ESPN Ranks NHL Coaches

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
If they're measuring it solely based on the ability to squeeze wins/points out of the roster hand they're dealt, sure. My criticisms of DT have little to do with his bottom line, which is ability to get the team to win games. Furthermore, it's actually Jim Playfair I have the most criticisms of with on-ice stuff. That guy needs to go.

#10 is probably a fair assessment.

Did I just agree with something ESPN said about hockey? Brb slamming my ears in the oven door.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
If it was just x's and o's tip should be top 5. Imo he should drop further than he did though because of his player selection and how he manages ice time.

letbob

Mar 15, 2008
Chandler, AZ
He should be ranked where the Coyotes finish in the NHL rankings.
He has had more than enough time to develop a consistent winning system, compile a competitive roster and field a team that challenges opponents each and every game.
Don't think his ranking will be much better than 20.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
To me coaching is based on getting the sum to perform better than the parts. Part of why the Coyotes perform better than expectations is Tip. He is a top 5 coach as he does more with less. Look at this year, most polls would have us at 27th or worse for the year. I think we will be somewhere between 14th-22nd mostly because of Tip.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
He should be ranked where the Coyotes finish in the NHL rankings.
He has had more than enough time to develop a consistent winning system, compile a competitive roster and field a team that challenges opponents each and every game.
Don't think his ranking will be much better than 20.

As much I'm anti tip by now, I don't think that's quite fair. The players play a pretty big role. He definitely does make our lack of talent worse though by choosing to play scrubs, and by pairing our few offensively gifted guys with the likes of klink and moss.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
As much I'm anti tip by now, I don't think that's quite fair. The players play a pretty big role. He definitely does make our lack of talent worse though by choosing to play scrubs, and by pairing our few offensively gifted guys with the likes of klink and moss.

Klink, Moss are injured now and Chip has been a scratch lately. Perennial whipping boys, including Schlemko are out now.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Klink, Moss are injured now and Chip has been a scratch lately. Perennial whipping boys, including Schlemko are out now.

Precisely because two of them are out because of injury means he doesn't get credit for playing other guys. As many have said it's taken injuries to force him to play guys who when they play are better than those they've replaced. His giant bias against anyone who hasn't already played in the nhl has and will continue to hurt his teams and it should count against him when evaluating him as a coach.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Arbitrary.

Dallas Eakins has forgotten more about hockey than anyone in this forum knows and he would coach circles around any of us.

Sutter, Quenneville and Babcock get credit for putting Doughty, Toews and Zetterberg on the ice a lot?

Whatever.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Arbitrary.

Dallas Eakins has forgotten more about hockey than anyone in this forum knows and he would coach circles around any of us.

Sutter, Quenneville and Babcock get credit for putting Doughty, Toews and Zetterberg on the ice a lot?

Whatever.

Like I said, the list is a joke.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Arbitrary.

Whatever.

We need an experiment to decide! Sutter will take over Edmonton, Quenneville gets the helm in Buffalo, and Babcock is moving to south Florida. Let's see how good they are now. :naughty:

Edit: on second thought, I think the right coach could do something with the Oilers

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad