Player Discussion Evan Bouchard

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think the biggest effect will be when Bouch gets paid that he will get crapped on like Nurse does for his defensive play wondering if a guy getting paid "X" should make defensive errors like that.
I think that Bouchard may already be as good as Nurse is defensively. That isnt saying much but when you can score at a point per game pace then that makes a big difference in terms of value.

Bouchard is also only 24 and he has room to improve his deficiencies.
Nurse is approaching 30 years old. He isnt getting any better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I think that Bouchard may already be as good as Nurse is defensively. That isnt saying much but when you can score at a point per game pace then that makes a big difference in terms of value.

Bouchard is also only 24 and he has room to improve his deficiencies.
Nurse is appraoching 30 years old. He isnt getting any better.
He’s better than nurse defensively.

And I don’t think it’s that close right now

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I think the biggest effect will be when Bouch gets paid that he will get crapped on like Nurse does for his defensive play wondering if a guy getting paid "X" should make defensive errors like that.

Good news for Bouch. Lots of high paid D make constant mistakes in their own end. He is living up to the Carlson comparison almost perfectly.

Nurse however. When he is bad he is doing nothing. He can't make outlet passes anything like Bouch can. If Nurse isn't on his came transporting pucks all ppl can see is the bad in his game.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Good news for Bouch. Lots of high paid D make constant mistakes in their own end. He is living up to the Carlson comparison almost perfectly.

Nurse however. When he is bad he is doing nothing. He can't make outlet passes anything like Bouch can. If Nurse isn't on his came transporting pucks all ppl can see is the bad in his game.
Nurse and Bouchard are defensemen playing different roles on the team. Switch places with the players.

Nurse would do well with Ekholm, even if Ekholm or Nurse were forced to play their off side. Bouchard would sink driving his own pairing in the top 4 unless he is paired with a partner like Ekholm.

Nurse could play on the powerplay. It wouldn't be as good but it wouldn't be horrible. Bouchard as a full time penalty kill player would be bad.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I like both dmen for different reasons but doesn't nurse put up good offensive numbers every year despite zero pp1 time?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I like both dmen for different reasons but doesn't nurse put up good offensive numbers every year despite zero pp1 time?
Nurse isnt very good at generating offence so when his defensive game is poor he is a liability.
A $9.25M liability.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Alot of that seems to be from his pairing being the one paired with the top line.

Now we see that happening with the Ekholm Bouchard pairing at 5on5.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Nurse isnt very good at generating offence so when his defensive game is poor he is a liability.
A $9.25M liability.
Nurse actually leads the D core in 5v5 IPP, so he's involved in the highest percentage of offense while he's on the ice, but the overall offense is lower because he sees less time with McDavid and in less offensive situations.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yes, he's the Douchard! But at 80 points a season one would be happy even with Nurse! lol.
Nurse got his pay day while he was the #1 PP quarterback. Bouchard gets that lift now, and of course he's lifted by getting to play with Ekholm.

I could see a scenario where Bouchard gets his pay day and then Ekholm starts showing his age. Hopefully by then he's become a great D on his own

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Nurse can be very good at jumping up in the play. His skating is a great asset. Bouch relies on his playmaking to help the transition which is far more consistent and reliable through the season. That's why elite playmaking D make the big bucks. Nurse really needs to be on his game and skating well with the puck to take part in offense.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Nurse got his pay day while he was the #1 PP quarterback. Bouchard gets that lift now, and of course he's lifted by getting to play with Ekholm.

I could see a scenario where Bouchard gets his pay day and then Ekholm starts showing his age. Hopefully by then he's become a great D on his own
I think he's better defensively than people give him credit. I remember there was a breakdown where bouchard was the best Oilers' d-man in terms of preventing zone entry and breaking the cycle. He's not the speediest, but he's usually in a good position and is not a small offensive d-man like Barrie or Karlsson. He averages 23 minutes a game and is a massive +35. For the sake of comparison, Nurse is +5 playing fewer minutes. Part of it is Ekholm, but it's not just Ekholm.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Bouch put up loads of 5v5 points playing with Keith while Barrie hogged all the PP time. And everyone said Keith carried him, yet Keith was brutal with everyone else and sank us in playoffs getting walked over and over (including the sad ending vs Colorado).

Ekholm struggled badly in Nashville with a young D before we traded for him. There is a reason why Nashville decided he was the expendable one even though they just extended him. Think the D factory in Nashville doesn't know how to evaluate D, and thought Ek could have performed for them like he has with Bouch on our team? One day ppl will have to give Bouch some credit for his playmaking.

The stars aligned for us with this Ek/Bouch pair. Thankful Holland got 1 good trade in. It's arguably a top 2 or 3 pair in the NHL and both guys are playing huge parts in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seanaconda

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I think he's better defensively than people give him credit. I remember there was a breakdown where bouchard was the best Oilers' d-man in terms of preventing zone entry and breaking the cycle. He's not the speediest, but he's usually in a good position and is not a small offensive d-man like Barrie or Karlsson. He averages 23 minutes a game and is a massive +35. For the sake of comparison, Nurse is +5 playing fewer minutes. Part of it is Ekholm, but it's not just Ekholm.
People focus on one big mistake and ignore all the good things he does.

Weird how little was heard of it after Ekholm screwed up in overtime against the blues, if that was Bouchard, it would still be getting brought up.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I've seen some amazing D zone skills from Bouchard. He will have these great moments where he will catch pucks in mid air he's gotten better about showing intensity in the D zone.

However, he has lapses, like Nurse. The hope is that unlike Nurse he finds a way to progress past that. Consistency is what defines Ekholm's greatness

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I've seen some amazing D zone skills from Bouchard. He will have these great moments where he will catch pucks in mid air he's gotten better about showing intensity in the D zone.

However, he has lapses, like Nurse. The hope is that unlike Nurse he finds a way to progress past that. Consistency is what defines Ekholm's greatness
Ekholm still makes mistakes, it just gets brushed aside because hes a veteran or something.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Ekholm still makes mistakes, it just gets brushed aside because hes a veteran or something.
Rest Ekholm and play Bouchard with Kulak as the top pairing for the last game of the regular season against Colorado. Unless Colorado is resting players that pairing gets obliterated. Even if they are resting players a Bouchard/Kulak pairing gets red ass spanked.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Rest Ekholm and play Bouchard with Kulak as the top pairing for the last game of the regular season against Colorado. Unless Colorado is resting players that pairing gets obliterated. Even if they are resting players a Bouchard/Kulak pairing gets red ass spanked.
I'd rest Ekholm that game for no other reason than that the Avs might play some young guys who will want to get noticed, and might do something dumb like cheap shot Ekholm for what he did to Rantanen

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I'd rest Ekholm that game for no other reason than that the Avs might play some young guys who will want to get noticed, and might do something dumb like cheap shot Ekholm for what he did to Rantanen
I hope the Oilers play their most physical game since the 80s in a bloodbath with their entire playoff roster intact against Colorado.

When we play Vegas in the opening round I hope they top that shit tenfold.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
You mean playing a #5 on the top pair with Bouchard wont work?

Did you brainstorm that up yourself?

Because the mistakes are rarer
Sure, but clearly Ekholm see's something positive in Bouchards defensive play with how much Ekholm is pinching now, its becoming more and more common as the season goes on.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
You mean playing a #5 on the top pair with Bouchard wont work?

Did you brainstorm that up yourself?

Sure, but clearly Ekholm see's something positive in Bouchards defensive play with how much Ekholm is pinching now, its becoming more and more common as the season goes on.
Play Bouchard on the first pairing with any other defenseman available on the Oilers roster except Ekholm against Colorado and see what happens. You'd come up with an excuse for Bouchard, I'm sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad