LeBrun: Evander Kane close to signing, will happen by the weekend per his agent (EDM, FLA, TB top 3 choices)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spot

Aug 26, 2007
Kane scores at a 50 goal pace on MacDavid’s wing, easily and adds depth to a paper thin roster. I’d take a chance on him in a heartbeat. It’s not like Edmonton’s locker room could get worse.

Not to mention the size and toughness he would bring to our top 6. If he is willing and signs cheap, this is a no brainer.

spot

Aug 26, 2007
can Kane play goalie?

If kane signed with the Oilers, we could then redirect assets and cap space to the goal position. It would be like getting a 6-7million dollar winger for a fraction of the price. Kane + an upgrade in goal and Oilers are a playoff contender. Defence still needs work and has obvious question marks, but at the very least we can fix a top line winger addition 3 C and a goalie in two moves. A signing and then a trade. We go from 4 holes to 1 obvious hole.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Would be drop the grievance if this could happen? If not he has to wait until that process is completed before he can sign anywhere I would think.

I don't see how he could sign elsewhere until his grievance is settled. But this is probably a good indication of how Kane's camp expects the grievance to play out.
Is contract reinstatement a possible consequence of the grievance process? If not, I don't see why he couldn't move on.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I don't see how he could sign elsewhere until his grievance is settled. But this is probably a good indication of how Kane's camp expects the grievance to play out.
Lebrun in the video confirmed that is free to sign where he wants starting when his contracted cleared and was terminated yesterday.

Reactions: uncleben

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Is contract reinstatement a possible consequence of the grievance process? If not, I don't see why he couldn't move on.

I think that to avoid future complications he wont be allowed to sign until his grievance is over. But Im not a legal expert either.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I bet a fair amount he'd be a good fit on the Oilers. Not a lot of cash or my family mind you-but a fair amount.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If kane signed with the Oilers, we could then redirect assets and cap space to the goal position. It would be like getting a 6-7million dollar winger for a fraction of the price. Kane + an upgrade in goal and Oilers are a playoff contender. Defence still needs work and has obvious question marks, but at the very least we can fix a top line winger addition 3 C and a goalie in two moves. A signing and then a trade. We go from 4 holes to 1 obvious hole.

The Oilers are top 10 draft pick contender, not a playoff contender. Kane or not.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
As far as I'm aware, Bill Daly has basically said there is nothing stopping Kane from signing a new deal. That could just be NHL being confident that reinstatement will not be an outcome.
I do not believe the contract will he reinstated. Most likely, Sharks and the NHLPA will have a cash settlement. Kane gets a % of his 23M that was owing divided by three years, with no cap penalty.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I'm on board if this is a cheap cap hit. Kane's a legit power forward on the ice. Even with all his off ice issues, he lead San Jose last season.

The club has lost 11 straight under Tippett, bringing in Kane can't make that worse. Adding a top 6 forward without moving assets and only using a limited amount of cap is a no brainer. This actually makes it easier to address goaltending and LD as we can allocate any tradable assets and cap towards those holes.

Reactions: Ragdoll and spot

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I'm on board if this is a cheap cap hit. Kane's a legit power forward on the ice. Even with all his off ice issues, he lead San Jose last season.

The club has lost 11 straight under Tippett, bringing in Kane can't make that worse. Adding a top 6 forward without moving assets and only using a limited amount of cap is a no brainer. This actually makes it easier to address goaltending and LD as we can allocate any tradable assets and cap towards those holes.
Yeah, my guess is that teams were interested but not at the cap hit and term (in case of further issues), and hence no waiver claims.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
The Oilers are top 10 draft pick contender, not a playoff contender. Kane or not.

The club needs a coaching change, I'm convinced the team is tuning Tippett out, this happens. Will Holland refuse to can him in season is my concern.

Add Kane really fixes the depth scoring issue, only need Koskinen upgrade and a top 4 LD, like a Chiarot and they are easily a contender. Holloway is getting game ready and might find himself up on the Oilers after he starts in Bakers.

Foegele - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Hyman - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Kane - RNH - Kassian
Benson - McLeod - fill in the blank

Kane is a shoot first/line driver, RNH is a solid two-way C but has never been one who could carry a line. I think this with Kassian is an ideal line to create true depth scoring a line that will stir the pot when needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: SwedishFire

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Yeah, my guess is that teams were interested but not at the cap hit and term (in case of further issues), and hence no waiver claims.

SJ was willing to retain and nobody traded for him. My guess is he's looking around 2.5-3.5 million to truly get another NHL shot. Will depend how many suitors are interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad