Value of: Ethan Bear for a Forward (<22 years old)

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Bear - smallish + stocky offensive RHD. Good production in the AHL and is 21 years old. Big shot, great first pass, really good pp qb. Can throw some big hits and has improved a lot defensively.

We have a logjam of good d prospects and will need to move at least one to make room for Bouchard and Samurukov coming in from junior.

What we are looking for: young forward (sameish age as Bear) putting up good numbers in the AHL and could possibly make our roster for next season. Added points for goal scorers that are right handed.
Could we possibly grab a guy like Taylor Raddysh? Maybe Terry/Steel. Guryanov? I'm just spitballing some names. We could maybe add a 3rd or something and get a better prospect.

Who do you have that might be expendable for a young offensive RHD?

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Bear - smallish + stocky offensive RHD. Good production in the AHL and is 21 years old. Big shot, great first pass, really good pp qb. Can throw some big hits and has improved a lot defensively.

We have a logjam of good d prospects and will need to move at least one to make room for Bouchard and Samurukov coming in from junior.

What we are looking for: young forward (sameish age as Bear) putting up good numbers in the AHL and could possibly make our roster for next season. Added points for goal scorers that are right handed.
Could we possibly grab a guy like Taylor Raddysh? Maybe Terry/Steel. Guryanov? I'm just spitballing some names. We could maybe add a 3rd or something and get a better prospect.

I think the sens make good trading partners for the oilers in this situation. We have Balcers, Chlapik, Batherson, Brown and Formenton all battling for the spots next year, while we only have Potentially one or two LD to make it (Lajoie and Brannstrom). Obviously Brown and Batherson are off the table, but would a Chlapik or Balcers swap potentially make sense? Balcers looks more promising and probably has 40 point potential as soon as next year, but the sens need to get some RD prospects in the system and we have enough young wingers.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I think the sens make good trading partners for the oilers in this situation. We have Balcers, Chlapik, Batherson, Brown and Formenton all battling for the spots next year, while we only have Potentially one or two LD to make it (Lajoie and Brannstrom). Obviously Brown and Batherson are off the table, but would a Chlapik or Balcers swap potentially make sense? Balcers looks more promising and probably has 40 point potential as soon as next year, but the sens need to get some RD prospects in the system and we have enough young wingers.
Balcers and Chlapik are interesting... There could be a deal to be made here.

What's your thoughts on the potential upside of these guys?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Too old for what we'd be looking for imo.

Someone less than or exactly 22 years old should be the target.

Could we maybe add a little bit to Bear and get Max Jones?
What about a guy like Kiefer Sherwood? Recently signed out of college, spent half the year in the NHL, only went down because we have so many wingers. Perfectly capable NHLer.

edit: Just realized he's older than you said but he's also less of an unknown at the NHL level

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
What about a guy like Kiefer Sherwood? Recently signed out of college, spent half the year in the NHL, only went down because we have so many wingers. Perfectly capable NHLer.

edit: Just realized he's older than you said but he's also less of an unknown at the NHL level
Idk... 10 points in almost 50 games as a 23 almost 24 year old.

Polite pass on that one

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I personally wouldn't trade Bear though, unless we get a RHD in the draft.

Reactions: thadd

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I personally wouldn't trade Bear though, unless we get a RHD in the draft.

You may be right . Need to move away from that can not get the punk moving in the right direction . We have the pieces coming to do that .

Klefbom Bouchard . In another year
Nurse Larsson
Jones Bear

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I am curious as to why Brown would be off the table? Bear probably has a higher probability of being an impact player in the NHL than Brown. I am not saying the Sens should make that deal but I wonder why the Oilers should settle for less. It's not like they have so many RHD that they need to move Bear. Bear is a former WHL defenseman of the year, is a top pairing RHD in the AHL and actually looked quite good in his short stint in Edmonton. His defense needed work, which he has improved this year. But the kid has big league offensive skills for sure. To be honest I would not trade Bear for Brown.

Trading Bear for either Balcers or Chlapik probably makes no sense for the Oilers. They already have several players of that calibre in the system. It would be much smarter to keep the RHD.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

Bear could probably return a good young forward but those guys might be a bit ambitious.

Reactions: wintersej

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I am curious as to why Brown would be off the table? Bear probably has a higher probability of being an impact player in the NHL than Brown. I am not saying the Sens should make that deal but I wonder why the Oilers should settle for less. It's not like they have so many RHD that they need to move Bear. Bear is a former WHL defenseman of the year, is a top pairing RHD in the AHL and actually looked quite good in his short stint in Edmonton. His defense needed work, which he has improved this year. But the kid has big league offensive skills for sure. To be honest I would not trade Bear for Brown.

Trading Bear for either Balcers or Chlapik probably makes no sense for the Oilers. They already have several players of that calibre in the system. It would be much smarter to keep the RHD.

Because Brown’s ceiling is higher than Bear’s, and since about January, Brown appears to finally be getting “it”.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Bear+Benson+2nd round pick for kap/johnsson. Probably unrealistic cuz the leafs would rather try and get one single asset in the form of a rhd then a bunch of nice but unproven ones. The oilers prob dont want to give up benson after his strong AHL rookie year. Just wondering value wise how does it seem from oilers fans perspectives.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Bear+Benson+2nd round pick for kap/johnsson. Probably unrealistic cuz the leafs would rather try and get one single asset in the form of a rhd then a bunch of nice but unproven ones. The oilers prob dont want to give up benson after his strong AHL rookie year. Just wondering value wise how does it seem from oilers fans perspectives.

I personally wouldn't do that as an Oilers fan. I think Benson can become as good as Kap/Johnsson.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I personally wouldn't do that as an Oilers fan. I think Benson can become as good as Kap/Johnsson.
That's fair. I project him pretty well too. He is similar but I think a bit better as a prospect to our Jeremy bracco. Benson plays LW I think so had some interest. He is a guy who next year will be able to give 35-40 points on a cheap ELC. Very nice pick by the oilers and developed well within their farm system.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Looks terrible. Leafs aren't going to get a return like that to dump salary.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Looks terrible. Leafs aren't going to get a return like that to dump salary.
Kap/johnsson are not salary dumps. If we are trading them it's to get back missing pieces on our roster like a top 4 rhd or a collection of young pieces that have the potential to either be turned into that rhd or be developed into one down the line. Still can see why the Oilers dont go for the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad