Prospect Info: Everything Finnish

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Little update on Tuomisto, he's listed on Denver's website as 6-5/205 lbs now. Excited to see how well he'll do this season.

FWIW DU's conference has an interesting bubble schedule that starts next Wednesday in Omaha. Between December 2nd and 20th DU will play 10 games, including two games against both UMD and North Dakota. I am not sure what the national TV schedule looks like for these bubble games. The conference has a super over priced streaming services I know.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I think Viro has pro potential, he just needs to continue gaining weight and getting stronger. Could see him being a solid depth guy.

From what I've seen and read his skating is his best asset but not much else yet. The Finnish Nick Jensen? I'd really like to see this kid add another dimension to his game.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
From what I've seen and read his skating is his best asset but not much else yet. The Finnish Nick Jensen? I'd really like to see this kid add another dimension to his game.

You can do a lot worse than focusing on skating talent in the mid to late rounds. And yes, I do agree that he needs to continue to add different layers to his game, but that is true of just about all mid-round picks.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Well, since this is everything Finnish, how are the prospects doing this year in the league?

- Kivenmäki, doing good, think he is doing above expectataions. Great rebound after that horrible-looking injury at last season.

- Kotkansalo, very meh. He is somewhat praised of his defence, but he is just too much on the ice, when scored against (+7 -15 = -8). Ässät tweaked those D-pairings, so let's look another 10 games, if there's a change. It's still NHL-level Borgman, who is carrying the heaviest matchups, even though Kotkansalo is logging big minutes.

- Brattström, not looking good lately. Started better in the season.

- Viro, haven't seen him a lot. Was 3rd pair LD and now Bohm out, was promoted to Top4. Seems to be solid, not hurting his team anyhow, or looking like a struggling 18-year-old. It's very rare that 18-year olds Liiga-kids play this well at defence against men. (TPS +39 -42 in team goals, Viro +11 -8 = +3)

Denver-guys should inform about Tuomisto....

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Viro and Kivenmäki has scored today.

Saarijärvi has looked horrible as net-front plays, lost battles and Tappara scored 3 times.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Viro and Kivenmäki has scored today.

Saarijärvi has looked horrible as net-front plays, lost battles and Tappara scored 3 times.
How was Kotkansalo? He had by far the highest ice time in the game, 26:07.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
How was Kotkansalo? He had by far the highest ice time in the game, 26:07.

Insane game. Kotkansalo was +1, think he was okay.

But Ässät did lead 4-1, then Jukurit equalized at 3rd period for 4-4. Ässät took 5-4 lead again short-handed, but Jukurit equalized 5-5 and did win 5-6 at overtime.

Ässät biggest problem this season has been defensive depth, outside of Kotkansalo and Andreas Borgman.

Reactions: ChadS

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Kotkansalo scored his first goal of the season. Only goal for Ässät today, who lost 4-1 for TPS. Played team-high 24 minutes. 5 shots also.

Poor game from Kivenmäki. No points and -1.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Liiga shutting down Dec. 3 - Dec. 19... So Viro, Kivenmaki, Kotkansalo & Brattstrom are done for a while

Good News is Viro is likely headed to the world juniors/camp so he should be ok

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
The first 10 minutes of this is about Eemil Viro, they had him mic'd up for a game. It's obviously in Finnish but some of the on-ice talk is English since his d partner is a Swede. He also talks about how it's been good that the Wings development staff are very active, he's also spoken to the skating and strength coaches about training.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Might not be a good move by them. That is a very small defense group.

Don't see it being very small. There's no single 5'10 style of guy.

Kokkonen 6'0 - Heinola 6'0
Viro 6'0 - Rafkin 6'0
Hatakka 6'1 - Niemelä 6'0
Rajaniemi 6'4 - Pulli 6'6

It could be average size at Top6, but not "very small". Kokkonen has been matured man from 16-year old, he is big stud there.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00