Evander Kane suspended for 21 games over Covid19 protocol violation

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I will agree that Kane has not been a positive aspect in the locker room.

Without strong leaders like Jumbo around, he has not been held accountable as much (my assumption based on news reports, how I have observed the team to interact in the past).

Adding Bonino and Cogliano should help with locker room veteran leadership. (Couture seems to have lost some of his confidence as captain without support from Jumbo and Patty and having to deal with all the injuries he's gone through in recent seasons.)

I cannot see the team willing to subject their prospects in the AHL with his presence, even if it does result in $1m cap relief. (IOW, I don't think they have enough veteran leadership in the AHL to "handle" Kane.)

His personality seems to be such that no one can get through to him. They should throw him out on his tuchus and be done with him. His .75 points a game and -20 rating each season aren't worth $7M, and that's on Wilson. He has options, he needs to use them.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Why on earth would you give him signing bonus money, is my question. The 7 year deal is bad enough but making it buyout proof is ridiculous.

Reactions: CrazyEddie20

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Why on earth would you give him signing bonus money, is my question. The 7 year deal is bad enough but making it buyout proof is ridiculous.

I wouldn't call the contract buyout proof. Only $4m of the future $19m is in signing bonuses. Net impact of ~$1.33m on the total buyout cap hits vs if there were no signing bonuses.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
There are reports from within the NFL that more than 1 in 10 players there may be using falsified vaccination documents, the situation is likely to be broadly similar in the NHL as well. There should be a thorough review and all violators should be banned indefinitely.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
There are reports from within the NFL that more than 1 in 10 players there may be using falsified vaccination documents, the situation is likely to be broadly similar in the NHL as well. There should be a thorough review and all violators should be banned indefinitely.

That would be really stupid.

For starters, there's a database they can check. For another thing, it's a federal offense w/ possible jail time.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
The level of stupidity of this is astounding. What did Kane think, that the Canadian government would just not notice?

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY

Could you provide a source? Most of the NFL was vaccinated right at the site of their mini camps and OTAs. I just highly doubt the made up number you said, is true.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Kane suspended 21 games for Sharks, violated NHL COVID-19 protocol

Full NHL announcement.

Sharks statement:
"The NHL has advised our organization that Evander Kane has been suspended without pay for 21 games for an established violation of, and lack of compliance with, the NHL/NHLPA COVID-19 Protocols," the Sharks said in a statement Monday. "While we are encouraged by Evander's commitment to moving forward, we are extremely disappointed by his disregard for the health and safety protocols put in place by the NHL and the NHLPA. We will not be commenting further on Evander's status prior to the conclusion of the NHL's mandated suspension."

Kane statement:
"I would like to apologize to my teammates, the San Jose Sharks organization, and all Sharks fans for violating the NHL COVID protocols," Kane said in a statement. "I made a mistake, one I sincerely regret and take responsibility for. During my suspension, I will continue to participate in counseling to help me make better decisions in the future. When my suspension is over, I plan to return to the ice with great effort, determination, and love for the game of hockey"

And the NHL announced that domestic abuse allegations could not be substantiated.

Out until November 30

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I wonder what you have to do to actually get your contract terminated in the NHL. Kill a teammate?

I guess that this will help Kane maintain that his contract should not be considered an asset in his bankruptcy proceedings.

jonathan613

Aug 6, 2018
I guess players contracts do not have morals clauses? is it possible san jose will wait till after the suspension (since he will not be paid during this time) before letting him go or have they decided they will still be playing him afterward?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I guess players contracts do not have morals clauses? is it possible san jose will wait till after the suspension (since he will not be paid during this time) before letting him go or have they decided they will still be playing him afterward?

Sharks have made their statement and nothing more until after the end of the suspension.

They could be shopping him for a trade. They could be consulting lawyers to see their options of terminating contract unilaterally. They could be planning on demoting him to AHL for a conditioning loan (starting in late November) and them return him to NHL roster..

We do not know. We don't know their plans.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
So would this be good grounds for voiding his contract? I'm sure it would be litigated...

But assuming he did use a fake vaccine card, that's a felony and he put people in his organization at risk.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Now that the NHL has completed its investigation, the county DA (or US AG as it's a federal crime, right?) may be requesting their detailed findings to do a criminal investigation. :dunno:

That's a whole other thing.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Forbes with the legalese of why the Sharks cannot cancel contract over fake vax card. Good reading.
It's interesting stuff, although I would suggest the writing is a bit too definitive. Stating definitively, as the writer does, that Kane's actions don't run afoul of the morals clause ignores the unique situation of offering up a fraudulent document during a global pandemic: if ever there was a time to argue for a strong condemnation of what would otherwise be a minor offense, this might be it. I assume that the Sharks would have to pull the pin and then defend their decision in front of an arbitrator, where they could lose, so it wouldn't be a decision without risk. But surely there's an argument to be made, no?

Reactions: Pandemonia

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

Wouldn't an antibody test reveal if someone was vaccinated or infected at some point? Periodic antibody tests are or at least were standard as part of COVID protocols.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It's interesting stuff, although I would suggest the writing is a bit too definitive. Stating definitively, as the writer does, that Kane's actions don't run afoul of the morals clause ignores the unique situation of offering up a fraudulent document during a global pandemic: if ever there was a time to argue for a strong condemnation of what would otherwise be a minor offense, this might be it. I assume that the Sharks would have to pull the pin and then defend their decision in front of an arbitrator, where they could lose, so it wouldn't be a decision without risk. But surely there's an argument to be made, no?

A 21 game suspension by the league is a rather strong condemnation. I agree with Macramalla it would be difficult to impossible for the Sharks to terminate Kane's contract for this.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
A 21 game suspension by the league is a rather strong condemnation. I agree with Macramalla it would be difficult to impossible for the Sharks to terminate Kane's contract for this.
The Kings tried to terminate Mike Richards deal and it ended up in arbitration and a resolution was agreed upon with LA still taking dead cap hit for it. so definitely unlikely for SJ to get out of the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00