European Players Coming To AHL this season

Chewy63

Jun 1, 2013
Canada
Always interested to see how euros do coming over to play the north american style game. Lets get a list going of some european coming overseas that will probably be playing in the AHL next season. I heard that BUF Joel Armia will most likely be joining the Rochester Americans this season. Any others?

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Off the top of my head, some may spend the year in Europe, some may make the NHL straight off, others could spend time in the AHL, it's hard to say.

ANA: Max Friberg
CGY: Reto Berra, Markus Granlund, Joni Ortio
CHI: Antti Raanta; M.Svedberg
CBJ: Ilari Melart
DET: Teemu Pulkkinen, Calle Jarnkrok, Mattias Backman
EDM: Oscar Klefbom, Frans Tuohimaa
MIN: Johan Gustafsson
MTL: Magnus Nyberg, Sebastien Collberg
NAS: Marek Mazanec, Mika Salomaki
NYR: Oscar Lindberg, Jesper Fast
PHI: Michael Raffl
SJS: Peter Emmanuelsson, Tomas Hertl
STL: J.Hakenpaa, N.Lundstrom
TBL: Nikita Nesterov,
TOR: Petter Granberg,
VAN: Joacim Ericsson, Henrik Tommernes,

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Off the top of my head, some may spend the year in Europe, some may make the NHL straight off, others could spend time in the AHL, it's hard to say.

ANA: Max Friberg
CGY: Reto Berra, Markus Granlund, Joni Ortio
CHI: Antti Raanta; M.Svedberg
CBJ: Ilari Melart
DET: Teemu Pulkkinen, Calle Jarnkrok, Mattias Backman
EDM: Oscar Klefbom, Frans Tuohimaa
MIN: Johan Gustafsson
MTL: Magnus Nyberg, Sebastien Collberg
NAS: Marek Mazanec, Mika Salomaki
NYR: Oscar Lindberg, Jesper Fast
PHI: Michael Raffl
STL: J.Hakenpaa, N.Lundstrom
TBL: Nikita Nesterov,
TOR: Petter Granberg,
VAN: Joacim Ericsson, Henrik Tommernes,

Bäckman is staying in Sweden for one more year. Alexei Marchenko is coming over though.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Petter Emmanuelsson (note double Ts)

Hertl is all but pencilled in for NHL roster spot; really doubt he'll be in AHL (at all, barring injury rehab stint).

(I was out of town so did not have a chance to see the Sharks development camp scrimmage two weeks ago, so can't comment on Emmanuelsson's skills/fit into depth chart.)

(Sharks 2013 1st round pick, Mirco Mueller, from Switzerland, would not play in AHL, but return to WHL if he does not make NHL roster -- and it appears the plan is for him to return to WHL.)

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I will interject some NA players for Milwaukee next year since I didn't find a thread.

Paul Crowder was a -15 for Wheeling, a team that had a 0.514 winning percentage last season. While he was the leading scorer with 62 points in 68 games (of 72 games played by the Nailers), that -15 tells me that he is a center that can’t or won’t play defense. His +/- was also the second worst on his team. Definitely not Nashville material! He needs to fix his game to be successful in Milwaukee. The 40 PIMs is fairly low for a man that must have played a lot of even strength time. I have hope for improvement. (Note: Crowder did play 5 games for Milwaukee last season while half of the Admirals were called up to Nashville due to injuries.)

Mathieu Tousignant (Tousi) had 77 PIMs in 28 games for Idaho with 4 goals and 15 assists with a +5 last season at center. He was a 3rd / 4th liner and he was good at it. He should play with Mike Liambas on the wing! Teams won't get the puck into the offense zone against those two. (Note: Tousi also played 5 games for St John's and had one assist with 17 PIMs.)

Norwegian

Pitbull Sniper
Aug 17, 2010
Asker, Norway
It's Wolves and according to team president Mike Gordan this is not true. So either he hasn't signed yet... or he isn't signing at all.....or they aren't ready to announce anything yet or at all.

According to the player himself he has signed and will be there for camp,
guess time will show... Its a two way deal so maybe they wont make it official before he actually makes the team?

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
guess time will show... Its a two way deal so maybe they wont make it official before he actually makes the team?

Who knows...all I can go by is what i've been told. Maybe he's been invited to camp as a non-roster invitee and they go from there. Don't forget that just because the player says it doesn't always make it true....it could all be in the perception of what was said by his agent. Maybe his agent has told him something that has been misunderstood.....again who knows at this point.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
About the Wolves possible signings, another possibility - sometimes teams don't want to announce a signing until visa issues are worked out.

I will interject some NA players for Milwaukee next year since I didn't find a thread.

There's an ongoing thread, which is updated with AHL contracts in this section.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007

According to Wolves gm wendell young he has in fact been signed, he will be coming here but will also play for Norway in this years Olympic games.

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
jyrki jokipakka (dallas stars) will likely be a top 4 dman in texas. has a good mind for the game and focuses more on defense.

i personally have some issues with his skating ability, but several others in the stars board are high on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad