Player Discussion Evan Bouchard

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
This isn't a dilemma. They can sign both with a rising cap and there's about 15 players on this roster that would be cap casualties over those 2.
Yeah, the cap will rise twice over, Brown/Perry bonus money goes away, Neal buyout expires.

Only problem is all that money goes to just extending those guys, not much left for adding to the roster.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Cmon man. Stop lying. I said “he could have cost us the season” and we haven’t advanced yet so this holds true.

If you watch the sequence leading up to the play he scored last night he fumbled the puck twice and made a garbage pass to mcdavid that ended up working out.

We’re not saying he’s a bad defenseman, we don’t hate the guy, but sure as shit he’s not in consideration for the smythe and he’s not a top defenseman in this league. You can keep living in your delusional world, but stop calling out me and Guymez out. It’s immature and getting old.
What are you basing this on? Surely not the eye test, counting numbers, or his advanced metrics.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
He's also hurt. I think you are really reaching on this comparison. It's not a knock on Bouchard either

Hughes can skate the puck through the other team to get out of danger, which puts him in a small elite group of players. He's closer to Makar than he is to Bouchard imo
Bouchard’s defensive metrics are far better than Hughes. So your measurement of a good defensemen is skating? Curious as how you would rate Chris Pronger?

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Nope. You absolutely did not say that. Your statement was clear as day. Had the Oilers lost yesterday in a 5-4 game where Bouchard had 4 points, was a plus +4 and not on the ice for any goals against, made 3 goaline saves behind Skinner, and had 2 disallowed goals due to poor reffing,.....you 1000% insinuated that the entire series would have been lost b/c of that one play.

You're trying to walk back a stupid statement. Only one lying is you. Just like you did with the other poster who busted you by posting your DM lmao
I told everyone here first that Skinner was starting and sent a DM to a poster who didn't believe me and told me I had voices in my head. How is that lying? I'm defending my correct statement.

I said Bouchard "may very well have cost us our season". So yes you are lying. The losers of game 5 when a series is tied 2-2 have around a 20 % chance to win the series. (Completely fair statement)

You literally told everyone on the mains that Bouchard is in the Smythe Conversation. It's possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I told you to go bet him at 75-1 and you said nothing.

I don't hate Bouchard, he's a good player. Get that part in your head already. I'm trying to humble your delusion around him. Do you realize if the Oilers lose tonight that 7 of the top 10 point scorers will have been eliminated? Points aren't everything.

• Haha

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I told everyone here first that Skinner was starting and sent a DM to a poster who didn't believe me and told me I had voices in my head. How is that lying? I'm defending my correct statement.

I said Bouchard "may very well have cost us our season". So yes you are lying. The losers of game 5 when a series is tied 2-2 have around a 20 % chance to win the series. (Completely fair statement)

You literally told everyone on the mains that Bouchard is in the Smythe Conversation. It's possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I told you to go bet him at 75-1 and you said nothing.

I don't hate Bouchard, he's a good player. Get that part in your head already. I'm trying to humble your delusion around him. Do you realize if the Oilers lose tonight that 7 of the top 10 point scorers will have been eliminated? Points aren't everything.
This is really eating you up isn’t it.

I asked you for a source when it was NOT confirmed anywhere publicly that I was aware of at that time (the day before the game), that Skinner was starting.

I requested you to cite your source to better understand. You never did, I asked twice. All this was done in this public forum.

Then you decided to taunt me with a DM saying “ cant handle the fact that skinner is starting eh? And still not being transparent on how you arrived at stating this. Skinner wasn’t confirmed publicly as starter until the next day.

If you want to cite statements as fact here and are asked for a source and you won’t, don’t get your panties twisted when people get frustrated with your antics. And if you want to taunt members here privately you should also accept the repercussions of doing so.

Anyway your immaturity is starting to get tiresome. I realize you will need to have the last word on this but I’m out. You’re on ignore.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
What are you basing this on? Surely not the eye test, counting numbers, or his advanced metrics.
I am basing it on:

The Oilers scoring is extremely concentrated around Mcdavid and Drai. He has gotten a lot of secondary assists by being the distributer of the puck when these 2 are on the Ice. Evan Bouchard being paired with Matias Ekholm amplifies this. It means he is the primary mover of the puck. It’s usually on his stick as opposed to his partners. (this should be self-explanatory)

In the regular season (larger sample size) Bouchard 4th in secondary assists and 51st in primary assists. He has a lot of assists simply from “touching the puck”

For reference: Mcdavid was 1st in primary assists (everyone here knows how good #97 is).

When comparing Bouchard’s game to elites he struggles in the defensive zone. Turnovers, hesitations and the speed in which he processes things.

These are the reasons why Bouchard is in fact not in the Smythe conversation.

Disclaimer- I don’t hate Bouchard. This is a post replying to someone on why he is not yet in the conversation for being an elite player in the NHL

• Haha
Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I am basing it on:

The Oilers scoring is extremely concentrated around Mcdavid and Drai. He has gotten a lot of secondary assists by being the distributer of the puck when these 2 are on the Ice. Evan Bouchard being paired with Matias Ekholm amplifies this. It means he is the primary mover of the puck. It’s usually on his stick as opposed to his partners. (this should be self-explanatory)

In the regular season (larger sample size) Bouchard 4th in secondary assists and 51st in primary assists. He has a lot of assists simply from “touching the puck”

For reference: Mcdavid was 1st in primary assists (everyone here knows how good #97 is).

When comparing Bouchard’s game to elites he struggles in the defensive zone. Turnovers, hesitations and the speed in which he processes things.

Disclaimer- I don’t hate Bouchard. This is a post replying to someone on why he is not yet in the conversation for being an elite player in the NHL
That's because primary assists are harder to come by for defensemen.

Among D he is 8th.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
I am basing it on:

You use McDavid as an example of primary assists, but forget that is part of the reason for Bouchard not having as many primary assists. McDavid and Draisiatl rack up primary assists and Bouchard is often the one moving the puck up to them on the break out. Its a poor thing to dock Bouchard on for doing his job moving the puck, the play moves more through Josi and Hughes on their teams then it does though Bouchard on the Oilers. Markar's numbers are similar to Bouchard's in Primary assists as he moves the puck to Mackinnon ect, is Makar not Elite? Also terrible to be comparing Bouchard to overall skaters primary assists stating he's 51st overall to make him sound worse, when he was 8th overall in primary assists by defensemen.

Also Josi, Makar, and Hughes got a lot more PP time to work with to get said assists Hughes had over forty more minutes PP/TOI and thats not just from the Oilers scoring early in a PP the Canucks had 13 more PP opportunities, the preds had 26 more, and the Avs had 35 more (holy F@$K!) for Makar to work with.

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I am basing it on:

LOL. This has to be the dumbest logic I have ever read

Ok, let's apply your logic to somebody else. Cale Makar is a mediocre player. If it wasn't for McRant he would be average at best. He does not deserve to be a Norris candidate or winner cuz SEVENTY TWO out of his 90 points came with them involved

Oh, and I'll use some of more of your logic against you. You replied to my post on the mains. Why are you stalking me to the main board? I feel as if you're targeting me and replying to just me.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
You use McDavid as an example of primary assists, but forget that is part of the reason for Bouchard not having as many primary assists. McDavid and Draisiatl rack up primary assists and Bouchard is often the one moving the puck up to them on the break out. Its a poor thing to dock Bouchard on for doing his job moving the puck, the play moves more through Josi and Hughes on their teams then it does though Bouchard on the Oilers. Markar's numbers are similar to Bouchard's in Primary assists as he move the puck to Mackinnon ect, is Makar not Elite? Also terrible to be comparing Bouchard to overall skaters primary assists stating he's 51st overall to make him sound worse, when he was 8th overall in primary assists by defensemen.

Also Josi, Makar, and Hughes got a lot more PP time to work with to get said assists Hughes had over forty more minutes PP/TOI and thats not just from the Oilers scoring early in a PP the Canucks had 13 more PP opportunities, the preds had 26 more, and the Avs had 35 more (holy F@$K!) for Makar to work with.
200w.gif

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
As if I couldn't love Bouch more

Calls our Arvidsson for diving, then makes fun of Fiala's lame mustache.

Legend.

Didn't know Bouch was a chirper. Watching some of the mic'd up stuff on Oilers plus. He is actually very vocal out there.

8477942.png
I like him even more for dissing Fiala. Yep. Booch talks a bit. I liked the height motioning to Garland as well.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I am basing it on:

I’m a bit confused what you want from Bouchard. Would you rather him not transition the puck to our all star forwards?

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I am basing it on:

So, you are basing this completely on counting numbers and what your perception and value you place on primary vs secondary assists. No- secondary assists are not just from touching the puck. Moving the puck out is an extremely important skill. Have you ever considered that McDavid and Draisaitl’s production goes up while Bouchard is on the ice?

How about these numbers- Bouchard has an 88% xGAR. Basically - when compared to other defensemen in his role (top pairing). This takes into account QoC. He is near the top of the league in zone denials, successful zone exits, rush defense. So your take that he struggles when compared to elites is completely false. He’s better than most of them. 97 and 29 also score more when Bouchard is on the ice, the team allows less goals and spends less time in the defensive zone when he is on the ice.

Sorry, I 100% disagree with your assessment. Actual defensive metrics don’t support your analysis either.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
So, you are basing this completely on counting numbers and what your perception and value you place on primary vs secondary assists. No- secondary assists are not just from touching the puck. Moving the puck out is an extremely important skill. Have you ever considered that McDavid and Draisaitl’s production goes up while Bouchard is on the ice?

How about these numbers- Bouchard has an 88% xGAR. Basically - when compared to other defensemen in his role (top pairing). This takes into account QoC. He is near the top of the league in zone denials, successful zone exits, rush defense. So your take that he struggles when compared to elites is completely false. He’s better than most of them. 97 and 29 also score more when Bouchard is on the ice, the team allows less goals and spends less time in the defensive zone when he is on the ice.

Sorry, I 100% disagree with your assessment. Actual defensive metrics don’t support your analysis either.
were-going-to-keep-this-going-chris-rock.gif

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I’m a bit confused what you want from Bouchard. Would you rather him not transition the puck to our all star forwards?
My post was to say Bouchard isn't in the Smythe talk. I was simply replying to a poster who said "how isn't he".

If we win, he will get no votes. All you people that think I'm wrong can go bet 75-1 odds if you wish

Bouchard is a good defensemen, he's been key for us this playoffs, but there's no point me posting in this thread anymore because as other posters have said there is a Bouchard cult that doesn't see the faults in his game. You mention something you get attacked.

Bouchard cost us game 5 and it was more than just the turnover on Vancouver's second goal. It was the whole game, yet nobody will talk about it.

Hopefully tonight a good version of Bouchard shows up.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
My post was to say Bouchard isn't in the Smythe talk. I was simply replying to a poster who said "how isn't he".

If we win, he will get no votes. All you people that think I'm wrong can go bet 75-1 odds if you wish

Bouchard is a good defensemen, he's been key for us this playoffs, but there's no point me posting in this thread anymore because as other posters have said there is a Bouchard cult that doesn't see the faults in his game. You mention something you get attacked.

Bouchard cost us game 5 and it was more than just the turnover on Vancouver's second goal. It was the whole game, yet nobody will talk about it.

The Oilers getting completely outplayed in every part of the game cost them game 5.

Drai or McDavid probably win the Smythe if we win. However if Bouchard keeps up this pace I guarantee he will be in the conversation. He has 3 game winning goals already. Insane production from a d-man.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

you're still arguing months later about people praising him eh?

first, you were personally offended anyone dare consider him in the Norris conversation back in April....now it personally offends you someone should considering him in the Smythe conversation

why does it bother you so much?

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
R the same fellas who said we r gonna lose GM 6 saying we r gonna lose GM 7? Hope so, then that means we will win
I’m thinking a monster night by MCDavid
Anything on Henrique?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The Oilers getting completely outplayed in every part of the game cost them game 5.
Bouchard was the worst player on the ice.
Elite players have off games (quiet games) where they arent noticed nearly as much but rarely if ever are they the worst player on the ice for their team.
He cant go to that place (that level of ineptness) again and if he really is an elite player he wont.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I have no problem with Bouchard "getting paid" as long as it isn't with the Oilers.

Why even post this? I made my point clear, I even praised him when he was playing well.

Your boy Bouchard single handedly lost us the game and potentially the season. Constant turnovers at the most inopportune times in game 5.

I really like Bouchard as a player but it was really something to have to fend off poster after poster because I suggested that I wanted to see more from Bouchard.
In last nights game he showed exactly why.
In the biggest game of the year he became a turnover machine.

That was the version of Bouchard that we have seen before and it has to go away.
Norris candidates do not go from elite to garbage in 48 hours and thats exactly what Bouchard did.
At some point this isn't a hockey discussion it's 100% trolling.

In 12 playoff games he has one "off" game and the rest he is either good, great, or amazing leading the league for defensman on top of being incredibly clutch with GWGs...

Everyone has a bad take every now and then but this is... I don't even know what this is.

The lack of hockey knowledge is staggering. The over the top attack on a player for one sub par game... Gross weird bias.

I just can't wrap my head around it.

I hope he can continue to keep it up but in a bubble of these last 2 rounds he has been nothing short of amazing and deserving of high praise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad