News Article: Evander can becoming an elite PWF

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
just saw this on NHL.com

nothing really new to us i guess
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=661354&navid=nhl:topheads

"I want to be one of the best players in the League and be recognized as one of the best players in the League," Kane stated. "My goal is to continue to be more dominant each and every year and continue to prove that. There are different opportunities that come along that you're maybe able to showcase that, and be a part of winning some championships and winning some different things down the road.

I dont' think we'll ever have an attitude problem with Kane. There's nothing the kid wants to do more then win, definitly the sort of guy that doesn't let himself take a game off.

I love this kid

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
And yet people wanted to jettison him because he takes funny pictures on Twitter. #smh

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
NZb30BG.gif

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Kaner needs to work on his shot accuracy a bit. Ran out of pucks before he could hit all 4 targets in the skills competition last year. :) But once he tweaks that he will be a beast. 500 career goals yo. :yo:

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I'd take someone who wants to win too much (that he's perceived as selfish or whatever other criticisms are levied against Kane) over someone who doesn't want to win enough.

As for his development, I think we're a bit off discussing the needs for his linemates. We always talk about how he needs a playmaker to set him up but Kane doesn't find the quiet ice around the net like most elite goalscorers, he thrives off of carrying the puck in and creating his own chances. I think they need to get someone else who drives the net to play with him, both to open up space and to knock in a bunch of garbage goals - something like the equivalent of a RW Ladd. Even just someone with a decent shot who knows how to get open so Kane could set them up would be great. We've seen Kane more willing to pass this year when paired with linemates he knew wouldn't immediately turn the puck over (see his willingness to pass to Jokinen who at least knows when to shoot even if he always misses, versus Wellwood or Burmistrov).

Is the title (Evander can becoming an elite PWF) a typo? Is it supposed to be "is" instead of "can" or is "Evander Can" his new nickname due to his positive can-do attitude? :laugh:

Last edited:

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Grindphone strikes again! This time the title is the victim. Possibly a first.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Needs to add several more dimensions to his game to become "elite". E.g. leading the league in SOG has a lot to do with skating in the zone and not exercising any other options other than wristing it on net. Elite players do more with what they have.

jetsfan8

Mar 13, 2013
Needs to add several more dimensions to his game to become "elite". E.g. leading the league in SOG has a lot to do with skating in the zone and not exercising any other options other than wristing it on net. Elite players do more with what they have.

k
note to self
never shoot puck, goals arent scored that way:handclap:

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria

k
note to self
never shoot puck, goals arent scored that way:handclap:

my·op·ic
[mahy-op-ik, -oh-pik]
adjective
Ophthalmology . pertaining to or having myopia; nearsighted.
unable or unwilling to act prudently; shortsighted.
lacking tolerance or understanding; narrow-minded.

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
Grindphone strikes again! This time the title is the victim. Possibly a first.

Haha, I thought it said "Evander can become an elite PWF" until you pointed it out. He might've gotten away with it :laugh:

and yeah, I've agree with everyone here. Those are the kinds of things you love to hear from your young players. Blame him for whatever you want, you can't fault his attitude. I mean, I guess it's not news to us but he's 21, he works hard and he's got some impressive impressive point totals.

The sky is the limit for Kane and I'm looking forward to watching him soar with the Jets :P :handclap:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

Leading the league in SOG generally leads to scoring 40 or 50 goals.

Lots of SOG has worked for Neal, Kovi, Parise, Malkin, E. Staal, Jeff Carter, Kessel, Crosby, Zetterberg, Hossa, Lecavalier, Jagr, Jokinen, Heatley and co.

jetsfan8

Mar 13, 2013
my·op·ic
[mahy-op-ik, -oh-pik]
adjective
Ophthalmology . pertaining to or having myopia; nearsighted.
unable or unwilling to act prudently; shortsighted.
lacking tolerance or understanding; narrow-minded.

cool, big word

so let me clarify, you are sayong that shooting the hockey puck is a bad thing?
you are aware that that is the only way to score is by shooting the puck right?
and dont tell me that evander doesnt pass, cause thats not true

jetsfan8

Mar 13, 2013
fair enough

Needs to add several more dimensions to his game to become "elite".
i would like that poster to list the "several more dimensions" that he is talking about then

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
fair enough

i would like that poster to list the "several more dimensions" that he is talking about then

I aggree O think in the shootout or breakaway he should fake the shot and do the deke.......
His shot is his bread and butter........ but every goalie in the league has seen has now seen his 8 breakaway goals Tsn plays of the night with the great shot glove side under the cross bar

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
cool, big word

so let me clarify, you are sayong that shooting the hockey puck is a bad thing?
you are aware that that is the only way to score is by shooting the puck right?
and dont tell me that evander doesnt pass, cause thats not true

He's saying that shots alone aren't good enough, they need to be legitimate scoring chances. A lot of players could a lot of SOG, too, but they usually try to create a better chance.

Kane's style is to put a lot on net, rush any possible rebound. He does pass but generally has a shoot first mentality. We need somebody else with good speed who help clear space or pick up any garbage for Kane.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
fair enough

As a big Kane doubter, i will endeavor to explain it to you. It's called hockey sense. Some guys have it. the true elite. they make everyone else on thier line better. you see them slow the play, make the smart pass, dump the puck into usefull areas. the score and assist and play smart D and their linemates benefit from the excelent decision making.

theese are the elements we find Kane to be lacking. Sure he leads the league in shots. but how many of those are easy stops from the top of the circle to a wide open gaolie standing alone half a mile infront of the crease? lots by my count. about 3 or 4 times a night. Are you telling me that those are honest to goodness scoring chances? cuz i don't think so.

Now before everyone goes "full Pejorative Slur" on me I would ask that you remember that I have repeatedly eaten crow about Kane's attitude and his work ethic. He has turned me around this year. after his summer hijinks and bad play in the KHL i was really worried we were goinna get another Daigle type player, all the skill and promiss in the world with a P!55 Poor attitude. it looks like Evnder is gonna prove me wrong. but you all seem to think he can do no wrong and is a 100% complete player......

Well he isn't. There is work he needs to do. skills he needs to develop. As of Yet Kane hasn't made his linemtes better(not signifigantly) as of yet, he still puts his dump ins in bad spots. as of yet he doesn't control the tempo of the game to his teams advantage. he hasn't been the quarterback.

he could be and i dearly hope he is. but his isn't a true elite player yet. Crosby could still teach him a few lessons.

Anyhow Like I said Evander has turned me around and made me a supporter. but i'm not going to say he's the best player in the league by anymeans. Not yet anyway.

pondnorth

Dec 16, 2005
As a big Kane doubter, i will endeavor to explain it to you. It's called hockey sense. Some guys have it. the true elite. they make everyone else on thier line better. you see them slow the play, make the smart pass, dump the puck into usefull areas. the score and assist and play smart D and their linemates benefit from the excelent decision making.

theese are the elements we find Kane to be lacking. Sure he leads the league in shots. but how many of those are easy stops from the top of the circle to a wide open gaolie standing alone half a mile infront of the crease? lots by my count. about 3 or 4 times a night. Are you telling me that those are honest to goodness scoring chances? cuz i don't think so.

Now before everyone goes "full Pejorative Slur" on me I would ask that you remember that I have repeatedly eaten crow about Kane's attitude and his work ethic. He has turned me around this year. after his summer hijinks and bad play in the KHL i was really worried we were goinna get another Daigle type player, all the skill and promiss in the world with a P!55 Poor attitude. it looks like Evnder is gonna prove me wrong. but you all seem to think he can do no wrong and is a 100% complete player......

Well he isn't. There is work he needs to do. skills he needs to develop. As of Yet Kane hasn't made his linemtes better(not signifigantly) as of yet, he still puts his dump ins in bad spots. as of yet he doesn't control the tempo of the game to his teams advantage. he hasn't been the quarterback.

he could be and i dearly hope he is. but his isn't a true elite player yet. Crosby could still teach him a few lessons.

Anyhow Like I said Evander has turned me around and made me a supporter. but i'm not going to say he's the best player in the league by anymeans. Not yet anyway.

Kane is a north/south straight ahead type shooter and probably will be the rest of his career,he`s never going to be the qb. If you watched last years WC,he played on a line with Getzlaf and Perry.He was outstanding and with a little added talent here, his is going to really excell.

bazaaa*

He won't become elite until he stops shooting from every angle possible, and stops no look passing infront of the net the rare time he does pass.
Either experience will fix this, and take him to the next level, or he's too dumb and he'll stay as he is now, which isn't bad, but still frustrating.

pateramus

Jan 10, 2013
Winnipeg
nice to see that if Kane does have a team mate that can keep up with his play he can make great passes as well (Wheeler a few games back and Mittens tonight). I think he creates his own rushes, we need someone with him who can skate FAST to the net and be there for the pass or to knock that mf rebound into the net.

jetsfan8

Mar 13, 2013
He won't become elite until he stops shooting from every angle possible, and stops no look passing infront of the net the rare time he does pass.
Either experience will fix this, and take him to the next level, or he's too dumb and he'll stay as he is now, which isn't bad, but still frustrating.

who is he supposed to pass to?
olli? haha
mittens? hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
he tried passing to mittens tonight..........that was....ugh...i dont even wanna talk about it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad