Evander Kane

HemskyToHall*

IMO no, Tavares and Duchene are just better and Hedman will take a while to develop.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
i honestly think so, however in the end the 3 drafted before might have better overall careers

drafting him was a huge turning point in the franchise

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I keep seeing Evander Kane....power forward?

Where? I don't ever see him being that physical even if he does occasionally score his goals from driving to the net.

Good stats this season though, should get 25+ goals I think.

Colton2233

Mar 28, 2008
Needs to add more weight and fill out. Great speed, 30g a season kinda guy for sure.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I keep seeing Evander Kane....power forward?

Where? I don't ever see him being that physical even if he does occasionally score his goals from driving to the net.

Good stats this season though, should get 25+ goals I think.

how is he not a power forward?

plays physical, hits, plays best in the corners and along the boards, just as likely to drive through someone as he is to go around them. good in both ends. he's pretty much the definition of power forward.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Nope, at least right now he isn't. Tavares has nobody to play with, and you can put any 2009 draft eligible kid in Tavares shoes and they would not have more than 10 points. Duchane is a very good 2 way player that should end up with 60+ points this year. Hedman will take some time to develop but he is having a pretty decent season, and within the next couple of years he should be an elite defenseman.

Kane is a very good player, I love his game. I could see him being a 40 goal ppg player in his future, but it will take some time as most power forwards do, but he should get there.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I wouldn't take Kane over Tavares or Duchene, to me they are just significantly more skilled when you actually watch them play (Tavares with his awesome hands, Duchene with his awesome skating). Hedman, maybe, hard to say, dmen can take a long time to develop, ESPECIALLY the big ones. I've never been that high on Hedman, but I think I might be a bit biased against him because the first time I really paid attention to him was in the 2009 WJCs, where he was not 100% healthy and looked pretty terrible. He's got real good skating/offensive skills FOR HIS SIZE, but compared to other young dmen like Subban he's not in the same league. He's huge, but not that physical, and to me if you're big you gotta use that size to dominate and destroy guys. If he can add a nastier, more physical element to his game as he ages and puts on the muscle then he could definitely be a franchise dman, but I'm still not 100% sold.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
For me, personally, I would not be surprised if Kane ends up being the best forward taken in the first round. Then again, there's an outside chance the same could be said about MPS.

If I had to re-do the top 4, not factoring in team needs, it would probably be the following:

1) Hedman
2) Duchene
3) Tavares
4) Kane

But I think any of those 4 have a legitimate chance of being the best player taken in the draft. Although Tavares & Duchene were considered the consensus top 2 forwards in the draft, the gap between them & Kane is a lot smaller than most people think of give Kane credit for.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
For me, personally, I would not be surprised if Kane ends up being the best forward taken in the first round. Then again, there's an outside chance the same could be said about MPS.

If I had to re-do the top 4, not factoring in team needs, it would probably be the following:

1) Hedman
2) Duchene
3) Tavares
4) Kane

But I think any of those 4 have a legitimate chance of being the best player taken in the draft. Although Tavares & Duchene were considered the consensus top 2 forwards in the draft, the gap between them & Kane is a lot smaller than most people think of give Kane credit for.

What has hedman done to warrant being no.1? To me it's clearly:

1.Tavares/Duchene
2.Tavares/Duchene
3.Hedman
4.Kane

HFKessSnipes*

Is Tavares already being pushed down a tier?

People will regret this, just like they did with Stamkos.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I think so, Kane has improved a lot from last season and he's very dangerous on the ice, if he keeps progressing... he could be next iginla

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Duchene will be the best out of that class.

Kane is after. People are selling him short. Once he fills his frame he is going to be a beast.

member 30781

Right now:
1. Matt Duchene
2. John Tavares
3. Evander Kane

Over their careers:
1. John Tavares
2. Matt Duchene
3. Evander Kane

hdtrax

Not quite at their level but a very good prospect nonetheless. Like it's been said he's a capable 30 goal scorer. To me, it was always a toss-up between B. Schenn and Evander. Both will be very, very good but not quite to the level of the top 3.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Not quite at their level but a very good prospect nonetheless. Like it's been said he's a capable 30 goal scorer. To me, it was always a toss-up between B. Schenn and Evander. Both will be very, very good but not quite to the level of the top 3.

i'd think kane is more likely to be a mega star than schenn.

they're both good, but i think kane will be more of a game breaker.

Telfo

THRASHERS(and Golden Knights too)
Oct 31, 2008
Atlanta, GA
they all seem pretty equal at this point. who knows career-wise.

Kane got limited ice time last year compared to Duchene and Tavares so its hard to compare the rookie years

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
i'd think kane is more likely to be a mega star than schenn.

they're both good, but i think kane will be more of a game breaker.

I've been saying for a while now that Schenn is over-rated and would go more than a few spots back in the draft if it were re-done. He still has a chance to be a great player, but he's been underwhelming, given his draft position, compared to some of the other players in his draft class.

The top 4 would likely stay the top 4, in whatever order, and I think OEL, Kadri & MPS would all go ahead of Schenn.

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
BTW, Darren Eliot said that Kane was playing "dinged up" for the past few weeks so his +/- and his scoring potential went down a notch. Looked really solid in the past few games. I'd like to see him get more assists, but he's being used a finisher.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I've been saying for a while now that Schenn is over-rated and would go more than a few spots back in the draft if it were re-done. He still has a chance to be a great player, but he's been underwhelming, given his draft position, compared to some of the other players in his draft class.

The top 4 would likely stay the top 4, in whatever order, and I think OEL, Kadri & MPS would all go ahead of Schenn.

:facepalm:

If I had a choice between Kadri, OEL and Schenn I would pick Schenn (and look at my avatar).

Schenn has been underwhelming because of the lack of minutes. In his 8 games, he played a rough average of 11 min a night, usually as a 4th liner with spot shifts up.

There was no point going back to junior. He would easily top 100 points, but it wouldnt do anything for him. Defensively he gets it, position wise he gets it, physically he is ready. Those are the three main reasons you send a player back to junior. Thus, hes in a tough spot. Hes just really unfortunate to be on a very strong team right now. If he was in TO, hed be our 2nd line centre presently

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad