Evan Bouchard will finish the season with a .ppg and 82 points, +34

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I don't see how Bouchard is propped up by McDavid any more than Makar is propped up by Mackinnon. Bouchard's production shouldn't be discredited because he plays with great players because I doubt all dmen would be able to produce at that level in the same situation.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Evan Bouchard is world class at the things he's good at (passing, getting shots through from the point, one of the hardest and most accurate shots in the league), but he's an albatross at other things.

He's someone who will always need good players to augment his strengths and fill-in his weaknesses and by that metric he's in one of the best possible situations. In McDavid and Draisaitl he's playing with the core of one of the best powerplays ever. In Ekholm he has a mature and smart partner who makes up for a lot of his mistakes and adds a lot of toughness and intelligence in his own zone and in transition.

Bouchard is the type of guy who, if he got traded/signed to be a top pairing D in a less favorable situation he would get ventilated and the narrative here would flip 180 degrees. Both would be too extreme.

He's a luxury item with some seriously high end tools, but he's not well rounded and is very exploitable when it matters.

Personally, I'm not much of a fan.

• Haha
Reactions: Steven Toast

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
If Nurse got to quarterback the powerplay and score 50-60 points a season (The guy scores double digit goals and 35- 40 points with very limited offensive opportunity and also plays with zero offensive ability partner Ceci). If he received the same offensive opportunities with his size, physical play, and skating ability, yes I would rather have Nurse.
Bouchard is better defensively and offensively than nurse

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I would take Nurse over Bouchard defensively of course, not even debatable, but I would take almost any d-man in the NHL over Bouchard defensively, I think he has one of the worst defensive skillsets I have seen. You think Bouchard is good defensively, I think he's bad so that is where it is at. Bouchard is in the NHL for elite offensive ability only, no one wants him for his defense, it's a weakness, not a strength by any stretch of the imagination.
This shows how little your “eye test” means.

Unless you enjoy nurse going starfish and bleeding goals against.

The only thing nurse does better is skate and fight, and usually all his skating does is get him out of position because he’s too dumb to read the play

Reactions: phrenssoa

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
not really, I watched live as Vegas completely bullied Hughes and took his lunch money a few weeks back in Vegas...he couldn't handle the size of Vegas' forwards and got lit up

A few weeks back? Hughes has had no minus games against Vegas since December when he was a -1 in one game. Prior to that it was the 2021-22 season since he had a minus game.

In 12 games against VGK Hughes has 5 goals and 10 assists. Let the bullying continue.

Last edited:

LeBrun is a Clown

Sep 19, 2018

Rank these young defencemen: Miller, Dobson, Bouchard, Bynam, Hronek​

Rank the D

In this thread before the season started you had a pile of terrible hot takes.

Bouchard has had trouble getting any credit for his play since fans found out which NHL team selected him.

He's a good example to illuminate which fans let the team they support color their judgement on players around the league.
Dobson - all around legit
Miller - all around legit
Bouchard = legit - defense
Hronek - good all around, could be slightly bigger/better defensively
Byram - don’t like his injury history

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Chemistry with McDavid and Draisaitl and catching fire matters.

Remember the hype around RNH last year?

Whether this is sustainable is up to him, but I’m not ready to say he’s a top 5 offensive defenseman yet.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
My 2 cents, similar to the Canucks PDO convo (they were legit getting lucky relative to what they were, but what they were was genuinely better than the previous year), I think there’s people on both sides who could meet in the middle. He’s not Tyson Barrie, but realistically he does seem to benefit from teammates

Even Oilers fans (I lurk a few teams boards) were dumping on him a ton before Ekholm got his game back. If I remember correct his analytics saw a sizable jump last year pre and post Ekholm trade as well

He’s really good and I’m not saying I dont notice him, but Q Hughes and healthy Makar, Josi always stood out to me a lot more obviously individually

Reactions: Czechboy

boopronger

Aug 13, 2008
Wheres that canuck fan that said Bouchard isnt an nhl defenseman and would never play a game in the NHL?

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Tyson Barrie’s best season was 48 points, in how many games? Think you conveniently left that out.

What’s with Oilers fans obsession with pumping this guy up so much? Great season for sure, but numerous defencemen have had better seasons than him this year without the benefit of playing McDavid. Probably could have been kept on the Oilers board.
Specifically, which defensemen had better seasons, that didn’t get to play with other elite players?

Oilers fans like pumping this guy up because we haven’t seen a player with talent like his in a long time.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
This is one of those cases where +/- needs context. Bouchard is a liability defensively He is a bad defensive mistake waiting to happen. I don't think he will ever be good defensively and his cap hit is likely going to be a lot for an offense only guy. I like Bouchard but just not sure how much I value him for winning games.
What sort of context? Here is the NHL defensive leaders in goals for & against.

Attachments

• IMG_0803.jpeg
    IMG_0803.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 1

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
hope they sign him to a max deal. guy is not even close to top 10 D
Its tough. Yes hes flawed and yes he'll be likely overpaid. But I'm not sure you could name more than 10 defenders that if traded straight up for Bouchard (Ignoring handedness) that would make the current version of the Oilers a better team.

You have the obvious
Makar, Hughes, Fox, Heiskanen, Dahlin, Josi, Mcavoy, Pietrangelo. Omitting Hedman and Doughty because of age.

But the next tier with players like Morrisey, Sergachev, Lindholm, Hamilton, Theodore, Montour, Slavin etc. Woud a 1 for 1 trade for any of these players, or players in the secondary tier of defensemen in the league, make the oilers a better team? Would Slavins superior defensive play be a net benefit to the loss of Bouchards contributions on offense?

You just have to bite the bullet and pay him.

Reactions: KevinFinnerty

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Specifically, which defensemen had better seasons, that didn’t get to play with other elite players?

Oilers fans like pumping this guy up because we haven’t seen a player with talent like his in a long time.
I mean, all teams have good players but none have mcdavid and only a few have truly elite.

But Offensively? Hughes, Josi, Makar (plays with Mackinnon but he’s got more than enough credibility), Fox, Dobson and Morissey (not on great offensive teams). Honestly Matheson had a good season playing on a shit Montreal team, and there are a few others in his range too that would be likely be pushing ppg if they played on Edmonton.
Defensively is a whole new argument which I won’t get into.

Bouchard has definitely had a great season and oilers fans should be excited, but my point was that we’ve seen many players on Edmonton have career years only to do much worse the next year so the fans should take it easy with shoving him down our throat all season. And my Barrie comment was referring to the fact that I think Barrie would have put up similar points this year if he switched places with Bouchard.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
I mean, all teams have good players but none have mcdavid and only a few have truly elite.

But Offensively? Hughes, Josi, Makar (plays with Mackinnon but he’s got more than enough credibility), Fox, Dobson and Morissey (not on great offensive teams). Honestly Matheson had a good season playing on a shit Montreal team, and there are a few others in his range too that would be likely be pushing ppg if they played on Edmonton.
Defensively is a whole new argument which I won’t get into.

Bouchard has definitely had a great season and oilers fans should be excited, but my point was that we’ve seen many players on Edmonton have career years only to do much worse the next year so the fans should take it easy with shoving him down our throat all season. And my Barrie comment was referring to the fact that I think Barrie would have put up similar points this year if he switched places with Bouchard.
This is a hot take honestly. Barrie is nowhere close to Bouchard. The Oilers would not have been close to as good if you swapped them.

Makar has always played with MacKinnon & Rantanen. He’s good but suggesting he doesn’t greatly benefit from high end talent is asinine.

Fox plays with Panarin. Winnipeg has some solid forwards too.

Discrediting Oilers is what people love to do on here. We’re not saying he’s the best player in the NHL. He is very good though and will get better

Reactions: capazzo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad