Prospect Info: Ethan Miedema, LW, Kingston (OHL) 109 OA, 2023

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Here are highlights of a 4 goal game he had this season.

Skating does seem to be an area he needs to improve on but his stickhandling and shot looks good for a man his size.

A bit of chatter that it could be a combination of power/strength and also conditioning. He's going to be really interesting to look in on, I know I ignored a lot of the OHL this year because reasons. Now I'll be back watching to see how things work for him at least.

Reactions: CaliSabresfan24

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Can he do the Kozak route? Play this year in Kingston then go to Roch the following season?
He'll be too young (Kozak made it by 3 days), but to me he's the type of player who will benefit from age 19 and 20 seasons in the OHL anyways. I'd like him playing a scoring power forward's game trying to impose his will against his peers instead of getting stuck in a bad AHL role too early. Plus Roch will still be jammed full of young forwards for 24-25.

He's super raw and baby-faced, but to me that's a plus that the FO targeted. He seems like a good athlete who should be able to pack on core and leg strength to speed up his feet. I think he has a better potential athletic toolbox than Nadeau for example. He was 4th overall in his OHL draft, so I like the bet that he just hasn't caught up to the physical level of the league yet. But his shot looks great at camp, heavy with deceptive releases from different shooting pockets.

Hopefully Kingston doesn't hinder his development because I think he's a great lotto ticket.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
We need Rob Ray to call a Kingston game. Miedema and Pieniniemi would drive him insane.
EHuVlUVXYAA8lX7

RoyalOverNavy

Feb 25, 2023
I support this type of pick from GMKA and staff.
The clips suggest Miedema is loaded with talent (high ceiling) that could come together in a big, gangly body someday.
I want GMKA and staff taking big swings in the later rounds of the draft.
The Komarov kid comes across as something similar to me.
I believe if the 2022 draft class went through a re-draft today, Komarov would go much higher than No.134 overall.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

Ethan Miedema, LW

3/22/2005 | 6-foot-4 | 208 pounds | Shoots left

Drafted: No. 109 in 2023

Analysis: Miedema is a highly skilled winger with NHL size. He has the hands to beat defenders at a high clip due to his wingspan and puckhandling skill. He is creative as a handler but can also make plays, has good scoring instincts and a solid wrist shot. Miedema’s major flaw is his skating. He has a heavy, and at times sluggish, skating stride that will limit him as he climbs levels. His compete is OK. I think he’s engaged enough but I wouldn’t call it an asset and I’d like to see more interior offense given his size.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Is Shane Wright going back to juniors AGAIN?!

It’s old. It’s from January before he got sent back. I just find it interesting that the Sabres are the third organization that Miedema and McCarthy are a part of. Both were drafted by Windsor in 2021, both traded to the Frontenacs, and now both were drafted by the Sabres.

Reactions: ottsabrefan

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
It’s old. It’s from January before he got sent back. I just find it interesting that the Sabres are the third organization that Miedema and McCarthy are a part of. Both were drafted by Windsor in 2021, both traded to the Frontenacs, and now both were drafted by the Sabres.

Didn't notice the date. Thanks

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
this kid could have potentially the biggest breakthrough out of any of our prospects this season for under the radar players that maybe haven’t been overly hyped .

This kids potential is through the roof and being a Sabres fan for the first time in 12 years never felt so good

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
this kid could have potentially the biggest breakthrough out of any of our prospects this season for under the radar players that maybe haven’t been overly hyped .

This kids potential is through the roof and being a Sabres fan for the first time in 12 years never felt so good
He looked extremely slow at Sabres prospects camp, hopefully he can continue to improve his skating.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Trying to spend some time on the Kingston-North Bay series to get more of a look at this kid. Clearly still a lot of growth for him physically and his season wasn't great - 6th on his team in scoring with only 41 points in his D+1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad