Evaluate the Sekac/DSP trade

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
We'll never see if DSP is gonna be more than a Travis Moen replacement with the way Therrien uses him. Not that Moen was bad; he was actually very good as a defensive 4th line forward. But he is not even trying to give DSP some extended looks in the top 6 prior to his recent injury. Had we kept Sekac, the story would also be the same.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We'll never see if DSP is gonna be more than a Travis Moen replacement with the way Therrien uses him. Not that Moen was bad; he was actually very good as a defensive 4th line forward. But he is not even trying to give DSP some extended looks in the top 6 prior to his recent injury. Had we kept Sekac, the story would also be the same.
If Sekac had joined the team this year instead of last it would've been so much better for him (and us.) Much more open system and the team is doing far better offensively. He's a skilled player and was used as a grinder and that just didn't make any sense at all.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I like both players. Both are projects. If I'd have to pick one, I would have invested the time to try to develop Sekac instead.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I like both players. Both are projects. If I'd have to pick one, I would have invested the time to try to develop Sekac instead.

You and 99% of the rest of the population but Therrien failed to make him a better person before seeing if he had top six potential on a team desperate for a top six winger. Makes total sense.

Que sera sera.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Sekac has a higher ceiling at this point but both players are likely to be at best role players if not out of the league completely in a few years.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Wrong man, Loonie is not as versatile as four quarters. Ever been to the budget grocery stores that make you put a quarter in the cart to use it? Loonie no help there. At the laundromat and want to put 12 minutes for 50cents on your dryer machine rather than 24 minutes with a loonie? Someone pan handling for change? rather give them one of my four quarters than a loonie.

Loonie & four quarters are not equal in there usage. Having said that DSP & Sekac are not equal in there usage, although they are both poor stats wise for sure.

I seriously don't know if you're being sarcastic or not. I really hope you are but sadly it seems like you're serious...

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Sekac has more upside but upside doesn't mean anything if you don't fulfill it. He's still spinning his wheels in Anaheim and he doesn't seem to have Boudreau's favor any more than he had Therrien's. He's scored 10 points since the trade. Of course DSP hasn't scored many more but considering people thought we were throwing away an offensive stud in the making for an out of shape grinder, I would have expected a lot more out of Sekac.

I like that DSP appears to have found his niche here, even if his niche is only a 4th line player.

I voted even. Of course there is still the chance that Sekac puts it together in Anaheim and becomes a solid contributor offensively (whereas I feel like that ship has sailed for DSP) so I guess Anaheim still has the edge on the future but like I said, the clock is ticking.

One thing is clear, so far the trade is not nearly as bad for us as people thought it would be.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Sekac has more upside but upside doesn't mean anything if you don't fulfill it. He's still spinning his wheels in Anaheim and he doesn't seem to have Boudreau's favor any more than he had Therrien's. He's scored 10 points since the trade. Of course DSP hasn't scored many more but considering people thought we were throwing away an offensive stud in the making for an out of shape grinder, I would have expected a lot more out of Sekac.

I like that DSP appears to have found his niche here, even if his niche is only a 4th line player.

I voted even. Of course there is still the chance that Sekac puts it together in Anaheim and becomes a solid contributor offensively (whereas I feel like that ship has sailed for DSP) so I guess Anaheim still has the edge on the future but like I said, the clock is ticking.

One thing is clear, so far the trade is not nearly as bad for us as people thought it would be.

This is the perfect answer.

As of now, Montreal has benefitted more from DSP's contribution than Anaheim has benefitted from Sekac's potential.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
This is the perfect answer.

As of now, Montreal has benefitted more from DSP's contribution than Anaheim has benefitted from Sekac's potential.
While that may be true, I don't think it's the right way to evaluate this trade. I look at the opportunity cost on this one and I don't like it. We mismanaged the guy and I think he could've been really good for us.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
While that may be true, I don't think it's the right way to evaluate this trade. I look at the opportunity cost on this one and I don't like it. We mismanaged the guy and I think he could've been really good for us.

He hasn't been really good for Anaheim, so what would lead you to conclude he would be really good for us aside from wishful thinking? Imagine the trade never happened and Sekac's career followed the exact same course in a Habs jersey - 10 points since February interspersed with injuries and healthy scratches. What would his trade value be now? We wouldn't even get a DSP back for him if that was the case.

Hell most people expected him to be better in Anaheim, playing with better offensive players and an offense-oriented coach.

Last edited:

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I always took more issue with the way Jiri was used than with the trade itself. DSP looked good this year, before getting hurt, but he'll never be a dynamic presence. Sekac hasn't done much in Anaheim.

In the end, it's likely a fair deal.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
He hasn't been really good for Anaheim, so what would lead you to conclude he would be really good for us aside from wishful thinking? .

How can you conclude he hasn't been good for the Ducks? He's been injured for over a month and started the season about as productive as the rest of his club who was one of the worst in the league to start the season.

He had an excellent regular season with the ducks after the trade last season. He didn't produce much in the POs, but he played solid.

Seems there is too much jumping to conclusions on all sides here.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He hasn't been really good for Anaheim, so what would lead you to conclude he would be really good for us aside from wishful thinking?
Well, first I'm not really "wishful" that he does well. All that would do is make me feel worse.

Secondly Anaheim has been a mess this season. Getzlaff has one goal (an empty netter) and Sekac has been hurt.

Finally, to address your point: What leads me to conclude that he'd have been good for us was that I had the opportunity to watch him play. He was initially successful and I liked his style of play. I don't think he ever would've been a star but I think he could've been a really good source of secondary scoring.
Hell most people expected him to be better in Anaheim, playing with better offensive players and an offense-oriented coach.
Most people expected Anaheim to be better period. And Sekac's been injured so I'm not sure how we've seen what he can do yet. Maybe he never pans out into anything but that doensn't mean he couldn't have done better here.

I could be dead wrong on the guy, but I liked him. And if we were playing this style of hockey last year I think he would've been far more successful. Guess we'll never know.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
How can you conclude he hasn't been good for the Ducks? He's been injured for over a month and started the season about as productive as the rest of his club who was one of the worst in the league to start the season.

He had an excellent regular season with the ducks after the trade last season. He didn't produce much in the POs, but he played solid.

Seems there is too much jumping to conclusions on all sides here.

"Excellent regular season" seems like a pretty big stretch. He was so "excellent" that he played his way into the press box by the end of that stretch? I mean yeah, Boudreau can be a wild card with his lineups, but still. It is what it is.

I'm not jumping to conclusions, I even said Anaheim still holds the potential "win" for the future if he puts it together. I'm just looking at what's actually transpired since the trade, which is not much.

This is pretty much exactly what I was saying though. Every Sekac discussion comes back to what he "could do". What he could have been with us. What he could be with the Ducks. Nobody ever granted DSP that much leniency, so I don't see why it has to be accorded to Sekac.

President XD

Apr 30, 2014
Sekac hasn't been a factor whatsoever in Anaheim while although DSP was less than stellar last season, he's been a part of the Habs great start with his play on the 4th line. Right now I think Habs win the trade by a small margin. They have addressed a need with that trade and if DSP can stay motivated for most of the year, I think Habs will be better off.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

Not that bad? We are currently playing a 4th liner on our top line and had a washed up Semin and his six goals last year in our top six to start the season. That's less goals than Sekac and even Parentau. You and I have a very different definition of not that bad because that's down right terrible.

He hasn't been really good for Anaheim, so what would lead you to conclude he would be really good for us aside from wishful thinking? Imagine the trade never happened and Sekac's career followed the exact same course in a Habs jersey - 10 points since February interspersed with injuries and healthy scratches. What would his trade value be now? We wouldn't even get a DSP back for him if that was the case.

No need for wishful thinking. Just look at the facts. Sekac out produced DSP during his time with the habs by a wide margin. DSP even got time on our top line last year did he not? Sekac and Eller were also our only bottom six players able to produce at all under last year's system. Under an offensive system they'd look even better.

Trying to gauge Sekac's effectiveness on a last place Ducks team where Getzlaf has one goal all season is extremely disingenuous. Sekac is the better player and it has nothing to do with wishful thinking.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Not that bad? We are currently playing a 4th liner on our top line and had a washed up Semin and his six goals last year in our top six to start the season. That's less goals than Sekac and even Parentau. You and I have a very different definition of not that bad because that's down right terrible.

No need for wishful thinking. Just look at the facts. Sekac out produced DSP during his time with the habs by a wide margin. DSP even got time on our top line last year did he not? Sekac and Eller were also our only bottom six players able to produce at all under last year's system. Under an offensive system they'd look even better.

Trying to gauge Sekac's effectiveness on a last place Ducks team where Getzlaf has one goal all season is extremely disingenuous. Sekac is the better player and it has nothing to do with wishful thinking.

I think you're exaggerating a little..DSP has 11 points in 46 games with the Habs and Sekac had 16 points in 50 games..If we include the playoffs, DSP has 14 points in 58 games.

Since the trade, Sekac has a combined 10 points in 37 games (playoffs included).

Neither of them has been setting the world on fire. Most people are falling in love with the way Sekac plays instead of the actual results.

I wasn't thrilled with the way DSP was playing last year, but I really like the way he started this year. I think he'll be very useful in the playoffs.

Anyways, we'll see what happens. Bergevin obviously wasn't a big fan of his if he gave up on him so quickly.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
This is pretty much exactly what I was saying though. Every Sekac discussion comes back to what he "could do". What he could have been with us. What he could be with the Ducks. Nobody ever granted DSP that much leniency, so I don't see why it has to be accorded to Sekac.
I can only speak for myself here but I thought DSP was underwhelming last year. I didn't see the potential in him that I saw in Sekac. For me, Sekac was a victim of a bad system and being used improperly. I never felt that way about DSP.

That being said, I think DSP has looked much better this season. I think it's probably a combination of the system and offseason regimen. I really want to see this guy do well and I'll be more than happy to be proved wrong on this. I don't see him as anymore than a grinder though whereas Sekac I felt might be able to crack the 2nd line.

I just liked Sekac. I thought he was going to be good. I thought the same thing about Perezhogin but Carbo hated the guy and he never panned out so who knows?

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I think you're exaggerating a little..DSP has 11 points in 46 games with the Habs and Sekac had 16 points in 50 games..If we include the playoffs, DSP has 14 points in 58 games.

Since the trade, Sekac has a combined 10 points in 37 games (playoffs included).

Neither of them has been setting the world on fire. Most people are falling in love with the way Sekac plays instead of the actual results.

I wasn't thrilled with the way DSP was playing last year, but I really like the way he started this year. I think he'll be very useful in the playoffs.

Anyways, we'll see what happens. Bergevin obviously wasn't a big fan of his if he gave up on him so quickly.

Roles and comparables.

In a controlled study you can only compare Sekac last year vs DSP last year on the same team, otherwise too many variables are introduced such as habs playing a more offensive system this year and DSP getting time on the top line. He scored two goals on two shots in the game against the Rangers by a couple of very very nice setups from Pacioretty and Plekanec. That's the kind of production that comes from playing with top line players yet Sekac still has more points than him while playing on the 3rd line.

Not sure why hototogisu is saying DSP has never been shown any leniency so why should Sekac? Sekac was a healthy scratch despite being one the bottom six best producers and never got time alongside Plekanec and Pacioretty. That's on the coach to find out the potential of his players instead of drawing conclusions. Even the biggest DSP supporters will tell you that DSP is not a top six player.

I think what it comes down to is management (therrien?) didn't like Sekac the person rather than Sekac the player. That's it that's all.

Last edited:

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Sekac has zero finish. Ask Ducks fans. They see little in him. He skates well, handles the puck well, does absolutely nothing with it.

DSP shows he knows how to work on his game instead of being the definition of insanity, doing the same failed play every time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad