Player Discussion Evander Kane - What's the verdict?

What do you think about Evander Kane?

• Total voters

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I don't care if you think I'm a conspiracy theorist or not but the NHL is 100% biased against the Oilers the long list of rule changes, a new interpretation of rules, and the new CBA rule that screws Oilers if Keith retires. How they delayed Kane's investigation by the league knowing he was interested in signing in Edmonton during the season, and the latest delay by an arbitrator. Bettman can f right off IMO and it will be a great day when he is done in this league

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I don't care if you think I'm a conspiracy theorist or not but the NHL is 100% biased against the Oilers the long list of rule changes, a new interpretation of rules, and the new CBA rule that screws Oilers if Keith retires. How they delayed Kane's investigation by the league knowing he was interested in signing in Edmonton during the season, and the latest delay by an arbitrator. Bettman can f right off IMO and it will be a great day when he is done in this league
Bettman saved the franchise.

• Haha
Reactions: MessierII

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
What does the league gain by holding off Edm? Or especially McDavid?

Funny enough if you visit other team sites, you see the same laundry list of complaints. The refs target us cuz Bettman hates this city/team. The league is out to get us, etc, etc

It's a universal argument at this point

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
What does the league gain by holding off Edm? Or especially McDavid?

Funny enough if you visit other team sites, you see the same laundry list of complaints. The refs target us cuz Bettman hates this city/team. The league is out to get us, etc, etc

It's a universal argument at this point
To be fair to the OP it does seem that the league does like to do things that hinder the oilers quite a bit. Pro rating Neal’s goals so that the flames got a third round pick comes to mind. As does scrapping the rules on compensation for fired GMs and coaches after the oilers had to give up their picks.

Reactions: oilers'72

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
To be fair to the OP it does seem that the league does like to do things that hinder the oilers quite a bit. Pro rating Neal’s goals so that the flames got a third round pick comes to mind. As does scrapping the rules on compensation for fired GMs and coaches after the oilers had to give up their picks.
There have always been franchises that got breaks from the League. I doubt that there is a "make the Oilers pay" agenda at play, but there is little doubt that certain owners/managers have always had more sway. I am not sure why, but I get the sense that amongst Western Canadian Teams, the Flames ownership group has recently had the ear of the League to a greater degree than for teams like the Oilers and the Jets.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
There have always been franchises that got breaks from the League. I doubt that there is a "make the Oilers pay" agenda at play, but there is little doubt that certain owners/managers have always had more sway. I am not sure why, but I get the sense that amongst Western Canadian Teams, the Flames ownership group has recently had the ear of the League to a greater degree than for teams like the Oilers and the Jets.

This. There is no conspiracy specifically targeting the Oilers, but like anything there are certain teams that are league favorites for one reason or another and others that aren't and decisions related to these teams reflect that whether it was intentional by the league or not. At this point it is pretty apparent that the Oilers are not a league favorite from any perspective.

Reactions: oilers'72

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Bettman saved the franchise.
This is actually true. I don't think it was some sort of altruistic move though but more of a smart business decision. The Oilers were a canary in the coal mind. Had they died it is conceivable that you would have ended up with two Canadian teams. And even the mighty Habs were vulnerable to the same forces that were endangering the Oilers back then. Losing two or more Canadian teams would have had a big impact on League stability and hence on franchise values.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Bettman needs the stable revenue source shitty Canadian teams bring in so southern teams that give away 2 for 1 tickets with a free beer an d hot dog promos just to get asses in the seats can make a go of it through revenue sharing.
When bettman went to bat Edmonton and the ownership group EIG, most Canadian teams were non-profitable due to an abysmal canadian dollar. The NHL BoG at the time would have much preferred the Oilers land in Houston as opposed to wallowing for the next decade while leeching out of the NHL assistance program(especially the flames who wanted an expanded market as the Alberta Flames)

As Fourier pointed out, even montreal struggled. Had to be bought by an american businessman to keep it stable leading up to the 2005 lockout.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Trading with San Jose and them honoring the 7M x 3 years and retaining 50% is a very good option. 3 years is perfect for the Oilers and Kane as both sides don't want to commit long term.

Kane 3.5M(50% of 7M)

for

Barrie 4.5M
Don't they already have Burns and Karlsson eating $20million cap on their right side?

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Evander Kane is the dream winger for McDavid or Draisaitl. Holland has to figure out a way to sign him.

There's just nobody like him. The guy is a bully (elite fighter) with insurmountable speed, skill, power and swagger. Sign the man, there's a reason why 2 of the best players on the planet couldn't stop talking about him in their exit interviews.

Last edited:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Evander Kane is the dream winger for McDavid or Draisaitl. Holland has to figure out a way to sign him.

There's just nobody like him. The guy is a bully (elite fighter) with insurmountable speed, skill, power and swagger. Sign the man, there's a reason why 2 of the best players on the planet couldn't stop talking about him in their exit interviews.

EDM def needs him. He was the complete package and was 100% what the team had been missing for years. But if he walks he walks. Not much you can do. I expect the Oil to take a step back next season if they can't. And I can't see them replacing him with anyone better, especially with the cap hell they are under. lol. Woof.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
EDM def needs him. He was the complete package and was 100% what the team had been missing for years. But if he walks he walks. Not much you can do. I expect the Oil to take a step back next season if they can't. And I can't see them replacing him with anyone better, especially with the cap hell they are under. lol. Woof.

It'll be major blow, but the team can shore up on defense and goaltending and win lower scoring games. Not sure where they'll be able to get the bite and gamesmanship though.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This. There is no conspiracy specifically targeting the Oilers, but like anything there are certain teams that are league favorites for one reason or another and others that aren't and decisions related to these teams reflect that whether it was intentional by the league or not. At this point it is pretty apparent that the Oilers are not a league favorite from any perspective.
Lou Lamoriello and Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs are 2 examples of individuals who seem to get extra compliance from the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad