Espn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozen North

Healthy Scratch
Oct 8, 2002
OK
Visit site
Does anyone at Sportscenter even know that the WJC happened. Not one single mention of it. :dunno:

Considering how much "Panger" blabbed on and on about it during the Wild/Blues game, I thought they might show a highlight or two.

Don't get me wrong, I love the USA, but the hockey coverage in this country is despicable. :shakehead

Gophers12

Apr 5, 2002
Visit site
They showed highlights on the 6 o'clock show. It was the last thing they showed. They showed highlights in the openning and then waited untill the last minute to show anything.

Kenadyan

Jul 23, 2003
Asheboro, NC
Visit site
Ironically, there was an article writtten in "The Hockey News" about 10 years ago on this very subject. I don't remember the author, but the point was that one year the U.S. could win this tournament, and no one in the U.S. would know about it as there is no U.S. coverage of the WJHC. I have heard that there were NO U.S. media credentials issued/requested by any U.S. news outlet for this year's tournament.

What little highlights ESPN showed were from TSN (basically, ESPN's Canadian affiliate).

J F M

Jun 22, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Not surprised in the least. IMO until the U.S. becomes THE supreme hockey power in the world, it will languish far behind other sports. This win will not do much if anything at all to make it more visible on the tube, or newsprint. I expect another sparsely viewed (by the paying public) tourney next year in North Dakota.

Robert Paulson*

It's truly pathetic how bad ESPN covers hockey. Too bad I can't get TSN in western PA. At least that's something.

nyr5186

May 12, 2002
New Orleans
Visit site
J F M said:
Not surprised in the least. IMO until the U.S. becomes THE supreme hockey power in the world, it will languish far behind other sports.

IMO until the 2nd coming of the Ice Age occurs, freezing all the basketball courts and football fields and baseball parks in the country with a thick sheet of ice, hockey will continue to be the "other" sport. And besides, its not like yesterday was just another dull sports day. With the NFL playoffs in full gear, the Pete Rose situation, and the big NBA trade, I wouldnt expect the WJC to get much attention.

Frozen North

Healthy Scratch
Oct 8, 2002
OK
Visit site
eSabre said:
The game winning goal was #1 in the Top 10 Plays

Yeah, I saw that after I had posted...must have missed it the first time around.

Don't be surprised if there is minimal coverage next year in North Dakota....

SpaceGhost79

Mar 8, 2002
JetRanger said:
Yeah, I saw that after I had posted...must have missed it the first time around.

Don't be surprised if there is minimal coverage next year in North Dakota....

I'm not surprised at all. TV here in the U.S. is all about ratings, and hockey is the least watched of the four major sports (football, baseball, basketball are all well ahead). Hell, a game between the Wings and Avs on ESPN usually only draws about a million or so viewers, which isn't much. If a big pro game like that only draws a small audience, do you really think a bunch of 18 year olds no one outside of college hockey fans have heard of (an even smaller audience) is going to do much for them? Absolutely not. This isn't Canada.

College football was wrapping up their season, NFL's in playoffs, and pro and college basketball and the NHL are in their seasons. Fit all those highlights/segments/discussion into 45 minutes, toss in 15 minutes of commercials, and you're left with about 15 seconds for Marc-Andre Fleury scoring on himself. At least they picked a good highlight to show :D

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Hockey has never generated the TV revenues enjoyed by the other major sports and the rating have actually decreased over the past five years or so. I remember hockey being considered the next big new thing back in the latter eighties and early nineties. Today it is merely viewed as a boring game that is totally pase.

There are still pockets in the U.S., however, where the game is doing quite well. The midwest is one of them. Hockey is as popular as football in North Dokata. The state is also located next to the Canadian border so expect a well attended World Junior Championship.

Frozen North

Healthy Scratch
Oct 8, 2002
OK
Visit site
VOB said:
Hockey has never generated the TV revenues enjoyed by the other major sports and the rating have actually decreased over the past five years or so. I remember hockey being considered the next big new thing back in the latter eighties and early nineties. Today it is merely viewed as a boring game that is totally pase.

There are still pockets in the U.S., however, where the game is doing quite well. The midwest is one of them. Hockey is as popular as football in North Dokata. The state is also located next to the Canadian border so expect a well attended World Junior Championship.

No doubt in my mind that at least half of the Tournement-ticket holders will be travelling down from across the border. I've also heard that they offered UND season ticket holders first dibs for Tournement ticket packages, and they bought up a lot of them. So the majority of the crowds will be UND fans and Canadians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad