The Players' Tribune: Evander Kane

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
He thinks the promotion of personalities is why the NHL trails the NBA, NFL and MLB in revenue? Herp derp

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
He was also in his early 20's while those guys were a bit older. I think with time comes maturity. That said, he definitely was an issue there and he still has work to do to clean up his image.
Yeah, he seems like he may finally be getting there and that's fine by me. I don't like the Sharks, but I do hope that Kane continues to make the fans happy. I don't cheer for people to fail.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
He forgot to mention walking out of his tab and being rude to fans; I've seen this multiple times and the only times he'll be nice at are events. I've heard too many stories on the guy to the point I'll never think highly of him. I saw him once at The Keg on Portage and he asked for a new waitress then walked out, this was during the time all that controversy was surrounding him. I mean good for him for making money from a family with not a lot of money; mind you Vancouver isn't a cheap place to live as I once lived there myself as a kid, his family might have been able to afford to live in Winnipeg.

Reactions: Turin

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
He forgot to mention walking out of his tab and being rude to fans; I've seen this multiple times and the only times he'll be nice at are events. I've heard too many stories on the guy to the point I'll never think highly of him. I saw him once at The Keg on Portage and he asked for a new waitress then walked out, this was during the time all that controversy was surrounding him. I mean good for him for making money from a family with not a lot of money; mind you Vancouver isn't a cheap place to live as I once lived there myself as a kid, his family might have been able to afford to live in Winnipeg.

The walking out on his tab claims were shown to have no merit, and being rude to fans outside events should probably be taken with a grain of salt no matter how good your "sources" are. If you were a star player in a reestablished hockey crazed market, perhaps you'd be rude the 30th time someone wanted to take a selfie with you in the bathroom or out on a date or even just parking your car.

I dont know Kane as a person, and he can be the self centered jerk that ever lived for all I care, just put in an honest effort at work, play nice with the kids in the hospital when you're there, and keep your name out of the papers for stupid reasons. If he wanted to burn stacks of $100 bills on his Instagram, no one should be still this upset about it this many years later. You dont like his personality, dont subscribe to his social media profiles.

This idea that people need to be what the fans expect all the time is so out of touch. No ones forcing anyone to look at his pictures or read his posts, if hes a shitty human being who cares. All this outrage over stupid pictures and a sign someone brought to a game is nothing more than topics that people use because they want to be outraged.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Also, he's 100000000% correct in his viewpoint about the NHL/NBA and how they embrace personalities. I've been saying it for a while, but for the league to grow their sport, they HAVE to get behind their athletes and their personalities. These are cool/interesting guys, and it would be awesome for the casual fan to learn more about them through various platforms of social media.

In the end it comes down to the fans, the consumers. Some want more personality, many don't. It seems like part of the fabric of hockey at this point.

Also, the "personality" thing is very generic. He has every right to display his wealth in any way he wants. The negative feedback on that one was mostly from fans. So I'm not sure what he wants, more people to think it or he is funny?

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Why are fans so wound up about what his "personality" is and have such a strong opinion about it? It's good for him he's out of these small cities that are way to focused on this stuff. I predict he'll continue to thrive in San Jose.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The walking out on his tab claims were shown to have no merit, and being rude to fans outside events should probably be taken with a grain of salt no matter how good your "sources" are. If you were a star player in a reestablished hockey crazed market, perhaps you'd be rude the 30th time someone wanted to take a selfie with you in the bathroom or out on a date or even just parking your car.

I dont know Kane as a person, and he can be the self centered jerk that ever lived for all I care, just put in an honest effort at work, play nice with the kids in the hospital when you're there, and keep your name out of the papers for stupid reasons. If he wanted to burn stacks of $100 bills on his Instagram, no one should be still this upset about it this many years later. You dont like his personality, dont subscribe to his social media profiles.

This idea that people need to be what the fans expect all the time is so out of touch. No ones forcing anyone to look at his pictures or read his posts, if hes a ****ty human being who cares. All this outrage over stupid pictures and a sign someone brought to a game is nothing more than topics that people use because they want to be outraged.

Were shown to have no merit? You realize Winnipeg is a small city with a handful of places worth going to, right? It’s easy to personally know multiple people with bad experiences with him. I do.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I'm surprised how much of that is about Winnipeg and how little of that is about Buffalo. It's been awhile.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Honestly, I didn't care about the money picture at all. I thought for sure it was a bit immature, but who hasn't celebrated immaturely? So I have no qualms with it.

I do completely disagree with his comparison to the NBA. Do you know why personality is flaunted so much in the NBA? Because it's not a team game. One guy can win a game with trivial pieces in front of him. I know i'm biased because I detest the sport to begin with, but to me hockey is a culture and a way of life. The NBA is far from that. It's a completely different reputation and one I don't jive with at all. The last thing I want is the NHL to be the NBA.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Man...

I totally get it....especially as a minority who played hockey for the majority of my life. Even as a caps fan, there was something awesome about seeing a faces that looked like mine on the Thrashers roster. If the Caps didn't do well, I wanted Atlanta to be the next team up. It's a shame that things didn't work out for that franchise and the city. Had they been successful AND had those same minority faces on the roster, there is zero doubt in my mind the city would have embraced the sport.

Also, he's 100000000% correct in his viewpoint about the NHL/NBA and how they embrace personalities. I've been saying it for a while, but for the league to grow their sport, they HAVE to get behind their athletes and their personalities. These are cool/interesting guys, and it would be awesome for the casual fan to learn more about them through various platforms of social media.

You can learn plenty about players without them holding stacks of cash for social media.

A lot of players are getting involved with social media which is a nice way for younger fans to connect and learn about their favorite players. The professionalism of hockey players is something to admire in my opinion.

ReggietheSavage15

Feb 27, 2008
You can learn plenty about players without them holding stacks of cash for social media.

A lot of players are getting involved with social media which is a nice way for younger fans to connect and learn about their favorite players. The professionalism of hockey players is something to admire in my opinion.

It wasn't meant to be taken seriously. It's no different than an athlete flaunting a Lambo/Ferrari/exotic that they just bought saying "blessed" or something else along those lines.

There is an underlying racial issue with the pic and the backlash it received.

paragon

May 5, 2010
It wasn't meant to be taken seriously. It's no different than an athlete flaunting a Lambo/Ferrari/exotic that they just bought saying "blessed" or something else along those lines.

There is an underlying racial issue with the pic and the backlash it received.
Only underlying racial issue with the pic and the backlash is the victim mongering. I guess you don't remember the reaction Ovechkin had for his hot stick. The backlash to all those money pictures would have been the same even if it had been Crosby.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
He obviously had massive problems within the dressing room in Winnipeg, and his public issues were always being talked about. Any team in the NHL loved the idea of a fast, 30-goal power forward, which is what the Jets thought they had with Kane. The fact that he didn't last in Winnipeg or Buffalo says a lot about him. He thinks he's bigger than the team. In the NHL, that attitude never works. I think the Sharks will eventually regret their decision.
Has always been a jerk, but seems ready to grow up?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad