GWT: Europa/Conference League - Knockouts

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I think Klopp's changes just killed any chances Liverpool had for a comeback. How do you take out Salah and Diaz at this point in the game, and keep Gakpo and Jones on? I'd have gone with a front four of Salah - Nunez - Jota - Diaz, instead of Jota isolated on the right and a paceless Gakpo on the left. And now Gomez is coming on for Trent ffs when they need two goals... that's basically throwing in the towel

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think Klopp's changes just killed any chances Liverpool had for a comeback. How do you take out Salah and Diaz at this point in the game, and keep Gakpo and Jones on? I'd have gone with a front four of Salah - Nunez - Jota - Diaz, instead of Jota isolated on the right and a paceless Gakpo on the left. And now Gomez is coming on ffs when they need two goals...
He didn't get his tactics across very well. I've noticed him screaming for them to play 4-4-2 but they're not doing that.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Leverkusen is easily in control currently. Will be interesting to see if they're gonna go for the goal to remain unbeaten or take the 1-0 loss to win the tie.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
The broadcaster on this WH/Leverkusen game seems to be stongly pro-Hammers. To be expected I guess, from an English broadcaster on an English language broadcast.

Frimpong scores for Leverkusen. The late goal kings strike again.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I almost started to wonder if Leverkusen's streak was going to end, but of course they score a late goal. It's Leverkusen.

Kudos to West Ham though, a heroic effort without their best player.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Klopp is a great manager but he cannot make change to his tactics from game to game. Today was disgusting, Atalanta basically dared LFC to take risk with basic man on man defending but LFC rather pass back again and again basically providing nothing offensively. Horrible run of games and essentially throwing the whole season away from that bad week.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Leverkusen's late game goal scoring is insane. Riding a whole season of it is pretty lucky

They score a lot of goals early in games too...but if they don't, they just exhaust teams and sooner or later Flo, Grimaldi, or Frimpong will create a goal.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Obviously of it is luck of course, but Leverkusen's opponents tend to be pretty gassed out after 90 minutes because of how they control the game, which is why they score so many late goals.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So Lille torched Villa in both games in terms of xG but lose on penalties. They were the better team in both games I'd say. Tough.

OM toying with Benfica but has had trouble scoring. We're going to OT with more than double the xG. The obvious penalty not called in their favor in the first leg is making a big difference right now.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
So the only English team left in the top 4 of European competitions is Aston Villa in the conference league. Lol

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: luiginb and cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The broadcaster on this WH/Leverkusen game seems to be stongly pro-Hammers. To be expected I guess, from an English broadcaster on an English language broadcast.

Frimpong scores for Leverkusen. The late goal kings strike again.

Yeah we're all still the enemy on some level, otherwise they don't let you use that BBC voice :sarcasm:

So the only English team left in the top 4 of European competitions is Aston Villa in the conference league. Lol

Mightiest League in the world!

Reactions: Jack Straw

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It's not wrong.

AP-12177857.jpg

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Klopp is a great manager but he cannot make change to his tactics from game to game. Today was disgusting, Atalanta basically dared LFC to take risk with basic man on man defending but LFC rather pass back again and again basically providing nothing offensively. Horrible run of games and essentially throwing the whole season away from that bad week.
Yeah he lost us this tie. Really no other way of putting it.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Excellent allround game from Brugge and completely neutralised PAOK for 90 minutes. First European semi final in 30 years I think (and for Belgian clubs in general) against Fiorentina.

Reactions: cgf

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Serie A confirmed to have five CL clubs next season as they will win the coefficient table; its possible they will have 6 clubs in the CL next season should one of Atalanta/Roma win the EL and fail to finish in the top 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad