Espo # 12 !?

Torspo21

mailataikuri
Dec 15, 2009
Oijärvi
torspo21.blogspot.com
Just saw this photo in Twitter, and became curious about it. First its the number 12 Phil Esposito is wearing. I always thought he had been # 77 and only # 77 in the NY Rangers. Also I´ve never seen a Rangers jersey with that 50th year (or something like that) badge. Can anyone tell is this picture from the regular NHL-game, pre-season game or what?
D1k8TTeX0AEiLut.jpg

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Just saw this photo in Twitter, and became curious about it. First its the number 12 Phil Esposito is wearing. I always thought he had been # 77 and only # 77 in the NY Rangers. Also I´ve never seen a Rangers jersey with that 50th year (or something like that) badge. Can anyone tell is this picture from the regular NHL-game, pre-season game or what?
D1k8TTeX0AEiLut.jpg

I have that issue and never noticed that.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Just when I thought I knew everything. Here's a excerpt from a Hockey Writers 2015 article:

"When Espo began his career with Chicago and Boston, spanning from 1963-1976, he sported number seven. His time with New York was a little different. Upon being traded, Phil switched between 12 and five, before settling on 77 from 1976-1981."

Other nuggets from the article: Gordie Howe was number 17 for his first few seasons; Sakic was number 88 when his career began in Quebec City; Rocket Richard was number 15 for a couple of seasons; Guy Lafleur was number 44 briefly in New York.

Not So Lucky Numbers

Gr8northscout

Aug 29, 2012
Ontario
I think in the film about Maurice Richard called "The Rocket" there is a mention in the film that after sticking with the Habs in training camp, he does ask to wear #9.???
But can't recall what number he was given as a rookie.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Just when I thought I knew everything. Here's a excerpt from a Hockey Writers 2015 article:

"When Espo began his career with Chicago and Boston, spanning from 1963-1976, he sported number seven. His time with New York was a little different. Upon being traded, Phil switched between 12 and five, before settling on 77 from 1976-1981."

Other nuggets from the article: Gordie Howe was number 17 for his first few seasons; Sakic was number 88 when his career began in Quebec City; Rocket Richard was number 15 for a couple of seasons; Guy Lafleur was number 44 briefly in New York.

Not So Lucky Numbers

How the heck I have never heard of ANY of this?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
These are surprising, with one exception: To this day, I still remember Sakic as #88. I followed him a lot his first few months in the League. I remember later seeing his new number and being kind of disappointed.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
D1k8TTeX0AEiLut.jpg
Pretty sure it's a regular season game. He wore 12 right after he was traded to the NYR. The Rangers wore that patch all season to celebrate their 50th anniversary (was a pretty bad year).

I never remember him wearing #5. Interesting fact....he hurt his ankle in his first game with the Rangers...he pretty much struggled the rest of that year with it.

Reactions: Tarantula

scribe114

Jul 12, 2005
Detroit, Michigan
I think in the film about Maurice Richard called "The Rocket" there is a mention in the film that after sticking with the Habs in training camp, he does ask to wear #9.???
But can't recall what number he was given as a rookie.

His first daughter weighed 9 lbs, that was the reason he asked for 9.

Gordie Howe switched from 17 to 9 because the players with the lower numbers got the lower berthing on the Trains.

Bobby Hull went through 16 and 7 before getting number 9 because of Howe.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
These are surprising, with one exception: To this day, I still remember Sakic as #88. I followed him a lot his first few months in the League. I remember later seeing his new number and being kind of disappointed.

He wore 88 because Alain Cote wore 19 that year. Cote left so Sakic switched. Oddly enough a new rookie took 88 a couple years later, Owen Nolan.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He wore 88 because Alain Cote wore 19 that year. Cote left so Sakic switched. Oddly enough a new rookie took 88 a couple years later, Owen Nolan.

... and if memory serves Nolan gave up 11 so Lindros could have it when he signed, but he obviously never did.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Pretty sure it's a regular season game. He wore 12 right after he was traded to the NYR. The Rangers wore that patch all season to celebrate their 50th anniversary (was a pretty bad year).

I never remember him wearing #5. Interesting fact....he hurt his ankle in his first game with the Rangers...he pretty much struggled the rest of that year with it.

Searched around a bit and found a few photos of him with NYR wearing 12, none with 5 though.

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
My guess had been that someone wanted a picture of him in Ranger garb just before he had suited up for them, and so put his head on some other Ranger's body in a composite.

We know they did that with hockey cards (some terror of seeing a player in an outdated uniform after a trade).

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL

Not So Lucky Numbers
Another interesting one is Bobby hull as 16. He wore 16 to the 2010 banner raising as that was his number in 61

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad