News Article: ESPN Prospect Rankings: Wings #4

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
I know, it's ESPN... But for what it's worth, they have the Wings 4th. It's interesting they named Augastine as the notable G prospect, and not Cossa. Buff was #1, BTW.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
K just checked lol ... as much as I wanted yzerman to grab musty I'd say we have a better prospect pool than sj

Same with cbj ... fantilli and jiricek are already in the nhl playing. I like our pool, 2 potential starters a few guys that can play top 4 on d. Two centers yet to come and some wingers with potential

Like I said, if in yzerman if we have say pick 13 I'm trading that pick and the 2nd and 3rd and even a veleno if I have to , to move up say 5 spots to grab a eiserman,iginla,demidov if he drops ... someone with huge upside

After this season we'll be in the playoffs for a while. Malkin and letang getting older so theyll drop,caps will drop,not worried with nyi. Were taking off so grab a high end kid on the way out

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I definitely think Detroit is #1, the amount of talent and depth at every position is like no other in the league. Best goalie prospects AINEC.

If we're at say #13. Just in general, trading up is rather a very unlikely scenario that I don't see Yzerman throwing his chips into at this point. As is landing Demidov (gone by pick #5) and Iginla (rising high, I see him gone by pick #8). Eiserman I'm not really interested in him as much as a high-octane play driving winger like Sennecke or Greentree. Both of which have massive offensive upside but are top 6 boom or bust.

I honestly have no idea how this coming draft will shape out. Like I'm starting to be of the impression a guy like Catton might fall out of the top 10, which is quite the thought at this point.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
I definitely think Detroit is #1, the amount of talent and depth at every position is like no other in the league. Best goalie prospects AINEC.

If we're at say #13. Just in general, trading up is rather a very unlikely scenario that I don't see Yzerman throwing his chips into at this point. As is landing Demidov (gone by pick #5) and Iginla (rising high, I see him gone by pick #8). Eiserman I'm not really interested in him as much as a high-octane play driving winger like Sennecke or Greentree. Both of which have massive offensive upside but are top 6 boom or bust.

I honestly have no idea how this coming draft will shape out. Like I'm starting to be of the impression a guy like Catton might fall out of the top 10, which is quite the thought at this point.

I could see Helenius dropping.. smaller center, not as dynamic

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I am curious how many teams have actually traded up into the top 10 on draft day in the last decade. Something tells me the realization rate is pretty low.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022

The good 'news' is that Boston is last, and both Ottawa and TB are in the bottom 4. Detroit is already ahead of Ottawa with blue chips still on the way.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023

When would he throw in his chips? This will very likely be the last chance to add another top 10 pick . Agree with you that iginla is rising , maybe hes there at 8 who knows ... demidov I'm sure some teams will be afraid of the Russian factor

Either way if we have 13th pick and we can trade that pick and a 2nd & 3rd and Wallinder/veleno type for someone we really covet I'd just do it

Eiserman will score goals he might never be yzermans 2 way guy he loves but we also need offense and he can play with those types of players like larkin danielson kasper so I'd have zero problem

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I am curious how many teams have actually traded up into the top 10 on draft day in the last decade. Something tells me the realization rate is pretty low.

Up into the top 5 it's borderline impossible. Occasionally people move back from say 6-10 spots. But yes what you said it is rare.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
If it looks like Eisermann is going to be in that 8-10 range and the Wings are sitting at 12-13 I could see them packaging Berggren and their pick to move up and snag him. He is exactly what they need...he will still be 17 at the draft, is already 6', 200 pounds, and scored at a goal per game clip this entire season.

I really don't think Berggren is Wings property post draft regardless.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

A lot will change after u18 tournament, in couple of weeks

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
The Atlantic is too tough to think this will be the Wings' last crack at a good prospect. They could finish 7th next year pretty easily, 10th OA or worse in EC. There will be Eisermans (meh) and Iginlas (sure) available next year too. Mid-first round they will have a chance at a good player. When he finally finishes growing Sennecke could end up better than some top 10 picks. As mentioned by lilidk, still a ways to go in evaluation process and things that will leak from team sources into public realm. So many D projected in top 15 is good for the Wings.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
The Atlantic is too tough to think this will be the Wings' last crack at a good prospect. They could finish 7th next year pretty easily, 10th OA or worse in EC. There will be Eisermans (meh) and Iginlas (sure) available next year too. Mid-first round they will have a chance at a good player. When he finally finishes growing Sennecke could end up better than some top 10 picks. As mentioned by lilidk, still a ways to go in evaluation process and things that will leak from team sources into public realm. So many D projected in top 15 is good for the Wings.
bruins are bound to drop ,cant keep this up with no top 6 c. Ullmark likely gets dealt

Division is tough but still think we can make it . Pens and caps getting older. Likely 5 teams from our division next season

Always said next season would be the year we make noise and get in. Play some kids, take out some trash and fix our defense. If it were me i'd a move to jump 5 spots if it's someone that's worth it . We have a deep prospect pool so we can afford to throw in a 2nd and a 3rd

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
bruins are bound to drop ,cant keep this up with no top 6 c. Ullmark likely gets dealt

Division is tough but still think we can make it . Pens and caps getting older. Likely 5 teams from our division next season

Always said next season would be the year we make noise and get in. Play some kids, take out some trash and fix our defense. If it were me i'd a move to jump 5 spots if it's someone that's worth it . We have a deep prospect pool so we can afford to throw in a 2nd and a 3rd

Yeah, I don't disagree that there could be an opportunity for the Wings to move up in the standings. And they have enough prospect depth that they could decide to sacrifice quantity picks for more quality. But "could" is the operative word here. Much of their potential to move up in the standings will be determined by off-season acquisitions. Trading up in the top half of the Draft rarely happens.

To challenge for a top four Atlantic spot they have to upgrade their top six and find a good 2RD. They would also have to vastly improve play in their own end and having Ed full-time is only part of the solution. Wings were actually quite lucky this season with injuries and we saw what happened when Larkin was out for just a couple weeks and Lyon needed a little holiday. There are pretty equal reasons for both optimism and pessimism next season.

I don't see any of the Atlantic top four dropping off significantly any time soon. They have stars in their prime, Cap is going up and will allow for better bottom roster. Buffalo has more young talent already in the lineup and Ottawa arguably equal to Detroit, both have more good prospects coming. Even Montreal should be better next season. Jersey was killed by injuries but will benefit from rooke D getting experience and Hamilton coming back. Islanders' key players are all in their prime, Pittsburgh's demise is predicted every season. Caps are going to continue trying to give Ovie a playoff chance. Philly has a good group of young players and Drysdale was a great add. Even Columbus will be better. To me, there are six good, not great teams in the EC; most of the rest somewhere in a huge mass of mediocrity and capable of going either way. This is what the NHL wants, though, and it's only going to continue.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I feel like Boston has earned the benefit of the doubt at this point

like half this forum was saying they would drop off this year in the offseason and I had people jumping on me for simply pointing out how good their Defense and Goalies were and how Pastrnak managed to put up 113 points last year even with none of his teammates hitting 70 and saying they would make the Playoffs

well here they are about to win the Division again after competing for the President's Trophy all year

Reactions: RabidBadger

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
I feel like Boston has earned the benefit of the doubt at this point

like half this forum was saying they would drop off this year in the offseason and I had people jumping on me for simply pointing out how good their Defense and Goalies were and how Pastrnak managed to put up 113 points last year even with none of his teammates hitting 70 and saying they would make the Playoffs

well here they are about to win the Division again after competing for the President's Trophy all year

Absolutely. McAvoy and Lindholm are really good and they may have another good D in rookie Lohrei. Pastrnak and Marchand are still great and they may have a good future C in rookie Poitras. They have a culture in place and quality leaders in their prime to keep it going. Also TB is not going to decline much for a while. Even without Sergachev they've been as good as any EC team since Jan. 1.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
and pick up another Copp/Compher in Free Agency as well

surely this time if we can just get Sean Monahan or Adam Henrique it'll fix everything

At least we didn't trade a 1st for Henrique like some tire kickers out there.

WFIAA

Aug 2, 2016
I'm curious, if our prospect pool is so good, why was there no one to call up at forward when Copp went down except a career minor leaguer? Who is the elite player that is going to be on the roster next season? I'd love it if it was true, but I think our prospect pool is pretty shallow, we have some middle of the road players possibly but nothing that will be top 3 in the forwards or top pairing defensively.

Reactions: DamonDRW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad