Euro: Euro Qualifiers Part II

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
N Macedonia have more than enough to defeat Georgia... even in Georgia.

Slovakia an N Ireland could go to Pens.

Iceland and Hungary is a heck of a matchup...tough to call.

Serbia are far and away better than Scotland but why is M Savic coming off the bench in the 80th minute? He saved their bacon...that 2nd goal was a masterpiece.

Pretty unhappy with the Irish getting knocked out...had their chances...

Reactions: Rob

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Mentioned it in the other thread but Georgia-Macedonia are in the same NL group, last month they played a 1:1 draw in Tbilisi and they play again in Skopje on Wednesday, pretty interesting dynamic, similar to Scotland-Israel. Macedonia has some decent players coming through but Georgia are tough to beat at home and while they may not have household names most of their players are regulars in a decent Russian league

I agree the toughest to call is Hungary-Iceland. Hungary to me did not look impressive in qualifying but have gotten some good results this year including winning in Turkey. Iceland are regressing and tend to be poor away from home but they looked decent against Romania. I honestly prefer to see Hungary as Iceland is pretty much a ‘park the bus’ team and the novelty has worn off for me. Hungary will host their games in Euro so maybe they can spring an upset in a game but regardless these two will be placed in that tough group with France, Portugal, Germany

On paper Serbia and Slovakia are favorites in their tie but Slovakia will have it tougher since they are going to Belfast. I don’t enjoy watching NIR play but even better teams than Slovakia struggle there (however potentially no fans could nullify this). If Serbia play like they did against Norway I don’t see Scotland having a chance, problem is Serbia is such a Jekyll and Hyde side and all the pressure is on them now while in Norway they played as underdogs

Last edited:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Without going any deeper into the politics of it, whatever happens with Covid, there's no way UEFA can have games hosted in Baku. They'll probably come up with a different set-up after the qualifiers are finished.

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
I'm Hungarian and Slovak. It would be mental for me if both countries made the euros.
Even when one makes it. It's a massive deal for me and my family but both is just next level.

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
Even tho I am from a small country, I'm not a fan of this new system. They're basically saying that weaker teams than those above in rankings/standings are going to make the Euros. I get the reason why they are doing this, but meh. Latvia qualified for EURO2004 w the ''usual'' system [group qualifications + playoffs], if they get in any of the upcoming Euros thru the Nations League system - it will not be comparable, not even close. /shrug/

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Georgia-Macedonia is cagey as expected, Georgia have had more opportunities but half chances at best, Pandev had a header that somewhat forced an unnecessary diving save by Loria (as the English commentators say, one for the cameras)

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Macedonia take the lead, Macedonia with some nice combination play on the corner of the penalty area and Pandev was played in for the finish. Georgia look defeated already, the players collapsed to the floor despite over 30 minutes to go

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Serbia is not consistent enough hence their weird qualification history where they either win their group have disasterous results. Scotland has been getting results under Clarke so won’t be surprised if they win here

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
The way Serbia is playing reminds me of Croatia in their dark years, no ideas despite a decent squad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad