News Article: ESPN the magazine article "Nuts about the Bolts"

Bolto

?
Nov 3, 2006
Spring Hill, FL
I usually don't get my hockey news from ESPN but I get the magazine and when I opened the latest issue I came across a one page article, "Nuts about the Bolts".

The gist of the story is that the Bolts statistically have the biggest home/away point differential and biggest home/away win differential in the NHL when you look at the last five years. They're not saying we're lousy on the road. The article focuses on our having a big home ice advantage due to the local fan base. They point out we've played to 96.2 percent capacity at home this year and they cite the Sticks of Fire cheering section as an example of what the home crowd is like.

Nice to get some respect from the out of town media.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I usually don't get my hockey news from ESPN but I get the magazine and when I opened the latest issue I came across a one page article, "Nuts about the Bolts".

The gist of the story is that the Bolts statistically have the biggest home/away point differential and biggest home/away win differential in the NHL when you look at the last five years. They're not saying we're lousy on the road. The article focuses on our having a big home ice advantage due to the local fan base. They point out we've played to 96.2 percent capacity at home this year and they cite the Sticks of Fire cheering section as an example of what the home crowd is like.

Article is ********. Real fans only exist in Original 6 markets.

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa

Nice. And I sit sometimes with the sticks of fire guys. Did last night actually, they are electric. Very loud and get the crowd pumping. Ear poppers

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Going to Ranger games at MSG was a different experience for me, you sit down in the lower sections and are surrounded by corporate people, people with suit and ties closing a business deal on the phone, it's like hello there is a hockey game on. Went to Tampa for my first Lightning game, sat center ice about 10 rows back from the ice, paid a fraction of what it would of cost in NY, and was surrounded by fans screaming and carrying on doing what fans do. The outside party at Thunder Alley was also a great experience, and loved the outdoor deck as well. I mean you do that in MSG, you'll freeze your ass off, faster than the ice they are playing on, lol.

I guess living in the NYC area I'm bored and tired of it, rather be surrounded by palm trees in nice weather with nicer people. People are miserable in NY, and they bring that negative energy to the games, which is why I am not going on Monday, and going to the Islanders game instead. MSG has become a pool of greed and for the average family to go to a hockey game there, they cannot. Was impressed with Tampa's low parking prices as well, 10 bucks? Sure, better than 55.00 at the Garden.

I guess just because the weather is warm outside does not mean there can't be a huge local hockey fan base. Last time I checked it's pretty warm all year long in LA, and they are doing pretty damn well.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Going to Ranger games at MSG was a different experience for me, you sit down in the lower sections and are surrounded by corporate people, people with suit and ties closing a business deal on the phone, it's like hello there is a hockey game on. Went to Tampa for my first Lightning game, sat center ice about 10 rows back from the ice, paid a fraction of what it would of cost in NY, and was surrounded by fans screaming and carrying on doing what fans do. The outside party at Thunder Alley was also a great experience, and loved the outdoor deck as well. I mean you do that in MSG, you'll freeze your ass off, faster than the ice they are playing on, lol.

I guess living in the NYC area I'm bored and tired of it, rather be surrounded by palm trees in nice weather with nicer people. People are miserable in NY, and they bring that negative energy to the games, which is why I am not going on Monday, and going to the Islanders game instead. MSG has become a pool of greed and for the average family to go to a hockey game there, they cannot. Was impressed with Tampa's low parking prices as well, 10 bucks? Sure, better than 55.00 at the Garden.

I guess just because the weather is warm outside does not mean there can't be a huge local hockey fan base. Last time I checked it's pretty warm all year long in LA, and they are doing pretty damn well.

Where is the parking at MSG?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Where is the parking at MSG?

You have to go to a parking garage in the city. They are all around. Just have to be careful, since All of them in a 5 or so block radius will have "event rates" posted, and will charge a minimum of $50.00.

If you have a SUV, lol. That is like another 25.00 surcharge for that.

If you plan to go to a game, take the train into the city, or park about 8 or 10 blocks away from the garden and on 9th or 10th Ave, you will pay around $15.00 to $20.00, but will have a long walk. That is what I used to do when I had season tickets.

tattooedsean

Hockey Maniac!
May 16, 2012
Arizona
Nice. And I sit sometimes with the sticks of fire guys. Did last night actually, they are electric. Very loud and get the crowd pumping. Ear poppers

That is so awesome! Traveling to Europe once a year or every other year, I get to experience the "ultra" supporter atmosphere at European football and hockey games and they really play a key role in helping their clubs home and away.

I think too many fans are too reactive rather than being proactive in creating atmospheres to help their team no matter what the score might be to help spur them on to victory.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
I love Sticks of Fire, never understood the hatred of some people about them. Would you rather have a Supporters Group type atmosphere or a bunch of people who only cheer when the jumbotron tells you to?

tattooedsean

Hockey Maniac!
May 16, 2012
Arizona
I love Sticks of Fire, never understood the hatred of some people about them. Would you rather have a Supporters Group type atmosphere or a bunch of people who only cheer when the jumbotron tells you to?

100000000% in agreement with you. I remember growing up in Michigan going to Tigers games, we would start the chants and the claps. We didn't need a scoreboard to tell us when to make any noise. Too reactive these days.

You really need to check out AIK Stockholm's hockey ultra supporters and the atmosphere they create at their games over in Sweden on youtube if you have a moment. It is crazy there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad