The Players' Tribune: Evander Kane

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I sort of thought I’d get to San Jose, walk down the streets in shorts every day and nobody would recognize me … but this city isn’t just a Sharks town — it’s a hockey town with a bunch of hockey nuts.

So, JT confirmed not going to SJ. cool.

Reactions: BeSeeingYouSeattle

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Great read. Gives more insight to who he is, considering the media game for players is usually a one way street.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
So, he was excited to go to the Jets, but asked for a trade after literally every season (even the first?) because he "plays to win"?

Uh-huh.

The issues in WPG went well beyond people throwing shade because of Instagram flash, as anybody with an aversion to sticking their heads in the sand understands. Something about ignoring team policy, skipping practice, and assault charges.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I was really hoping to hear what happened behind the scenes in Byfuglien-tracksuit-showergate

nothing_to_see_here_naked_gun.gif

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
The San Jose stuff is obviously new but everything else he's basically regurgitated in various other interviews. While with Buffalo he said it felt like he "Wasn't wanted around" while in Winnipeg and Atlanta. Now he's saying the same thing about Buffalo. Well Evander, no one in Buffalo had a problem with you until you started choking women at bars. And his teammates didn't seem to have much of a problem with him at all other than the one incident with Falk. In fact he seemed to have a pretty good relationship with most of his teammates. Now suddenly he didn't "feel wanted". He comes off very much like someone who has to make up reasons as to why things didn't work out in relationships to justify the split. Probably why he's gone through so many girlfriends in the past few years and why a few women have taken to social media to call him emotionally abusive.

Just another case of Evander Kane not being what's wrong with Evander Kane.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
lol I'm sure Winnipeg fans have a thing or two (or twenty) to say about his take on his time there.

Reactions: purdy44

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It takes an interesting person to complain about not “being wanted” while at the same time admitting to asking for a trade at the end of every season. Who didn’t want whom?

There's also the small matter of Kane regularly either directly or indirectly suggesting that race and personality were a big part of his issues, particularly in WPG...both of which ring hollow when you consider how totally the community has embraced Byfuglien, who ended up being the one to figuratively throw Kane out on his ass.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
He obviously had massive problems within the dressing room in Winnipeg, and his public issues were always being talked about. Any team in the NHL loved the idea of a fast, 30-goal power forward, which is what the Jets thought they had with Kane. The fact that he didn't last in Winnipeg or Buffalo says a lot about him. He thinks he's bigger than the team. In the NHL, that attitude never works. I think the Sharks will eventually regret their decision.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Why does hockey culture shun people for embracing the entertainment side of the game? I think it’s an ingrained idea that players who show personality — who show some flair — are somehow selfish or a distraction to their team. I’m not playing the victim card here — I know the repercussions of posting a photo with a stack of money in your hand. But look at the NBA. Look at how that league promotes its players and their individuality. It’s not considered selfish, and it’s not frowned upon.

He isn't wrong.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
lol I'm sure Winnipeg fans have a thing or two (or twenty) to say about his take on his time there.
Not really. Always worked his a** off in games. Lots of rumors he was an a-hole off the ice while he was here but there is nothing illegal about that. Rumors he wasn’t well liked in the locker room, but no way to confirm or refute them.

Contrary to what Kane has suggested previously the team and Winnipeg media always went to bat for him when rumors were making the rounds. Eg, when he was accused of skipping out on restaurant bills the Jets requested Winnipeg Free press reports (at the time) Gary Lawless look into it which he did and reported they were false. Again not just "can’t be confirmed" he reported they were outright false.

Reactions: uncleben

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
So, he was excited to go to the Jets, but asked for a trade after literally every season (even the first?) because he "plays to win"?

Uh-huh.

The issues in WPG went well beyond people throwing shade because of Instagram flash, as anybody with an aversion to sticking their heads in the sand understands. Something about ignoring team policy, skipping practice, and assault charges.

People will look for every excuse to confirm their biases, even when presented with evidence to the contrary they will become more steadfast. Kane wasn’t eccentric, in Winnipeg he was loathed by everyone he met in a city that wanted nothing more than to love him.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

This jet fans says. who cares what Kane has to say. He is water on the bridge that is long gone. Hope he has success in SJ but am still extremely glad he does not play in Winnipeg.

Reactions: Fixxer

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I can read the posts on this board and instantly empathize with how he felt unwanted in Winnipeg. A lot of this feels intensely personal in an unhealthy way to interact with your entertainment mediums.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad