European Escape Clause

Status
Not open for further replies.

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
I just have to rant about the European Escape Clause that Igor, Vitali and Yegor got. It makes me nuts that these guys have the opportunity to play in the greatest Hockey league in the world and they may leave if they need some seasoning in the minors. Come On!!! Commit!!!!

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I just have to rant about the European Escape Clause that Igor, Vitali and Yegor got. It makes me nuts that these guys have the opportunity to play in the greatest Hockey league in the world and they may leave if they need some seasoning in the minors. Come On!!! Commit!!!!

It's not that simple. They go from earning a 7-figure salary to potentially earning 70k in the AHL if they are sent down.

Finances matter. Players have commitments. They have bills to pay. Bills based on their previous payslip

*Rykov's contract only has an EAC in the 2nd year by the way

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
That's how my great great grandpa Jack died. He won a ticket for this Southhampton cruise in a poker game and got a chance to ride in the greatest cruise ship ever built in his days. So infallible that they skimped on the life vests and the emergency rafts. He ended up drowning when they hit an iceberg. Luckily my great great grandma survived and lived to tell the tale.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
That's how my great great grandpa Jack died. He won a ticket for this Southhampton cruise in a poker game and got a chance to ride in the greatest cruise ship ever built in his days. So infallible that they skimped on the life vests and the emergency rafts. He ended up drowning when they hit an iceberg. Luckily my great great grandma survived and lived to tell the tale.
There was room on that door, dammit.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
first off we don't want any top kids playing in hartford right now...second if they aren't good enough to make our terrible team then who cares. come back and try again the next year

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's called a European Assignment Clause, and there's no indication anyone will use it. I worry about how it might impact starts if Shesterkin indicates he would consider using it, but otherwise, it's a collectively bargained tool for players to use to protect their interests.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
It's not that simple. They go from earning a 7-figure salary to potentially earning 70k in the AHL if they are sent down.

Finances matter. Players have commitments. They have bills to pay. Bills based on their previous payslip

*Rykov's contract only has an EAC in the 2nd year by the way
Wow, that’s big. I could see him playing the AHL for a lot of this season in that case.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Wow, that’s big. I could see him playing the AHL for a lot of this season in that case.

For KHL players it's a big risk financially. Sure, playing in the NHL for 925k is great, but that AHL salary hurts when you are coming off a KHL deal where you earned almost 10 times that in most cases. Nobobdy would take a pay cut without some assurances. That's all it is.

I just don't agree with the "They should just commit, instead of hanging on to these clauses" take. It's a lot more nuanced than that.

Reactions: East Coast Bias

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
FYI: Buchnevich had an EAC in his entry level contract as well. Never used it

When Slats was around at least — all guys had this opportunity anyway. I don’t know who is was in relation too, but it wasn’t that many years ago and Slats was very clear, think it was an interview with Brooks, just say the word, we will never force anyone to be here that doesn’t want to be here. Thought it was a sound message.

Further, any NHL/AHL player can — always — get out of his contract by retiring.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
When Slats was around at least — all guys had this opportunity anyway. I don’t know who is was in relation too, but it wasn’t that many years ago and Slats was very clear, think it was an interview with Brooks, just say the word, we will never force anyone to be here that doesn’t want to be here. Thought it was a sound message.

Further, any NHL/AHL player can — always — get out of his contract by retiring.
Yes, we've always accommodated guys that want to pursue other opportunities. Whether it's moving guys like Byers or Kundratek, Pedrie recently, or letting go of guys like Andersson, Kovacs, Stromwall, and a few others, we've never tried to twist anyone's arm to stay and be unhappy.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It's called a European Assignment Clause, and there's no indication anyone will use it. I worry about how it might impact starts if Shesterkin indicates he would consider using it, but otherwise, it's a collectively bargained tool for players to use to protect their interests.
well said

Just because they have an EAC doesn't mean they are going to exercise it at the first hint of adversity.
agree

-----
however, while no one should feel a need for immediate panic mode, this behooves us to do all we can to give the guys we want most the best opportunities to succeed. Translation: if a guy isn't cutting it like Poolparty in EDM, that's on him. But in the instant situation as applies to Rangers, it means creating enough minutes.

This means moving out not only deadwood [Smith] and entrenched vets [Staal] but excess [Namest.] for whatever works and even, if there is enuf on the table, for useful producers [Skjei, Strome, Buch] or even possibly potential guys [Lias, Howden].

That kills 2 birds with one stone.
Gets a necessary jump on preparing for expansion draft, 'cause it will not be as easy to make moves later on, AND
and it creates roster space for our emerging LDs, etc.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
European Escape Clause
Great band name
Makes me nuts that some guy on a forum for hockey actually still believes the NHL is sooooo high up on a pedestal that guys should languish in the AHL in a foreign country, riding a shitty bus everywhere when they have an opportunity to make millions of dollars more in their home country around their families. I dont get it. How can you not think of any of this? How do you actually still hold the NHL up in THAT high a regard as if it's this magical, prestigious institution?

You gotta get out in the world more

Reactions: UnSandvich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad