Prospect Info: Everything Swedish

Status
Not open for further replies.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I love having so many prospects in Sweden. Its like every other day we have random players playing against each other.

I'm glad to see them in the SHL as well. The bigger ice and better overall skating in the league is more beneficial to our skilled young guys than the slower, more grinding AHL play.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
To some extent his 5v5 line is getting PDOed I think.

You should take it with a grain of salt, but a few days ago Frölundas head coach said that, that line has the best underlying numbers in the SHL (thinking of expected goals% I think).
And that he expects them to take off any game now.

Visually they looked very good the other night, but has for the 3-4 games prior looked a bit out of sync.

The PP is too slow, I think they are trying to find the perfect play and are thinking too much.

Raymond's unit seems to only concentrate on the side where he is on the half wall. They don't run any plays from the other side and they blast way too many one-timer from long range with Norlinder. I'd like to see him and Stefan Elliot on the same unit.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
We could transfer some stats from Berggren to him. Raymond really has fine xGoals values, and Berggren has ben lucky as hell with his scoring.

Typically speaking, isn't a PPG of >=1.0 way more common in the NHL than the SHL?

In other words, isn't it unreasonable to expect a PPG of >=1.0 from ANY SHL player, nonetheless first/second year players?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Typically speaking, isn't a PPG of >=1.0 way more common in the NHL than the SHL?

In other words, isn't it unreasonable to expect a PPG of >=1.0 from ANY SHL player, nonetheless first/second year players?
Yup, 4 players were > 1 P/G last season and only 1 the prior season. (3 in 2017-18)
2019‑2020 SHL Scoring Leaders
2018‑2019 SHL Scoring Leaders

I've always noticed that Swedish forwards are much more defensively responsible than other leagues. Was really looking forward to see what Brome could do in the NHL, but I guess that isn't gonna happen at least until the SHL season is over.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
It appears to me that teams in the SHL dress 20 skaters, which is 2 more per game than in the NHL. And it looks like 13F and 7D is typical. This would help explain the lower ice time #'s in that league as would the non-existence of any TV timeouts. For example, Seider is playing 18:39/game, which by NHL standards would stand to be easily over 20.

Leksand has 2 forwards over 23/game and a 3rd forward over 21/game. Those totals seem ludicrous, but maybe they have played more OT than other teams to this point?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yeah, I'm quite sure that Berggren's rate is not gonna last because it's so extraordinary. He is doing good things, but some of them have been lucky touches on the puck. But a whole season ppg = 1.0 (with +40 games) would be phenomenal season still.

Usually, in Finnish league, the hot season starter gets called for National team to play on Euro Hockey Tour, and after that these guys are exhausted, and have to play against a league where almost all other did rest on the break. Many times the hot starter goes to struggle after this.

Berggren get called for Team Sweden on Euro Hockey Tour...

It's kind of unfair thing after you have some success. But at least he isn't getting anything easy.

Last edited:

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
It appears to me that teams in the SHL dress 20 skaters, which is 2 more per game than in the NHL. And it looks like 13F and 7D is typical. This would help explain the lower ice time #'s in that league as would the non-existence of any TV timeouts. For example, Seider is playing 18:39/game, which by NHL standards would stand to be easily over 20.

Leksand has 2 forwards over 23/game and a 3rd forward over 21/game. Those totals seem ludicrous, but maybe they have played more OT than other teams to this point?

13F 7D and only one TV-timeout is probably a reason for lower numbers.
There's also a lot more skating in the SHL than what you would see on NA ice, both due to the larger ice-surface and due to the high pressure system most teams keep.

Regarding Leksand... I don't think they have played more OT than others... they are just riding their stars extremely heavy. And we will most likely see the effects of that as the season goes along.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Tomorrow's games.

Oct. 27 19:00 Färjestad Rögle
Albert Johansson vs. Mo Seider

Oct. 27 19:00 Malmö Skellefteå
Joe Veleno vs. Jonattan Berggren
The scheduling is a little annoying in SHL, wish they spread out games more but they want these "hockey nights" where a lot of games are going on.
1 line team as far as I can tell, most teams have their talent a little more spread out.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yeah, I'm quite sure that Berggren's rate is not gonna last because it's so extraordinary. He is doing good things, but some of them have been lucky touches on the puck. But a whole season ppg = 1.0 (with +40 games) would be phenomenal season still.

Usually, in Finnish league, the hot season starter gets called for National team to play on Euro Hockey Tour, and after that these guys are exhausted, and have to play against a league where almost all other did rest on the break. Many times the hot starter goes to struggle after this.

Berggren get called for Team Sweden on Euro Hockey Tour...

It's kind of unfair thing after you have some success. But at least he isn't getting anything easy.
I think it's nothing but a positive for his development. National team is higher competition than SHL and will be another indication about what we really have in him.

Reactions: r0bert8841

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
I think it's nothing but a positive for his development. National team is higher competition than SHL and will be another indication about what we really have in him.
Agreed. Besides it’s not like he is playing that much to begin with so hopefully he won’t be too exhausted.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Would really like to see some numbers on the scoresheet from Raymond. Been a while.

Prior to the draft I had concerns about his offense but was told he plays in a stacked lineup and wasn't getting enough chances. I have't followed what's going on this season but I hope my concerns with his offensive game are not correct. He seems like he has great hands and is definitely talented, but we'll see I guess.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Prior to the draft I had concerns about his offense but was told he plays in a stacked lineup and wasn't getting enough chances. I have't followed what's going on this season but I hope my concerns with his offensive game are not correct. He seems like he has great hands and is definitely talented, but we'll see I guess.

He doesn’t attack with his feet the same way he does in the junior leagues. He’s a lot more conservative in all parts of his game.

He needs to get much stronger and faster. If he does, he’ll be a very good player.

Reactions: Stony Curtis

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
I'm not smart enough to figure out how to stream entire games, so I have to rely on highlights and word of mouth from those who do get to watch him. Highlights aren't the best way to evaluate, but I can say that some of the plays he makes are pretty high end. The other day he made a couple of really nice passes. Puck comes to him in the corner, and he immediately turns and throws a cross ice pass through a couple guys right to the tape of a teammate. Easy goal. The best thing is it's not an anomoly. There aren't a lot of guys who can make that play regularly, but he seems to be able to.

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
I'm not smart enough to figure out how to stream entire games, so I have to rely on highlights and word of mouth from those who do get to watch him. Highlights aren't the best way to evaluate, but I can say that some of the plays he makes are pretty high end. The other day he made a couple of really nice passes. Puck comes to him in the corner, and he immediately turns and throws a cross ice pass through a couple guys right to the tape of a teammate. Easy goal. The best thing is it's not an anomoly. There aren't a lot of guys who can make that play regularly, but he seems to be able to.
upload_2020-10-27_12-36-52.png

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Rögle scoring... already 0-3... no points for Seider and other defencemen on the ice than Albert Johansson, when Färjestad is conceding goals. But he had that mistake which did lead to PS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad