GWT: Europa/Conference League - Knockouts

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Excellent allround game from Brugge and completely neutralised PAOK for 90 minutes. First European semi final in 30 years I think (and for Belgian clubs in general) against Fiorentina.
And i think they got a chance for sure.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
After 5 straight losses, OM wins the game 1-0 and we're going to the penalty shootout.

If OM loses, that penalty in the first leg will be once again a ref deciding a tie.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Olympiakos progress on penalty kicks over Fener, keeping their hopes of 'hosting' the Conference final alive, doubt they can get by Villa but you never know

The Marseille-Atalanta tie should be interesting, both teams need to win the competition to get a CL spot (Atalanta still has chances in the league now that Serie A gets an extra spot) but its Roma's to lose who currently are in 5th.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Kinda nuts that Aston Villa is the last English team left in continental competition.

Not that it's entirely surprising they moved on, but it's shocking that they're the only ones.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well, with FFP and sustainability rules, what does EPL expext? Of course their clubs can't compete with such artificial restraints to their spending.

:sarcasm:

It's what they get for prioritizing the fans over the money. No self respecting star will go to that backwater...

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Serie A confirmed to have five CL clubs next season as they will win the coefficient table; its possible they will have 6 clubs in the CL next season should one of Atalanta/Roma win the EL and fail to finish in the top 5.

Particularly interesting considering their absence from the CL QFs

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Particularly interesting considering their absence from the CL QFs
I might reconsider the Spurs thing if Ange keeps Drăgușin stapled to the bench, but I haven't liked how Arsenal play football since the late 90s/early 2000s. At least the likes of Spurs or Liverpool are entertaining to watch.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I might reconsider the Spurs thing if Ange keeps Drăgușin stapled to the bench, but I haven't liked how Arsenal play football since the late 90s/early 2000s. At least the likes of Spurs or Liverpool are entertaining to watch.

Wrong post :) Anyway, to each their own, but I started following Arsenal in particular quite precisely because I liked the way they played, quick-passing and attacking*, in contrast to the Chelseas of the world. Wenger's style had stagnated somewhat by the end of it all, but even so that philosophy shone through, though its execution was rather lacking. Now under Arteta again, I'd say we play an attractive style. Not so much the other night against Bayern, but Liverpool weren't exactly at their most glorious in this last tie either.

*Rosický helped, though i really only started following the EPL at the end of his time there

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Serie A confirmed to have five CL clubs next season as they will win the coefficient table; its possible they will have 6 clubs in the CL next season should one of Atalanta/Roma win the EL and fail to finish in the top 5.
Did they change the rules with this new iteration to allow 6 teams?

I know in the past 5 was the max even if you had a league win the CL and EL but not qualify domestically. In the case the 4th place team would have been dropped to Europa.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Did they change the rules with this new iteration to allow 6 teams?

I know in the past 5 was the max even if you had a league win the CL and EL but not qualify domestically. In the case the 4th place team would have been dropped to Europa.

Yeah, this will be the first time a league can send 6 teams to the CL, and IIRC it's only if they get that 5th spot through their performances this season.

So even if a league won both the EL & CL with teams that weren't in their top 4, they would only get 5 spots if they weren't one of the two leagues to earn a 5th spot. I assume the 4th seed would then drop to the EL, but I'm not sure, maybe it's the EL winner who lost out in that scenario.

WSD

Feb 26, 2016
Kinda nuts that Aston Villa is the last English team left in continental competition.

Not that it's entirely surprising they moved on, but it's shocking that they're the only ones.
As a Villa fan it's more surprising we won yesterday given how poorly the players performed. If it weren't for Emi yesterday that would've been a rout for Lille

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Rule Note : Martinez got a yellow during the match and another during the penalty shootout.
This is however not a red card as those two things are different.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Rule Note : Martinez got a yellow during the match and another during the penalty shootout.
This is however not a red card as those two things are different.
It would have been such a stain on the game to have him sent off for that yellow so I’m glad the rule was changed a few years ago.

WSD

Feb 26, 2016
That ref was a little too trigger happy to pull out the yellow cards for my taste. I understand Martinez is well known for his antics so I'm not surprised he took a second yellow but even the TNT play by play crew were puzzled at whether the ref gave him a second yellow or a warning.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I don't think so, unless it caused him to hit the maximum number of yellows for the knockouts.

Any news on this?

Didn't see anything on Villa's website, but I remember seeing mentioned elsewhere that he indeed accumulated enough yellows to be suspended for the first leg of the SFs, if the penalty shootout yellow is included in the total number.

But it wasn't certain if that yellow is counted or not when considering suspension.

Based on UEFA rules I'd think he isn't suspended, but I'm not sure:

Article 52; "In addition, all yellow cards expire on completion of the quarter-finals. They are not carried forward to the semi-finals."

UEFA Documents

Last edited:

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
...but I haven't liked how Arsenal play football since the late 90s/early 2000s. At least the likes of Spurs or Liverpool are entertaining to watch.
Never heard someone complain about Arsenal being boring... usually it's the opposite - try to play pretty football and end up losing because of it. The teams in the early Emirates era were toothless and yet it seemed like they scored the goal of the year every single year.

They're more robotic/regimented now under Arteta, but they scored the 2nd most goals in the league last year and are 2nd again this year.

Reactions: maclean

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad