Evan Bouchard will finish the season with a .ppg and 82 points, +34

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
Tyson Barrie’s best season was 48 points, in how many games? Think you conveniently left that out.

What’s with Oilers fans obsession with pumping this guy up so much? Great season for sure, but numerous defencemen have had better seasons than him this year without the benefit of playing McDavid. Probably could have been kept on the Oilers board.
I mean how do you not pump him up? hes gone from 40 points last year and a previous best of 43 to 83 points, Hes 24, which is right aroun when defensemen often take that step. He is one of if not the most improved players of the year so of course hes going to be talked about and pumped up, not just by Oilers fans.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
So only 23 guys have ever done this... this season ranks top 55 of ALL TIME... here is who he is tied with:

1713480911634.png

1713480884736.png

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I already pointed out that the Covid shorten season had Barrie on pace for 70 points. Considering the lower scoring environment, and worse Oilers team, and the fact that he played much less per game than Bouchard, it’s a pretty comparable season offensively. I still think Bouchard comes out ahead, but acting like Bouchard is doing something unheard for the Oilers is something I disagree with. We’ve seen time and again players have insane seasons playing with McDavid, but until they repeat (which they never do) then it’s more an indication on McDavid than the player.

Next season will roll around and everyone will forget about Hyman and Bouchard but Kane is going to have a career year and Oiler fans will be pushing him for the Hart.
So, to be clear, you are saying this is 'comparable'

Bouch, 81GP, 18G, 64A, 82pts, +34, 22:59 TOI, 1,01 .ppg
Barrie, 56GP, 8G, 40a, 48pts, +4, 21:23 TOI, .85 .ppg

Sidenote: Nurse averaged 25 a night and Barrie 21:23 in his season. Bouch led the team in TOI in his season.

You have a lot of asterisks for that North Division. I'm going to add one more, they only played the same 6 teams all regular season. Nurse had a career year too (we're still paying for it)

Barrie is 32 and has now had 10 complete seasons (including an amazing 85 games last season)... not once did he crack 60 points.

You said it is not something unheard of. Here are the top 10 Oilers season for points by a Dman:

1713481436063.png

Only 1 dman in Oilers history (and our 1980s were damn good) has had better seasons. That's special.

'Kane for Hart'.. hard to discuss hockey with someone who wants to make stuff up. Not one Oiler fan has said Bouch should win the Norris. That is something other posters make up out of thin air and then spend a lot of time disproving their own made up fact.

But, by all means, quote me an Oiler fan (and I know most of them) that said Bouch should be signed long term for 10 to 12 million or that he should win the Norris. Or that Kane should win the Hart. There is a quote function for a reason.

Reactions: capazzo

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
His play in his own zone still doesn't approach an acceptable standard for an NHLer, and likely won't until a coach tells him that he can either learn how to play the defence or he can enjoy the press box. It doesn't matter how many points you put up when you're as much of a defensive liability as this pylon.

Truly the kind of guy you love to play against but hate to have on your team.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
So according to Mr Bandana, right now Evan Bouchard is more “productive” than Nicklas Lidstrom ever was.
Just looked (link for all time seasons is a few up)... yup, LIdstrom's top season is 80 points.

I'd agree with the quotes on 'productive' as well... we know Bouch is nowhere near that level of excellence. Almost no one is. But he now does have a season with more points than him which is damn impressive. But, since some people like to make up stuff and argue it, NO ONE is saying Bouch is better to Lidstrom.lol

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
So, to be clear, you are saying this is 'comparable'

Bouch, 81GP, 18G, 64A, 82pts, +34, 22:59 TOI, 1,01 .ppg
Barrie, 56GP, 8G, 40a, 48pts, +4, 21:23 TOI, .85 .ppg

Sidenote: Nurse averaged 25 a night and Barrie 21:23 in his season. Bouch led the team in TOI in his season.

You have a lot of asterisks for that North Division. I'm going to add one more, they only played the same 6 teams all regular season. Nurse had a career year too (we're still paying for it)

Barrie is 32 and has now had 10 complete seasons (including an amazing 85 games last season)... not once did he crack 60 points.

You said it is not something unheard of. Here are the top 10 Oilers season for points by a Dman:

View attachment 854762

Only 1 dman in Oilers history (and our 1980s were damn good) has had better seasons. That's special.

'Kane for Hart'.. hard to discuss hockey with someone who wants to make stuff up. Not one Oiler fan has said Bouch should win the Norris. That is something other posters make up out of thin air and then spend a lot of time disproving their own made up fact.

But, by all means, quote me an Oiler fan (and I know most of them) that said Bouch should be signed long term for 10 to 12 million or that he should win the Norris. Or that Kane should win the Hart. There is a quote function for a reason.
Are you trying to prove my point for me? I know Barrie has never cracked 60 points yet he would have in that COVID season. Like many that play with McDavid, they’ll have one random career year that Oiler fans overhype. Barrie also would have been on that list you screenshotted, by the way. And like I said, worse team and lower scoring environment than this season.

The Kane thing is obviously facetious, but if you don’t think Oiler fans think Bouchard should be in the Norris convo then you’d be wrong. I’m not quoting random people and bring them into this stupid debate, but it should be easy enough for you to type Bouchard Norris in the search function and you’ll see peoppe saying he should be Top 3. It Will take you 10 seconds, since it’s all on the first page. Who knows what I would find if I actually took more than 10 seconds.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Are you trying to prove my point for me? I know Barrie has never cracked 60 points yet he would have in that COVID season. Like many that play with McDavid, they’ll have one random career year that Oiler fans overhype. Barrie also would have been on that list you screenshotted, by the way. And like I said, worse team and lower scoring environment than this season.

The Kane thing is obviously facetious, but if you don’t think Oiler fans think Bouchard should be in the Norris convo then you’d be wrong. I’m not quoting random people and bring them into this stupid debate, but it should be easy enough for you to type Bouchard Norris in the search function and you’ll see peoppe saying he should be Top 3. It Will take you 10 seconds, since it’s all on the first page. Who knows what I would find if I actually took more than 10 seconds.
So pace vs actual numbers, facetious arguments and won't back up anything you say with quotes. Have a nice day.

Reactions: Pip

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I look at RNH last year and how everyone raves he is essential to their success, and I wonder how much I can attribute Bouchard's offensive talent as "elite" and "essential" in a vacuum? McDavid will massively inflate anyone's stats. last year it was RNH, this year its Hyman and Bouchard. Lets see who next year's beneficiary will be? I will give him props for his ability to shoot hard from distance on net and 81 is a gaudy number. Maybe I watch Hughes every game and is spoiled, but he never wows me with his play making and decision making, and his defense is just glaringly bad esp without Ekholm. He needs to duplicate this year's prolific scoring next year to be counted upon the better defensemen in the league.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I look at RNH last year and how everyone raves he is essential to their success, and I wonder how much I can attribute Bouchard's offensive talent as "elite" and "essential" in a vacuum? McDavid will massively inflate anyone's stats. last year it was RNH, this year its Hyman and Bouchard. Lets see who next year's beneficiary will be? I will give him props for his ability to shoot hard from distance on net and 81 is a gaudy number. Maybe I watch Hughes every game and is spoiled, but he never wows me with his play making and decision making, and his defense is just glaringly bad esp without Ekholm. He needs to duplicate this year's prolific scoring next year to be counted upon the better defensemen in the league.

But Nurse's highest is 43 and he's played with McDavid far more.

Reactions: Czechboy

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I feel the best way to assess him is with .gifs of mistakes he made!

82 games of data and on the ice for considerably more goals for then against BUT here is a fun 1 second .gif of him getting beat one on one.lol

I heard he straight up fell over once when he was trying to skate

dude doesn't even belong in a beer league let alone the NHL

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I heard he straight up fell over once when he was trying to skate

dude doesn't even belong in a beer league let alone the NHL
I heard he can't even tie his own skates and McDavid does that for him too! Biggest piece of luggage in the NHL. Everyone has to carry him around!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I would never even consider Nurse's offense as Elite, that's what oilernation is suggesting Bouchard to be recognised as.
Since I had it up.. I was curious what the best season for a Nuck's D ever was.. sure enough, Hughes this season... Bouch's 82 would be the second highest ever for any Nuck's player in history

1713487715239.png

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I think there are very few teams who wouldn't welcome a d-man like Bouchard onto their roster. But boy, the 2018 draft crop of defensemen is as impressive as hell: Hughes, Dahlin, Bouchard, Dobson, plus guys like Miller, Durzi, and Romanov.

Does it rival the 2008 draft for defensemen? Doughty, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Carlson, Josi plus guys like Bogosian, Myers, and Del Zotto is a pretty impressive group as well.

Reactions: Raistlin

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
His play in his own zone still doesn't approach an acceptable standard for an NHLer, and likely won't until a coach tells him that he can either learn how to play the defence or he can enjoy the press box. It doesn't matter how many points you put up when you're as much of a defensive liability as this pylon.

Truly the kind of guy you love to play against but hate to have on your team.
Yeah, I'm sure opposing teams loved fishing all the pucks out of their net from the goals he helped make happen or scored himself.

take a lap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad