Player Discussion Evan Bouchard

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Remember when this poster DENIED saying Hyman is a goal suck?

Tr***ing 101. Say something ludicrous, ignore answering current replies, then deny saying it at a later date

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
This guy is pacing 117 points last 2 playoffs over 82 games , flipping incredible
But can you win a Stanley Cup with Bouchard playing major minutes facing off against top contending teams, rosters brimming with elite players?

We will see in short order starting with the Canucks.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
But can you win a Stanley Cup with Bouchard playing major minutes facing off against top contending teams, rosters brimming with elite players?

What a stupid take.

If the Oilers can't win a cup, its not going to be because Bouchard is playing major minutes.

It's going to be because the Nurse-Ceci pairing is once again getting brutalized out there and the Desharnais-Kulak pairing is barely any better.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
What a stupid take.

If the Oilers can't win a cup, its not going to be because Bouchard is playing major minutes.

It's going to be because the Nurse-Ceci pairing is once again getting brutalized out there and the Desharnais-Kulak pairing is barely any better.
We will see what the Oilers can do and if they can win with Bouchard, just because he hasn't imploded yet doesn't mean that he won't.

Take it game by game starting tomorrow. Out of the 7 playoff games to date I believe he has had two top-notch games and those were both against LA.

• Haha
Reactions: CycloneSweep

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
lol keep those fingers crossed
you got it all wrong, and you need to lighten up

you didn't even wait a half-minute with your lightning fast response while I edited my above post, it literally took me fifteen seconds to make that edit... you're on the edge of your seat and troubled my good man

• Haha
Reactions: CycloneSweep

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Yep. I’d say he’s “brought it”, to quote one of his detractors here.

Bye the way, where is Broberg right now?
If Bouchard is to become a big time player for the Oilers he must demonstrate the character along with enough multifaceted overall skill and abilities to take over games like McDavid and Draisaitl... or Ekholm last game. And he'll have to do it again and again without fail.

Broberg hasn't proven a single thing at the NHL level. 8th on the Oilers depth chart of available defenseman this postseason.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If Bouchard is to become a big time player for the Oilers he must demonstrate the character along with enough multifaceted overall skill and abilities to take over games like McDavid and Draisaitl... or Ekholm last game. And he'll have to do it again and again without fail.

Broberg hasn't proven a single thing at the NHL level. 8th on the Oilers depth chart of available defenseman this postseason.
Jari Kurri was a big time player for the Oilers. I don't remember many times when he took over games to be honest. Some players just contribute quietly.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

We will see what the Oilers can do and if they can win with Bouchard, just because he hasn't imploded yet doesn't mean that he won't.

Take it game by game starting tomorrow. Out of the 7 playoff games to date I believe he has had two top-notch games and those were both against LA.
I am reasonably sure at this point you are not an Oiler fan and just trolling. Moving goalposts, saying nonsense, cherry picking the worst that hasn't even happen yet... This is actively rooting against the Oilers imo.

Bouchard has been nothing short of amazing. A huge part of why they made the playoffs and have 5 wins so far...

Including the game winning goal in OT... A fact alone that makes your statement bizarre to the extreme.

Even in the Van series he has likely been the Oilers second best defender and was obviously the best in round one even over Ekholm.

The two of them take turns being the Oilers best defenseman, often in very different ways. They have great chemistry and compliment each other incredibly well. They are one of the best pairings in the league regular or post season.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I am reasonably sure at this point you are not an Oiler fan and just trolling. Moving goalposts, saying nonsense, cherry picking the worst that hasn't even happen yet... This is actively rooting against the Oilers imo.

Bouchard has been nothing short of amazing. A huge part of why they made the playoffs and have 5 wins so far...

Including the game winning goal in OT... A fact alone that makes your statement bizarre to the extreme.

Even in the Van series he has likely been the Oilers second best defender and was obviously the best in round one even over Ekholm.

The two of them take turns being the Oilers best defenseman, often in very different ways. They have great chemistry and compliment each other incredibly well. They are one of the best pairings in the league regular or post season.
This is how i imagine it goes before every post......
arteta-mikel-arteta.gif

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Really? Based on what?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Really? Based on what?
Really? Based on what?
LOL... I have these things called eyes and being very modest a basic understanding of hockey and I passed grade 2 math... Only someone without those basic skills would disagree.

9 Points versus 1...

+3 versus + 0...

What are widely considered 2 of his best games of his career and just being absolutely dominate in all three zones.

Bouchard was the better overall defenseman, best of the series on both teams, in the LA series.

It is known.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
LOL... I have these things called eyes and being very modest a basic understanding of hockey and I passed grade 2 math... Only someone without those basic skills would disagree.

9 Points versus 1...

+3 versus + 0...

What are widely considered 2 of his best games of his career and just being absolutely dominate in all three zones.

Bouchard was the better overall defenseman, best of the series on both teams, in the LA series.

It is known.
Well..you are entitled to your opinion but I submit to you that its absolutely not a slam dunk.
Offence is great but its hardly the only way to evaluate a dman.

The real test for Bouchard would be to see him away from MCDavid and not paired with Ekholm.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Well..you are entitled to your opinion but I submit to you that its absolutely not a slam dunk.
Offence is great but its hardly the only way to evaluate a dman.

The real test for Bouchard would be to see him away from MCDavid and not paired with Ekholm.
I mean- his underlying defensive metrics are top of the league too…

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
As I said...lets see how he does away from Ekholm.
Your request is strange and I'll avoid the weird negativity associated with the comments and say...

I have always felt Bouchard and Nurse would be an excellent pairing as well. I would speculate not as good as Ekholm of course but in many ways Bouchard/Nurse would be a fairly complimentary pairing as well.

I think Nurse Bouchard versus Ekholm Ceci would likely put Bouchard in a favorable light still.

The Bouchard detractors are very much ignoring how amazing he is and what he does that helps Ekholm, or any potential partner.

The no brainer comment of course...

Why would you ever split up such an amazing pairing.

You don't.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Your request is strange and I'll avoid the weird negativity associated with the comments and say...

I have always felt Bouchard and Nurse would be an excellent pairing as well. I would speculate not as good as Ekholm of course but in many ways Bouchard/Nurse would be a fairly complimentary pairing as well.

I think Nurse Bouchard versus Ekholm Ceci would likely put Bouchard in a favorable light still.

The Bouchard detractors are very much ignoring how amazing he is and what he does that helps Ekholm, or any potential partner.

The no brainer comment of course...

Why would you ever split up such an amazing pairing.

You don't.
I mean Bouchard literally transformed as a dman when Ekholm arrived. So how is it that you think suggesting an evaluation of Bouchard away from Ekholm is strange?

How else are you going to properly evaluate Bouchard?

You arent making much sense here.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You can say that about Ekholm too. Ekholm reached career highs and had his career rejuvenated playing with Bouchard- both in counting numbers and underlying metrics. They both helped each other.
This is a very shortsighted post.
Are you aware of Ekholms history in Nashville?

If you were then you would know that Ekholm was the primary dman for bringing along young dmen.
Just like he has done with Bouchard.

Ekholm did not need Bouchard to be a better dman. That said playing with McDavid has helped both his and Bouchard offensive numbers.
Also...prior to Ekholms arrival Barrie was the #1 dman on the PP.
Since Barries departure (and Ekholms arrival) Bouchard was given those minutes. That has helped his offensive numbers in a massive way.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Bouchard took strides with Keith too. It's called development and common sense. . Seeing someone suggest he is a mere product of Ekholm is just plain stupid

Bouchard needs a good player to cover him when he pinches, but many a players can do that. It's definitely not Ekholm who is making those neutral zone passes, those patient plays during forechecks that end up in clean breakouts, or those timely pinches that have lead to dozens upon dozens of goals.

Not to mention Ekholm has jumped massively in offensive stats too b/c of Bouch

It's a great pair for sure, but it's not the only pair Bouchard will be good with

Crazy to think that the Oilers ended up drafting 3 players I personally coveted over any other player during the drafts. Second place wasn't even close at the time. McD, Drai and Bouch by a country mile. If only they picked up Tkachuk it would have been insane, He was the best fit for McD by a long margin ATT. I absolutely adored Laine also, but MT was the clear winner for this team. Too bad

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I mean Bouchard literally transformed as a dman when Ekholm arrived. So how is it that you think suggesting an evaluation of Bouchard away from Ekholm is strange?

How else are you going to properly evaluate Bouchard?

You arent making much sense here.

Bouchard took strides with Keith too. It's called development and common sense. . Seeing someone suggest he is a mere product of Ekholm is just plain stupid

Bouchard needs a good player to cover him when he pinches, but many a players can do that. It's definitely not Ekholm who is making those neutral zone passes, those patient plays during forechecks that end up in clean breakouts, or those timely pinches that have lead to dozens upon dozens of goals.

Not to mention Ekholm has jumped massively in offensive stats too b/c of Bouch

It's a great pair for sure, but it's not the only pair Bouchard will be good with

Crazy to think that the Oilers ended up drafting 3 players I personally coveted over any other player during the drafts. Second place wasn't even close at the time. McD, Drai and Bouch by a country mile. If only they picked up Tkachuk it would have been insane, He was the best fit for McD by a long margin ATT. I absolutely adored Laine also, but MT was the clear winner for this team. Too bad
Dang. Bobby beat me to it.

Evaluation can and is done separately for all defenseman. Assuming Bouchards natural development for his age and elite draft pedigree is all because of Ekholm is one of the worst takes yet.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad