks in terms of pleasing customers.

Everyone wants a super light stick that never breaks and rockets pucks even from a 65 pound girl. Needless to say this alot to ask, composites of all kinds are wonderful materials but there is a limit as to what can be done.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
Look, you claimed these guys are checking them often and then said because they break blades once in a while. I gave an example of why it is just people being silly and now you are trying to spin things. Get over it.

Well ... I was trying to follow along but what you said didn't make sense to me.

I should add also that if one reads around this forum there are a lot of brand comparisons dealing with which is more durable as being an important issue because apparently their sticks break easily too and they are looking for a more durable stick.

The reason durability is the main discussion in one piece sticks is because they are not durable and it is clearly an issue.

SyracuseBulldogs*

Well ... I was trying to follow along but what you said didn't make sense to me.
No, you got nailed and tried to spin but got busted for that. is it really too painful to admit?

I should add also that if one reads around this forum there are a lot of brand comparisons dealing with which is more durable as being an important issue because apparently their sticks break easily too and they are looking for a more durable stick.

The reason durability is the main discussion in one piece sticks is because they are not durable and it is clearly an issue.

That's great but what does it have to do with our conversation? Nothing, it's you trying to distract.

Thanks, I'm done with you on this topic, it was waaaay too easy anyway.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
No, you got nailed and tried to spin but got busted for that. is it really too painful to admit?

Honestly and matter of factly I still do not know what the hell you are talking about.

You mumbled something about the guys on my team just being paranoid and compared it to checking tires for flats for no reason. I stated if flat tires happened as often as sticks breaking they WOULD be checking their tires for flats.

I didn't think what I said was that difficult, I am sorry if it was.

SyracuseBulldogs*

Sorryu, but the complete idiocy of this just demands a response.

Honestly and matter of factly I still do not know what the hell you are talking about.

Of course you don't...it's easier for you to do that rather then admit you are full of it. You made claims, got called on them, made new claims, got called on those and now have nowhere to go.

You mumbled something about the guys on my team just being paranoid and compared it to checking tires for flats for no reason. I stated if flat tires happened as often as sticks breaking they WOULD be checking their tires for flats.

1) Mumbled? How can one mumble on the internet? I know all-caps is yelling, but what is mumbling? Oh, wait, I looked it up and that is when one types in all lower case letters. I guess this is supposed to be some sort of insult or attack meant to distract.

2) The thing about flats was an analogy. Sorry you haven't reached the point in your education where you learn about those. The analogy was to point out the idiocy of your claims (using the exact words you used).

3) Yes you did claim that...but in your words you said the broken blades happened "once in a while" which not be very often, thus people would not be examining them "often" like you claim your buddies do. Another case of spin.

4) It's funny how you had no problem with the analogy until your words came back to bite you in the butt.

I didn't think what I said was that difficult, I am sorry if it was.

I could use that exact phrase for you, but I am sure you would spin it since you can't admit when you got nailed for your BS.

P.S.- Remind me of where I said "those things" "rarely happen." Or should I just laugh at you resorting to lying to cover your butt?

Now I will sign off from discussing this with you, have your much needed last words of spin, anger and misdirection...clearly you need it more then I do.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
Sorryu, but the complete idiocy of this just demands a response.

Of course you don't...it's easier for you to do that rather then admit you are full of it. You made claims, got called on them, made new claims, got called on those and now have nowhere to go.

1) Mumbled? How can one mumble on the internet? I know all-caps is yelling, but what is mumbling? Oh, wait, I looked it up and that is when one types in all lower case letters. I guess this is supposed to be some sort of insult or attack meant to distract.

2) The thing about flats was an analogy. Sorry you haven't reached the point in your education where you learn about those. The analogy was to point out the idiocy of your claims (using the exact words you used).

3) Yes you did claim that...but in your words you said the broken blades happened "once in a while" which not be very often, thus people would not be examining them "often" like you claim your buddies do. Another case of spin.

4) It's funny how you had no problem with the analogy until your words came back to bite you in the butt.

I could use that exact phrase for you, but I am sure you would spin it since you can't admit when you got nailed for your BS.

P.S.- Remind me of where I said "those things" "rarely happen." Or should I just laugh at you resorting to lying to cover your butt?

Now I will sign off from discussing this with you, have your much needed last words of spin, anger and misdirection...clearly you need it more then I do.

I think you just can't read.

Also you exhibit p*** poor forum etiquette with the insulting language some folk like to resort to like "idiocy, idiot, moron, dumba**, lack of education blah blah blah". Leave the insulting personal attack banter in the trailer park please.

I clearly stated what needs to be in order for you to see what I said. Scroll up and READ my posts. Please respond back without belittling me, it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

BadHammy*

I won't get into the overall debate except to say that you need to remember all that goes into making these sticks in terms of pleasing customers.

Everyone wants a super light stick that never breaks and rockets pucks even from a 65 pound girl. Needless to say this alot to ask, composites of all kinds are wonderful materials but there is a limit as to what can be done.

I think that's very true. People, beginners and veteran players alike, both sometimes ask too much. They think that since they spent over $200 or however much, they should suddenly improve or the stick should do something special. Hey, it doesn't have a TV in it:sarcasm:! I think top end sticks really often disappoint people, the 2nd or 3 "best stick" on the market is often where it's at.

JSTAFF

Oct 5, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
After reading this thread im completely confused on what stick to buy. Throughout my hockey career I've always bought senior sticks and cut them down at least 4 inches. I'm more of a "its the man not the machine" type of guy but I was looking into buying a better stick. I am 5'7 160 pounds, but i'm scared to buy a intermediate stick because my upper body is very strong. Should I just man up and give the intermediate a try?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad