Even NFL coaches have guaranteed portions of contract (Gruden resignation after emails exposed)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Report: Jon Gruden considers suing NFL, Roger Goodell

Former Raiders coach Jon Gruden has resolved his differences with Mark Davis. Now, Gruden could be aiming higher. Gruden is currently mulling his legal options...

Unless he signed release that prevents him from doing so when he came to settlement with Raiders.

I imagine he doesn't, given he was a contracted employee of LV and they were the ones paying him.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Gruden refutes NFL in opposing dismissal of lawsuit

Paywall. Further blowback from Gruden on firing/forced resignation. He makes point that Goodell would have absolute power to limit scope/direction of arbitration if suit not allowed to go forward in court. Also contends he is not subject to NFL constitution as he's no longer an employee of league team.

And
In the documents, the NFL’s lawyers wrote that the league has “an existing right to cancel Gruden’s contract and that they — along with society at large — have an unequivocal interest in rooting racism, sexism and homophobia out of professional football.”
Gruden, in Friday’s court filings, disputed the statement, referencing former Miami Dolphins coach Brian Flores’ lawsuit from February alleging racism in the NFL’s hiring practices.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Dismissal motion denied. (Continuing to settlement or trial)

I'd almost bet my life savings on there being a settlement. NFL does not want anything potentially damaging to go public and they don't want any leaks or bad PR.

Its much easier for them to cut him a check for whatever amount he wants.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

New report claims Gruden sent derogatory emails while he was Raiders coach.
How would the nfl get their hands on those emails? Gruden would have a Raiders email account not an NFL one unless he’s sending message to someone in the nfl office or a message he sent was forwarded onto someone in the nfl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad